*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2067107-Respect
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Monologue · Cultural · #2067107
Is the "Golden Rule" really the definition of respect?
Many people have referred to the Golden Rule ("Do unto others as you would have them do unto you")as the way to show respect to another individual. In many instances doing unto others as you would have them do unto you is a sign of disrespect.The word "RESPECT" has been defined as "a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements...". Often times people will use generic terms like Mr, Mrs, Ma'am, Sir, etc as a sign of respect. While these terms are a generally accepted as respectful, they do not always make the person being referred to feel good. For example when I am around younger people who may or may not know me they will refer to me as Miss D. There are times when this makes me feel good and there are times when it doesn't. Sometimes when people call me Miss D it makes me feel old. While I am no spring chicken, I don't really see myself as an "old lady". I guess it would be hard to know what to call me without really taking the time to find out.

If we were to break the word respect down, it really means to look again (re-spect), see me for who I really am. Instead of treating me the way you want to be treated, try getting to know me and treating me the way I want to be treated.
© Copyright 2015 Beykirah Dessie (dlighten at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2067107-Respect