*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2070650-Gun-Control
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Ally
Rated: E · Article · Educational · #2070650
Gun control topics.
Ally Forbes

12/13/15

Composition II

Gun Control

         Due to recent shootings, gun control has become a very controversial issue throughout the United States. Gun control is the ârestrictions on what kinds of firearms can be sold, who can possess or sell them, and where and how they can stored or carriedâ (Pena 3). Also included under this topic is restrictions on ammunition and magazines. The question in the spot light is whether gun control needs to become stricter and how the government is going to accomplish that. Many people are affected by this topic, from competition shooters to people with conceal to carry permits and even hunters. People against gun control are interested in the arming soldiers, background check system, and the permit for concealed carry.
There has been a growing number of shootings on army bases in the United States. Gun control opponents believe this is due to the ban placed in 1993, that doesnât allow service members to carry weapons on the base. At Fort Hood base, a gunman shot nineteen unarmed servicemen and three men died (Stockman 3). Once a military police officer arrived at the scene, the gunman shot himself. If the men and women on the base were armed, someone could have stopped the gunman before he hurt anyone else. Steve Stockman gave an example of where this method was successful, âA Monday shooting at a Los Angeles police station was stopped in seconds by an officer carrying a weapon. Only one officer was woundedâ (6).
The current gun control laws âprohibit certain people from owning firearms: those with certain kinds of criminal records or mental illness; drug addicts; immigrants without legal status; veterans who left the military with a dishonorable discharge; anyone with a permanent restraining orderâ (Pena 6). This is all that is needed to keep firearms out of the hands of incapable people. However, gun control advocates would comment on the multiple, recent shootings that have happened involving guns and the mentally unstable. Gabrielle Giffords was shot by a man who was later considered mentally unstable. She says, âWe need a comprehensive approach: a surge in mental health services, mental health âfirst aidâ programs to identify and intervene in problems before itâs too late, and a background check system that will stop the most dangerous among us from buying gins, by getting records in the systemâ (9). This proposal of surging mental health services would prevent a large amount of people getting their hands on firearms.
Gun rights advocates are also in favor of educating children and adults on the proper ways of handling guns. Heidi Cifelli, the manager of the National Rifle Associationâs Eddie Eagle Gun Safe Program says, âGun education is not mandatory in any state as for as we know, but of course we think all schools should have it. Gun education is the best way to save young lives.â These education programs would teach many age groups. The younger kids would be taught by telling them that guns should only be handled by parents. For the older kids, they would teach gun safety and how to properly handle guns.
Another major issue gun control advocates debate on is the permit to concealed carry. This permit allows people who have applied, to carry a weapon (such as a handgun) in public in a concealed manner, either on themselves or close to themselves. This is a controversial topic due to the fact that people could be carrying a weapon in public. Gun control advocates fear the permit for concealed carry because people with the permit could be or become dangerous. For example, Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis were both killed by a licensed concealed-carry holder (Dolan 26). However, the permit is actually a way to protect oneâs self. For example, MSNBC wrote in an article that some teachers in Utah are getting trained to handle guns. One of the teachers said, âIf we have the ability to stop something, we shouldâ (Juliano 10). Another reason for why the permit for concealed carry is effective is because many people who have the permit, donât use it. Adam Winkler, an UCLA professor and expert on gun laws says, âMost people donât want the attention and questions that guns in public attract. If you donât want guns on the street, the answer is open carryâ (Dolan 19). Gun rights advocates believe the permit is constitutional and is intended by the second amendment. âThe second amendment does require that the states permit some form of carry for self-defense outside the homeâ said Judge Diarmuid OâScannian (Dolan 4).
Since the news has featured many cases where there are victims of people with firearms, gun control has been a hot topic. However, the many people who abide the gun laws are being punished for the acts of others. For instance, there was a recent shooting match in Colorado canceled due to magazine restrictions. This competition was one of the largest pistol matches in the country (Huffington Post 1). This is one of the many reasons for why gun right advocates are all for arming soldiers, the background check, and the permit to concealed carry.


© Copyright 2016 Ally (allycat2798 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2070650-Gun-Control