*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2069181-Broken-World
by LoganT
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Opinion · #2069181
Hello. this is my first story, so hopefully it goes well.
Okay, to get questions out of the way, this is more of something I'm doing to relieve myself of something that's been weighing myself down for a very long time. But, be that as it may, I'm interested in seeing who else realizes this as well, so that is why I am leaving this on public. Okay, to start with, the title. "Broken World". I chose that for the title to show potential readers what it is that I am currently trying to tell people what I see when I look at the world. I see it as broken. Some people do not, and I understand how that is possible. But, what the point I am trying to get across is to at least show or introduce some people to the issues that stand in our world at the current time that are ruining it and making it harder for people to live properly or to live safely. The main things I will be talking about are crime, basic necessities needed to live that some people don't get, and a select few other things. This is not a rant. This is my opinion on the shape of how the world is right now.

Topic One: Crime. From what I have found through research online, there are multiple reasons that drive people to commit a crime. Some people do it to feel superior to others, Some people do it for survival purposes (example; stealing food), and others do it for the adrenaline rush they get from it. Whatever the reason the criminals reasons are, they still commit some sort of crime. There is no fix for crime, but there is a fix to reduce it. If someone does not have money for food, large store corporations could donate a small percentage of the food they buy to a charity or two, maybe a homeless shelter as well, which would almost deplete the amount of criminals that steal for survival purposes. For food drives, instead of donating food that you yourself wouldn't eat, just donate money to the charity the drive is for, as "...the first thing the food pantry does with all our old cans Throw half of them out." Just by donating money to those said charities, you can help them afford food that they can actually give to people who need it that isn't expired or that you wouldn't eat yourself. The worst part with that problem is that "one in every seven Americans rely on food pantries to help them feed their families." So, long story short, the best way to lower some crime is by donating some money to your local food pantry or a nearby food drive instead of donating old cans you found in your cabinets that you don't even know when you bought it in the first place.

Topic Two: lack of shelter for those who need it. Before you think I'm dumb for adding something like this in here, let me explain the reason before you jump to conclusions. This is on here due to the fact that, since the only way people can live properly and not have to take any risks is by living somewhere indoors. The shelters that are built are only built for one floor. Two if the people were lucky. Granted, it is better than nothing, but, due to the lack of a basement or any big enough room without windows, it still leaves them vulnerable to certain weather conditions that could kill them. But, due to the lack of money and time these shelters have to add on or to do any construction to the shelters, the owners can't fix any of it to make it any safer. This is an example of another time when it is necessary to donate money to those who need it more than you do yourself.

Topic Three: Lack of funds for Forensic Science and Security. For this one, i will be explaining why the two actually need more funds to progress on making things safer from both Criminals and Terrorists. Everyone knows about what happened on 9/11. It has become a part of American history. Since then, supposed safety precautions have been added to help protect from terrorists. But, however, "...there's very little evidence the TSA has ever stopped a terrorist or found a real bomb.", which takes away the reason that they are even needed. The TSA has been proved inefficient more than you think. At one point, Homeland Security tested the TSA to see how well they could do their job, and "the TSA failed to find mock weapons and explosives 95% of the time.", which also proves how unneccesary they are for security. If they don't do their jobs as well as they're supposed to, how can they protect us from potential terrorists if they can't even stop them from boarding the planes? That is how that needs fixed. If the government just sets some funds aside to get proper training for the TSA, then they would probably be more efficient at their job than they are now. Now to talk about Forensic Science. Everyone thinks that this can never be fooled. everyone thinks that the polygraph is never wrong, that comparing fingerprints can lead straight to the person who committed the crime, and that DNA tests can do the same, when, really, they can't do any of those. "Truthful people fail polygraphs all the time, just because they're sweaty and nervous. And all you have to do to beat it is stay super chill. Criminals do it all the time. One infamous example is Gary Ridgway, aka the Green River Killer". this tells you that it can be fooled. doesn't matter what you think. if you know what to do, you can fool it, making it inefficient. And fingerprints are not too different. Due to our current level of technology, we have no way of absolutely knowing what prints belong to what person. "Take the case of Brandon Mayfield. He was arrested for the Madrid train bombings when the world's top fingerprint experts said he was a perfect match for a print found at the scene." This is another thing funds could be more well-spend on. instead of making things seem safer, they need to spend the funds on parts of technology that already works, instead of stuff that doesn't actually work.

Sources:"You should know that one in every seven Americans rely on food pantries to help them feed their families."

United States. USDA. USDA Economic Research Report. By Alisha Coleman-Jensen, Christian Gregory, and Anita Singh. Vol. 173. Washington DC: USDA, 2014. Print.

"You know the first thing the food pantry does with all our old cans? They throw half of them out."

United States. UW Extension. Nutrition Education Program. Keep or Toss Survey For Foods Donated To Food Pantries Summary of 2013 Survey Results. Print.

"Actually, there's very little evidence the TSA has ever stopped a terrorist or found a real bomb."

Lapidos, Juliet. "Does the TSA Ever Catch Terrorists?" Slate. Slate, 18 Nov. 2010. Web.

"When Homeland Security tested them, the TSA failed to find mock weapons and explosives 95% of the time."

Fishel, Justin, Pierre Thomas, Mike Levine, and Jack Date. "EXCLUSIVE: Undercover DHS Tests Find Security Failures at US Airports." Good Morning America. ABC. New York, New York, 1 June 2015. ABC News. Web.

"Take the case of Brandon Mayfield. He was arrested for the Madrid train bombings when the world's top fingerprint experts said he was a perfect match for a print found at the scene."

"The Real CSI." Frontline. PBS. WGBH, Boston, Massachusetts, 17 Apr. 2012. PBS. Web.
"Truthful people fail polygraphs all the time, just because they're sweaty and nervous. And all you have to do to beat it is stay super chill. Criminals do it all the time. Some infamous examples include Gary Ridgway, aka the Green River Killer..."

"The Curious Story of How the Lie Detector Came to Be." BBC News. The BBC, 21 May 2013. Web.


© Copyright 2015 LoganT (logant194 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2069181-Broken-World