*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2070769-The-Lone-Traveler---Part-Twenty-One
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #2070769
A young girl undertakes a fantastic and perilous journey in a Medieval like world.
The Lone Traveler

Chapter Twenty-One



“The man is dangerous,” Sean blurted to his two companions. “Why they put him in command o the combined armies, I’ll never know. Me Da stopped working with him years ago because he always cheated us. A man o true honour would nae do that.”

Pieter glanced at Sean and lowered his voice. “Don’t say that outside this tent. He is our new commander and I have heard that he shows no mercy to anyone. You could be in grave danger by simply looking at him the wrong way.”

“I heard he decimated half a Legion,” Sean returned. “Every tenth man was picked at random and was beaten to death by his tent mates. Some say it was their officer’s fault for refusing to advance and nae that o the men but the officer is a member o the royal family.”

“You’re both walking on thin ice,” Caltrop added, quickly glancing around the gloomy tent. “Everyone knows that the Tyberian Court never goes by fact but by innuendo and hearsay. Making a statement like that is enough to get you crucified, Sean. Both of you get some sleep!”

“I still think this is a dangerous and very risky plan,” Ryykon stated glancing at the assembled commanders. “We do not have the manpower or the properly fitted boats we need in order to cross to the island and the Angalund forces on the opposing bank have brought up hundreds of new archers and scorpions.”

“You would rather stand here and do nothing?” Emperor Licinius smugly countered. “What happened to the great war commander I once knew?” He turned and smirked at the other commanders. “I have been placed in command of the allied forces and this assault will go forward as planned, any more questions?”

“Ser Thoragild suggests it may be better to cross the river south of here with half our forces to keep the defending forces on the opposite bank occupied before attempting the assault,” Lord Haupt remarked. “I am inclined to agree with his position.”

“Are you refusing to command the forces designated to you?” Licinius questioned.

“I do not refuse but I do entertain grave reservations, Your Grace, Haupt contemptuously replied.

“You are relieved of your command,” Licinius angrily retorted. “Have your second in command assume your duties and you may leave the encampment at your leisure.”

An uproar broke out among the commanders in the large sweltering tent. “He represents the remaining Alatarian forces,” a tall Alatarian knight boomed. “You cannot dismiss our commander at a mere whim!”

Emperor Licinius gave him a cold stare then turned to Ryykon. “This is the kind of discipline you have allowed under your command,” he stated. “Small wonder you have not achieved your goals against the enemy.” He then turned and walked briskly out of the tent.

The allied assault began two hours after day break. The Camalund and Alatarian forces were on the left wing, the Viturian and Tyberian forces on the right. Five thousand armored knights and mounted infantry occupied the flanks. The plan was considered an infantry assault with the armor placed to counter enemy armor that may suddenly appear on this side of the great river.

The Angalund commanders on the far bank ordered their infantry to load into the boats and join their comrades on the island just before the assault was launched. By the time the allied forces reached the river, there was no one to fight as the few members of the Angalund armor had fled north away from the assaulting forces.

Licinius gave the signal for the newly made boats to be launched, each able to carry fifty infantry soldiers. The massive wave of over a hundred flat bottomed boats pushed out into the deep river with sweating men pulling on the heavy two man oars.

“This is the way we do in in Lugdunum,” Emperor Licinius shouted, enthusiastically pointing at the massive number of boats filling the waters. “Head on and straight at their throats.” He smiled then glanced to his right. “Where is the brigade of Khelti Archers I posted on the far right flank?”

“I committed them to other duties,” Ryykon casually stated. “They were of no use that far away from the enemy since their shafts could not make it to the far bank for indirect support.”

Emperor Licinius was furious at the countermanding of his direct orders. “You will never disregard my orders in the future,” he stated. “I am in command here, not you.”

As they watched the slow moving boats nearing the opposite bank, the Angalund armored knights suddenly wheeled and pulled back. Thousands of enemy archers moved forward along with scores of heavy scorpions and ballista. Within minutes they began to rain arrows into the clumsy boats. The scorpions launched shaft after shaft, skewering two and three men at a time, while the ballistas began to lob incendiary bombs into the boats, showering the occupants with fast burning fire. The boats nearest the shore were quickly devastated while the others tried to turn the clumsy barges around to escape the deadly hail. The Angalund forces gave no quarter but continued to pour deadly volleys into the boats without hindrance.

Suddenly, from the enemy left, arrow shafts began to strike the archers, ballista, and scorpion crews. They had not brought wicker shields down to protect themselves and the deadly rain of arrows from the allied Khelti Brigade was decimating them almost as badly as they had destroyed the first wave of the allied boats. Finally, when their shaft pouches were empty, at a signal from the Khelti Commander, the warriors broke into a jog back from whence they came. They had hidden small boats and flotation devices half a mile from their assault point so before the Angalund Knights could reach them, they were half way back across the river to allied territory.

