*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2068593-Contreras
Rated: E · Other · Other · #2068593
Troubles with speed limit.
Contreras
The speed limit on Contreras Road is 25 miles per hour for just about the first mile down the road as you head west out of Oxford. However, this speed limit is impractical and difficult to achieve. If you are driving East on Contreras, towards Oxford, in order to maintain the posted speed limit you have to ride your brakes from the beginning of the golf course until you reach Lynn Avenue. If you fail to press your foot against the brake your coasting car will exceed the speed limit without you ever engaging the accelerator. If you pass Heritage subdivision going 25 miles per hour, your car will reach 30-35 miles per hour as you pass the Oxford Country Club parking lot unless you apply and ride your brakes. After you have passed the country club and gone down the hill past Hilltop Road, your speed will increase to nearly 40 miles per hour as you approach Dick Road. If the speed limit was increased to 35 miles per hour on Contreras you would barely have to press the brakes or the accelerator to maintain the posted speed.
Contreras is a very straight road with easy visibility far down the road ahead of you. As you drive West on Contreras out of Oxford, below the hill it is fairly residential with multiple roads and private driveways connected to it. When you reach the top of the hill, there is a half-mile stretch with no houses on the North side of the road and only 8 driveways on the South side. Plus, there are only two roads connected to Contreras on that half-mile stretch. With nothing but a golf course on your right and 8 houses on your left for nearly half a mile, this should not be considered a residential area. Additionally, there is a sidewalk on the North side of Contreras in this area providing added safety for pedestrians. Therefore, I don’t understand the reasoning for the 25 mile per hour speed limit from the top of the hill all the way West past Stone Creek and Prevalent Drive, where the speed limit actually increases to 35 miles per hour.
I have seen more people being pulled over by police on Contreras than any other road in Oxford. It is a regular sight to see an officer parked on the South side of the street or in the Oxford Country Club parking lot ready to ticket a driver for exceeding the speed limit. I am sure the excuse for most offenders is that they were not pressing the accelerator and, for that reason, did not think that they were speeding. Going 35 miles per hour on Contreras Road is safe from Stone Creek Drive to Hilltop Road. I hope that the City of Oxford can come to the same conclusion and agree to increase the speed limit in this area on Contreras Road.
© Copyright 2015 samwespi (samwespi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2068593-Contreras