*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2071130-Zera-Gets-the-Stone
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #2071130
The Stone is a very important artifact in the story.
         “You're not going to die here, I’m making sure of that.” Wret slowly lifted Zeras head and bunched her hair under her as an impromptu pillow. His thanks showed on her face as a glare in her eyes and a sneer on her lips. “You're doing fine, young one, just keep breathing.” He sat back in the tall grass and sighed, turning his face up to the darkening sky. Zera never took her eyes off him, though she had trouble focusing--his skin was nearly the same tone as the sky. She slowly moved one hand over to her left side feeling the slash wound Wret had administered only a minute ago. Coupled with the beating she had taken after falling, Zera knew she wouldn’t be standing by herself for a time.

         Wret removed his helmet, dropping it in the dirt to his side, not near Zera. “I know how proud you wolves are but armor would do you some good occasionally.” He rubbed his balding head and turned back to the huffing woman, “I could never kill you,even completely unprotected like tonight. I know you’ll never believe me but I just can’t.” He jumped slightly, “oh yes, I have a gift for you. From me--well, us.” His hand slipped into a small pocket at his waist and pulled out a dark object He studied it between his fingers as the unseen sun fell behind the horizon, leaving them in near total darkness.

         It took Zera a moment to focus on the small rock he held. She could see the glowing center and became sure she wouldn’t like this gift. Wret scooted closer and placed the rock on Zeras chest. She felt its weight, and immediately felt nausea seat itself in her stomach, and dizziness encompass her head.

         “This is how I know you won’t die, even if I buried you. Do you recognize it?”

         Zera could barely open her eyes long enough to check it out, although she couldn’t remember closing them. It was ridged and dark, a sphere with dark purple on the edges and its center was white. It pulsed slightly.

         “You probably have never seen it, I wouldn’t blame you if you don’t know it by looks. The name you will know though; Hesliem’s Stone. The same one Carniex gifted to the Phoenixes.” He let out a long breath before continuing, “It’s passed through many hands and has found itself to me. And, in the nature of the Stone, I now give it to you. And you will pass it on.” He rubbed his face with one hand and stood slowly, replacing his helmet. “You did do a number on me with that glove though. You should feel proud, Zera. Not many land hits on me that way.” She barely heard him over her escalated pulse.

         A far off sound brought her to her senses. “Huh.” Wret said, “ your help arrived sooner than i expected.” He began to shout, “she’s over here! Your mother’s over here!” Zera heard Wret’s footsteps fade and almost simultaneously she heard smaller, faster footsteps approach her side.

         Zera felt a cold hand on her shoulder. Her eyes opened to her sons face. ‘“Unn,” She said weakly, “Wret.”

         “What about him?” He began to check Zeras face, finding only minor scratches.

         “He was just here.” her eyes rolled around, searching for him, “didn’t you see him?” She voluntarily closed her eyes, attempting to calm the dizziness.

         “No, I didn’t” he said flustered, “what happened, what’s this?” Unn lifted the Stone and immediately dropped it to the dirt. For a moment Zera could think clearly.

         “Don’t touch it,” she tried to snap, her hand grasping lazily at the Stone And felt the nausea fall over her again. She clasped it in a fist over her heart.

         “What is it? What happened?” Unn carefully lifted his mother into an almost sitting position.

         “I'll tell you when we get back to the pack,” Zera gritted her teeth, “I need to talk to Zolent.” With one hand over her largest wound and one clasped to her chest, she stood slowly with Unn supporting the taller woman as best he could. She hobbled to the trees that could only be seen on the edge of the horizon, in the same direction the sun fell.
© Copyright 2016 NicSpit (nicspit at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2071130-Zera-Gets-the-Stone