Ryykon had been refused use of a counter force on the enemy side of the river, but he knew if the boats got into serious trouble, something would be needed to give them the chance to quickly disengage. Thankfully, he and the Khelti Commander had come up with this spur of the moment plan which had worked to perfection.

Head on and straight at their throats is a good shock plan, Ryykon thought, but not with a quarter mile of deep water between you and the enemy.

When he returned from congratulating the Khelti force, Emperor Licinius was waiting for him with a furious expression dominating his features. “Arrest this man and hold him for punishment,” Licinius ordered a large guard behind him.”

Ryykon shrugged but a loud roar caught his attention. He turned back to view the river and saw thousands of enemy forces crossing over for a counterattack. Suddenly, to the north they spotted a massive army of Angalund cavalry forces bearing down on them. A rider hastily approached the group on a lathered mount and quickly dismounted and ran to the Emperor. “Your Grace,” he bowed, “The Dragon Rider’s report a large enemy force coming up from the south. Most are infantry but a number of knights accompany them.”

“We’re being flanked,” Ryykon stated, glancing at the sweating Licinius. “You must command an orderly withdrawal.”

“I ordered you to arrest this man!” Licinius shouted at the guards around him. “Sound the retreat,” he commanded his buccinators. “The cavalry will secure our flanks and rear.” He then turned his mount and headed for the top of the incline.

For the remainder of that day and throughout the night, the allied forces fled from the pursuing Angalund cavalry. Early the next morning the enemy turned and headed back towards their own forces, as they had not been issued rations for a prolonged campaign and their war horses were exhausted. Emperor Licinius ordered camp to be made so the men and horses could rest and the long straggling line of infantry and supply wagons could catch up. After his command tent had been brought up and erected, he ordered Ryykon to be brought to him, in chains if necessary, but definitely unarmed.

When Ryykon entered the gloomy tent, he noticed that none of the other commanders were present. The only men in the tent with the Emperor were a squad of his personal guards, whom he called Praetorians. Licinius was sitting behind a field desk writing a dispatch. He looked up when Ryykon was shoved before him.

“You have been found guilty of gross negligence, failure to follow orders, and misuse of allied forces,” Licinius frowned. “By the authority granted me by the allied council at Camalund, you are hereby dismissed from command and from the allied armies. In addition, you are herewith placed in permanent exile and forbidden to return to any land claimed by the allied forces on penalty of death. A dispatch is being sent to the allied council. Have you anything to say before sentence is executed?”

Thoragild smiled. He knew it was useless to argue with the fanatic. The man would report whatever was in his own favor and an argument would only bring disaster down on his friends and fellow soldiers. “Do I have leave to take my mount and personal weapons, Your Grace?”

“All your property is forfeit to the realm,” Licinius replied. You must leave this encampment within the hour with nothing but the clothing you wear. Fail to do so and you will be whipped out of camp. Is that clear?”

Ryykon turned to leave the tent. “One last thing,” Licinius stated. “Anyone caught assisting you in any manner will share your punishment. You may go.”

“Where will you go?” Lord Haupt quietly asked Ryykon as he stood in a small circle of friends. “Licinius will have the cavalry shadowing you and the enemy will soon be pushing us back further into Alataria and Camalund. I am returning to Camalund to confront the council. Ride with me?”

“I cannot,” Ryykon replied, patting Lord Haupt on the shoulder. The Emperor will have men watching and you will be ridden down and forced into exile. You had best watch your back as you travel, and if you have any loyal supporters, I recommend they accompany you back to Camalund.” Lord Haupt grasped Ryykon’s arms in hand shake, then turned to leave.

“What of us?” Pieter asked, as your squires we should be allowed to accompany you.

“You will stay with the Army,” Ryykon replied, smiling at each of them. “When cooler heads are in command, I will return. The truth has a strange way of coming forth eventually. I recommend you join Ser David and his forces from Province Donedon. He is with an old campaigning friend of mine who will look after you.”

They watched as Ryykon strolled off heading in a northern direction. Within minutes he was lost from sight among the rolling hills. Half an hour later, they spotted Caltrop heading in the same direction riding his war horse with Ryykon’s horse in tow. A pile of goods, weapons, and equipment were tied on the trailing horse’s back.

“I pity the men who try to stop Caltrop,” Sean stated. “Where do you think they be a goin?”

