*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2068624-Shalas-Christmas
Rated: E · Fiction · Drama · #2068624
Little Shala's Christmas present.
Prompt for 12/15

Write a 300 word story that includes the words: curtains, heart, copper

Have fun!



Dressed in Barbie pyjamas, five-year-old Shala peeked out the curtains. Christmas lights glittered in the yard.

"Mommy?"

"Yes?" Tiffany held her breath, afraid of what Shala might say.

Tiffany glanced at the chimney. Stockings hung from it just like tinsel hung from the Christmas tree, but that was not what caught her attention. It wasn't even the flickering flames in the fireplace. It was the envelope.

The envelope was not a Christmas card. In fact, it had arrived six months ago. That was when her world ended. The day the papers made it official – missing in action – presumed dead. Danny was dead.

Tiffany struggled to control her quivering lip. She couldn't let Shala know how broken her heart was.

The phone rang.

"Hi, Jimmy" Tiffany said. "Sure. See you in a little while."

"Mommy, can we go see the lights?" Shala pointed outside the window.

Tiffany padded over and caressed Shala's copper hair. She looked just like Danny. She always had.

"Not now, Angel."

"But Mommy, tomorrow's Christmas."

Christmas without Danny. Tiffany hiccupped. She turned around and shuffled over to the chimney and touched the letter. It shouldn't be there. It never should have even come. Danny promised to always be there, and now he was gone. Gone, and they would never see him again. Tiffany wiped the tear from her cheek.

A few boxes covered in wrapping paper huddled under the Christmas tree. They were simple gifts, but that was all they could afford anymore.

"Mommy, Mommy, it's Santa Clause."

Jimmy with presents. He knew how to make his niece smile.

The doorbell rang, and Tiffany opened the door.

"Mommy, Mommy, it's Santa Clause!" Shala said from between Tiffany's knees.

A wisp of copper hair mingled in the fake beard, and Danny's eyes sparkled.

"Ho, ho, ho! Merry Christmas!"

© Copyright 2015 Tadpole1 (tadpole1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2068624-Shalas-Christmas