*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2070110-A-Different-Kind-Of-Flea
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2070110
Johnny saves the world.
"Mom, Dad," Johnny said, "I found a flea on Boo. Not just any flea."

The family cat had run away to the nearby woods. Johnny was happy she'd returned. They'd been playing. His stopped his parents as they were going out.

"His name is Alva. He performs tricks. Like taking a leap into the air, and turning back flips," Johnny said with a grin, which he quickly lost.

"And, he warned me about evil fleas, driven out of his universe, coming to invade Earth."

"Oh Johnny," Mom said, "what a wonderful imagination. Tell your story to the kids in the neighborhood. You might make some friends."

His parents laughed as they left. "Good idea," Dad said. "Johnny needs more friends."

"They thought I was making up a story," Johnny told Alva. "I'll try to stop the invaders myself."

"Be careful Johnny," Alva squeaked. "They could go after you. They've landed in the swamp, and will be hatching soon."

Johnny thought that a large flea collar made from the small ones they had for Boo, would keep the evil fleas from getting loose. But even stretched, they weren't long enough.

The flea eggs in the water were starting to move around. He had to act.

Improving on his Mom's suggestion, he brought Boo and Alva, as he ran to the sandlot ball field where a bunch of kids were playing.

The kids were convinced by Alva's tricks, and his story. "Will you help me with my new idea?" Johnny asked.

"Sure, sure," they all hollered.

"We'll need some shovels," Johnny said. "Here's the plan."

And it worked!

Plus their project won first prize in the school's science fair. It came with a motto, "when you're up to your knees in evil fleas, you have to remember to drain the swamp."

© Copyright 2015 Sailor M (sailor40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2070110-A-Different-Kind-Of-Flea