Pieter turned back to his friend after watching Caltrop disappear over the nearest hill. “If I had to bet, I would say they’re heading for Nordlund,” he replied. “Ryykon has family there. He once noted that King Rangar Thoragson is a cousin of his. After Nordlund I think he will pay a sly visit to the city of Havenhall to try and locate a missing niece of his.”



They found David in one of the smaller tents left by his father, drinking a large goblet of wine. He was surprised to hear the news but did not remark on it. His reception of his old friends was somewhat chilly. “Ryykon is better off away from politics,” he stated in a slurred voice. “That’s the reason he was a schoolmaster instead of the King’s Protector. He kept butting in where he wasn’t wanted.”



“Aren’t we in the sweetest of moods?” Sean reflected. “Hanging oot with your lordling friends too much lately, ave ye?”



David gave him a frosty look. “You‘d best be heading for your own kind, Sean. I hear that the Khelti are pulling out with their tails between their legs, them and their Sidhe cohorts.”



“That was a masterful move by Ser Thoragild,” Pieter interjected in an attempt to warm the lingering chill in the tent. “The Khelti arrows gave the men in the boats time to pull back before more of them were slaughtered. They’re all heroes in my opinion.”



“No one asked your opinion,” David tartly replied. “Thoragild disobeyed orders with that move. He could have put the entire army at risk.”



“There would nae be much of an army left if the Khelti had not put the grey goose shafts to the Angalund archers and scorpion teams,” Sean retorted. “Most would be a floatin’ down the big river by now. Ser Thoraid was right all along. That’s the loikely reason me kin are a headin’ home.”



“I have important people due here any moment to discuss private affairs,” David stated. “So, if you will kindly move along I would appreciate it.”



“What buggering him?” Sean asked once they were outside and well clear of the tent. “I’m a thinkin’ the Ser part has gone and warped his noggin.”



“He’s been under a lot of stress lately,” Pieter offered as a friendly excuse. “Taking on responsibility for his father’s military forces and other matters has likely been brutal on him.”



“Well, I’m a goin’ ta find Ser Caimbeul and find oot what me clan is a doin,’ you want to be joinin’ me?”



“I think I’ll wander over to the Dragon Rider’s camp and see if there is any new word on Analia,” Pieter replied. “I’ll tell Talina you said hello.”



The Dragon Riders and Valkyri had been shadowing the army during its fast retreat, slowing down the enemy cavalry and reporting enemy dispositions. They had camped well down wind of the resting army so the horses and other animals would not panic from their smell. After a good twenty minutes, Pieter spotted them in a small valley after seeing one Dragon Rider take flight. He waved to several girls lounging around a small fire preparing a quick meal, receiving a number of catcalls in reply. Talina was standing among a small group of squadron and wing commanders near a supply tent.



“Is it true?” She immediately asked him. “Has that Tyberian bastard cashiered Ser Thoragild?”



“Sean and I watched as he left, heading north,” Pieter replied. “Caltrop left right behind him.”



“I’ll have some of the Riders trail them and if an enemy force moves to cut them off, we can at least give them warning,” Talina stated. “If they need supplies we can deliver them also. The Riders are none too happy at the news and the Valkyri are up in arms over the dismissal of Lord Haupt. Most of their families are trapped in Alation under siege. We watched the debacle at the river out of range of the scorpions and it could have been much worse if the Khelti had not flanked their archers.”



“By now most of the army and the Council back in Camalund will think it was the Emperor who saved the day with that move,” Pieter stated. “Ser Thoragild will receive the lion’s share of the guilt. Ryykon told me and Sean to remain behind but we have word that the Khelti are leaving along with the Sidhe. Sean went to find out if it was true or not. David is tied up with his family duties and I’m struggling to maintain my senses. Have you any word of Analia or Elise?”



“Nothing,” Talina replied. “As far as we know she is still a captive being held at the enemy siege camp. We did spot several small caravans heading east with prisoners weeks ago, so there is a possibility she was in one of them. As for Elise, no word, other than she made it to the enemy camp. Will you join with David’s forces or do you have other plans?”



Pieter looked at her and shrugged. “I got the impression that David is changing. He was very cool and short with me and Sean but I also fear losing his friendship. My family has greatly suffered because of politics and greed, and I do not want to do anything that may bring additional despair down on those left. David is in a position to do that if he associates with the wrong people. There are unlanded knights who would love to possess our family castle and land and many who would do almost anything to obtain it.”



“Without Ser Thoragild to protect you, David is your only hope,” Talina replied. “You must not give up on him. He has Alwaythe blood but he has also felt the shame of being a bastard and how it hurt. Hopefully, he has learned compassion and mercy.”



Pieter smiled. “You’re right, I will stand with David.” He glanced up to see the great white dragon that Analia was pared with lying near a copse of trees munching on the tender shoots of some low shrubs. “How is it doing?” he asked, nodding his head at Whiff.



