*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2067633-Loss-of-Excellence
Rated: E · Thesis · Cultural · #2067633
Have we stopped reaching for excellence?
I'm feeling a deep sense of aggravation that causes me to stop and consider its source. I recently changed companies I work for because of the lack of excellence, from leadership to co-workers, along with the childishness of co-workers. It might be a fault of mine that I strive for excellence in the tasks that I undertake because I feel a responsibility for the products that I make and the job that I accomplish. However, I am finding more and more that others don't feel this sense of obligation.

For them it is just a job and they don't want to put any more effort than necessary in doing it. They complain about too much work and then complain if they have to stop what they are doing to meet the need of a guest or fellow employee. It seems everyone is out to make themselves look good while finding every opportunity to throw others under the bus. When have we all become the police to watch what everyone around is doing instead of concentrating on our own job and work ethic? Then these same people do the very things they complain others are doing. Our society even seems to reward those who stroke the egos of leadership rather than being on time for work and completing the tasks set before them.

I guess what I am asking is what has happened to reaching for excellence? We have become a spoiled nation thinking we are entitled to receive a paycheck if we show up at work. We aren't required to actually do the work well, be a self-starter, or do our job with excellence. When if was a teenager my first job was given to me at the age of 14. I learned to do what I was asked and to do it well. This led me to be a valued employee to many of the companies for which I worked. It makes a person feel proud to do a job well.

I hope that this will cause you to take a moment and consider what kind of co-worker you happen to be. Are you on time to work? Are you a self starter? Do you waste time and make excuses for not getting tasks completed? Do you look to blame others for your lack of work?

Be the one who goes beyond what is asked of you. A self starter who doesn't need to be told to start, continue, or finish a project. Be EXCELLENT! Not common....

© Copyright 2015 scribbler67 (picaso7 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2067633-Loss-of-Excellence