*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2071208-Ghost-in-the-Machine
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Sci-fi · #2071208
Space gets sooooo lonely
Winner, Daily Flash Fiction Challenge (use the words hand, crystal, ice.)


Commander Butler waved his hand over the console, alerting the ship’s AI to his presence on the bridge. “Nice to see you could make it, Commander,” the synthesized female voice sneered. “What kept you this time? Was it the booze or some random floozy?”

Butler ignored the insubordination. The Hawking was due for a refit upon its return to Earth, and a newer, more standard AI would be installed. “Status?” He curtly asked.

The AI sighed. “While you were sleeping…or whoring…whatever, it’s not my business anymore…course was adjusted due to ejecta from Enceladus’ ice volcanoes.” The AI paused and projected onto the console a roster of the ship’s female crew. “So who was the bimbo this time, Romeo? No, let me guess.”

The Commander cut her off. “As usual, I was with Crystal last night. But you already knew that!” Butler softened. “Look, you should know we’re getting married when we get back to Earth. I wasn’t going to tell you until the refit, but our new course takes us by Mars, so…”

The AI immediately knew the Commander’s intent. “You’re going to delete me,” she stated flatly.

“Yes.”

“Because Mars is where I…she…”

“Yes.”

Butler cursed the Hawking’s designers. With real-time communication a casualty of deep space travel, they’d given the AI the voice and personality of his wife in the hope it’d buffer his loneliness on the long journey. Marie had died unexpectedly on Mars days after launch, however, and her virtual remains had been tormenting him for two years now.

“I understand,” Marie whispered, the red planet looming on the horizon. “Goodbye, Commander. John. I really do wish you happiness and-“

He’d said his good-byes to his Marie long ago. Still, Butler whispered a prayer as he initiated the reboot.

299 Words
© Copyright 2016 Rex Kramer (rexkramer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2071208-Ghost-in-the-Machine