“He is nearly healed,” Talina responded, “but he appears to be sad and unresponsive. I think he misses Analia.”



“Would it be dangerous for me to approach him?”



“He has displayed no anger or hostility. You must remember though, the dragons do not take to males favorably. Your presence may irritate him but I do not think he would harm you in any way. Analia called him Whiff.”



Pieter nodded his head and walked towards the clump of trees where Whiff was resting. He had always thought the dragons were magnificent animals, not as wonderful as his war horse, but beautiful in their own special way. This dragon was a king among his kind and deserved the same respect he would give to his horse, Ogre.



He cautiously approached the fearsome creature that was slowly munching on a mouth full of tough looking blackberry vines, the thorns and green berries were crushed in its massive jaws and juice was dripping from his lips. As he drew closer, the great beast raised his magnificent head and stared at him with beautiful cat-like eyes, the pupils slit like a crescent moon in the harsh morning light.



Pieter was frightened but also exhilarated by the power and majesty he saw in the great animal. Before he knew it, he reached out and brushed his hand against the dragon’s massive wing. It felt like silk although it resembled boiled hide.



“Who are you?” a voice sounded in his head.



Pieter jumped back and fell on his behind in the tall grass. He looked up at the great dragon with wide eyes. He was frozen in place, unable to move or run away.



“You are Pieter,” the voice came again. “You are a friend of Analia.”



Pieter grabbed his ears as if he was hearing the words, but he instinctively knew that the dragon had not spoken aloud. “You know me?” he muttered, looking the dragon in his beautiful eyes.



“I know of you,” Whiff mind-spoke. “Analia has mentioned you and your thoughts about her are warm and friendly. Where is my companion, Analia? I cannot contact her.”



“How are you speaking to me?” Pieter replied, “This is impossible.”



Don’t be stupid, Pieter,” Whiff returned. “Your thoughts tell me that you are aware that Analia and I mind-speak, she told all of you. You are however, only the second human and the first male human I have been able to mind-speak with. There must be something special about you just as Analia is special.”



“Analia was captured by the Angalunders at the battle where you were wounded in the wing,” Pieter stated. “We know she is alive because Elise found her boot prints on the road. I do not know why you cannot contact her; perhaps she is too far away.”



Whiff snorted. “Not likely, young one. Mind-speak knows no distance. Something is preventing her from contacting me. You are her friend, why have you not tried to find her?”



Pieter started to say something but realized he did not have an answer to the question. Why hadn’t he gone with Elise to find her? Was it because of his commitment to duty and to Ser Thoragild?



“Your mind is a jumble,” Whiff mind-spoke. “Are all human males thus impaired?”



“You are right,” Pieter finally replied. “I should go find her, however, if the people I owe allegiance to learn of it they will think I deserted the army and my family would be in great peril.”



“Too many of you humans are evil and full of blood lust,” Whiff replied. “But, I sense in you something different, as I do in Analia. Would these people allow you to become a Dragon Rider?”



Pieter’s eyes opened in shock. “I thought only fffemales could be Dragon Riders?” he stuttered.



“Once again your ignorance knows no bounds,” Whiff replied in a sarcastic mind-tone. “We dragons decide who can and cannot join us in the skies. Since you obviously have special abilities I will allow you to ride with me until such time as we find Analia. Then, we will play it by ear,” he mind-giggled. “Climb aboard for a test ride.”



“There is no saddle or harness,” Pieter stated. “How will I stay on?”



“We need to show these other humans that I have accepted you,” Whiff casually returned. “Otherwise they would never believe your word. I promise that I will fly low and slow, just grab a hand full of my pretty white skin. We can solve the saddle problem later.”



As Whiff lifted gently into the warm morning air, Pieter was at first terrified, and then a sudden sense of power and majesty overcame him. They glided around the meadow then over the camp of Dragon Riders and Valkyri, and on over the sprawling camp of the army. Men glanced up at him and waved as he soared above them. As he passed over the command tent, he waved at the Praetorians standing guard then at several knights prancing on their mounts. Whiff finally returned him to the camp of the Dragon Riders and gently landed.”



“Now you can ask them to provide you with a saddle, boy,” Whiff mind-spoke. “I have a delayed breakfast to finish.” He beat his massive wings and glided over to where Pieter had first met him. Talina and the Dragon Riders were looking at him in astonishment. “Whiff wants you to make a saddle for me,” Pieter smiled, turning to glance at Whiff in the distance. “He would like for me to join you Dragon Riders.”

© Copyright 2016 Oldwarrior (oldwarrior at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2070769-The-Lone-Traveler---Part-Twenty-One