*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2071207-Prompt-for-Jan-9-AND-10-samplepoem
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by fyn
Rated: 18+ · Poetry · Mythology · #2071207
Attention to detail/following directions challenge
*StarR* *StarR* *StarR* BE SURE TO READ DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY!!! *StarR* *StarR* *StarR*


Prompt for: Jan 9 AND Jan 10, 2016 (fyn) <---check to see what for which day!

Subject or Theme: Creative Mythology: Pick one of the following spots that are considered 'sacred' in various parts of the world: Mt Uluru, Australia, Crater Lake, Oregon, Cenote Sagrado in Mexico, the Grotto/cave, on the West Bank in Bethlehem (NOT the church that has since been built there!), Mount Kailas in Tibet, Mount Sinai in Egypt, Glastonbury Tor in England, Mount Parnassus, Greece or Lake Atitlán in Guatemala and create your own poetic take on a real legend or create your own that fits the place/people, while being respective of the place. These are ancient places and the ideology surrounding them goes back thousands of years. Do keep your poem/story back in those time frames.

My idea came from the following article, but you will need to do some more research on your pick.:(these were chosen from an article: https://www.yahoo.com/travel/these-are-the-worlds-most-beautiful-sacred-places-1... )

Be creative, inventive and try to give your own original take on your poetry. Don't rattle off a list of facts. Give your reader depth, a sense of place and belief. Try to be true to the area and the people while giving a sense of 'this, too, could/might be true.' Hint: Find a real truth and expand from that.

I picked geographical places from the article and scattered around the world that encompass a variety of religions that were or are still followed today while avoiding buildings of any kind. This was not in any way trying to avoid or discount any particular religion, deities or gods.


Word(s) to Include in the poem: eon, fluid, time, truth (or any derivatives of these words)
Forbidden Word(s) that are not to be used in the poem: myth, legend, year, sky, heaven, believe (or any derivatives, compound or hyphenations of these words)

Additional Parameters: Use the name of the place in your title, but not just the name of the place.


Jan 9th - To be posted by 11:59am on January 10th tomorrow: a simple post with the Where you have chosen, the WHY you chose it and THREE (3) ASPECTS of your place/history you intend to use. See my sample below.

Jan 10th - post your completed poem by 11:59am on Monday, January 11th.
It must use the info (in some identifiable form) you posted for the Jan 9th posting!!!!

At least 36 lines or more. Use rhyme or rhythm in this piece as the tales and stories were usually passed down by mouth and tended to have a beat or a cadence to them to facilitate memorization of the tales. These were then told around a wanderer's firepit, in the hall of some dignitary or during a ceremonial occasion.

Remember, do not use forbidden words ANYWHERE, including title or the brief description of your poem!

BOTH days count score-wise!!! You will receive scores for both days! Any questions...email me or post in the Steam Room.



I am choosing: Glastonbury Tor.
WHY? Because it was a place I knew little about and it intrigued me.
Aspects:
1. Glastonbury Tor is home to Gwyn ap Nudd, King of the Fairies.
2. Been a special place even before day days of the Christians and the Celtic Druids
3. Strange powers associated with it.




© Copyright 2016 fyn (fyndorian at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2071207-Prompt-for-Jan-9-AND-10-samplepoem