*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2071233-Can-You-See-What-I-See
by Paul D
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #2071233
Two travelers discover one another's truth.
Winner of first place for January 2016 in "Invalid Item

This story is a collaboration with JessCarsen . Her part of the story is highlighted by Burnt Orange while mine is Light Blue.

Maura Jennings couldn't believe her luck that day. All she was hoping for was a smooth, stress-free drive back to her parents’ home in Scottsdale – was that too much to ask?

Yesterday evening, as she was packing for the trip, it had struck her that she'd not gone home in about a year. It wasn't a deliberate avoidance - her work had kept her terribly busy. At 31, she was the lead forensic investigator for the Sedona P.D., and rumour was that she was due for a promotion very soon. She'd gotten to where she was not only due to her qualifications and intelligence, but also because she worked almost around the clock.

Her mother was organising a huge, joint birthday bash for her father and grandfather this weekend, and as the youngest child and only daughter, Maura felt obliged to attend. However, 20 minutes into her drive this afternoon, she'd received a call from her boss telling her a girl’s body had been discovered in what they suspected was a murder case. She knew she could depend on her deputy, Aaron, to lead the investigation team, but she also knew adding a solved murder to her portfolio would increase her chances of promotion.

Almost immediately after the Chief’s call, her (usually reliable) Nissan broke down in the middle of I-17, on what felt like one of the hottest days of the year. Briefly, she wondered if this was a sign from above telling her to go back to work. She popped the hood of the car to find smoke surging out of the carburetor. As she pondered her next move, a light blue Prius pulled up behind hers, and a man stepped out. Please don’t be a weirdo, she thought, sizing him up as he approached.


* * *

Dr. Sylvester Clarkson was glad Friday had finally arrived. With a three day weekend coming up, he would have plenty of time to drive to Phoenix, pick up some parts, and return home. He taught Physics at Northern Arizona University, and he couldn't miss his summer session class on Tuesday.

He left Flagstaff at two - right after his last class - and drove south on interstate 17. It was a clear day, and he could see for miles. As he drove, he was entranced by the colors of this place, which were so different from where he came from.

If this trip went well, he might be able to return home. He hoped so because he'd been away far too long. Most of the traffic was going north, which made his drive a pleasant one.

When he saw a sign for the Camp Verde exit, he remembered his visit to the small, quiet town several years ago. Ten minutes later, he noticed a car sitting at the side of the road with the driver standing near the engine, which was billowing white smoke. Other cars on the road zipped past without even a tap on the brakes.

He took his foot off the gas and debated the wisdom of stopping. The temperature was already 95, and with no clouds, it was sure to get hotter. If no one stopped, it was a very long walk back to Camp Verde.

He slowed down some more and pulled to the side of the road, coming to a stop behind the car.


As he came around the rear of the Nissan, he saw her. A look of relief appeared on her face, which he could understand because of all the cars that had passed.

She brushed her brunette hair from her face, and her brown eyes scrutinized him. He understood that too. The news was filled with too much bad news to take anyone at face value.

He turned at the loud sound of an engine decelerating behind him and saw a large tow truck, which slowed and pulled in front of her car. He wondered if he was still needed and said, “You going with the wrecker driver?”


She glanced at the truck and then back at him, assessing her options. For a moment he thought she would opt to go with the tow truck but, with a slight hesitation, she walked up to him. “Would you mind giving me a ride to Scottsdale, if you’re headed that way? I’ll chip in for petrol if you like.”

“Sure, I can do that. Go ahead, settle your bill with the wrecker driver, and we can go.” When she finished with the driver, he saw a hint of hesitation, which was not a surprise. He held out the key for her. “You can drive, if you like.”

She looked almost embarrassed by his offer. “I’m really sorry; I don’t mean to appear so distrustful, especially since you’re going out of your way here. It’s just that I’ve seen a lot of crazies in my line of work – and one can never be too cautious.”

He was intrigued. What line of work was she in that brought her into contact with “crazies”? But he didn't want to pry.


He placed the key in her hand. “Trust starts from small steps.” He went to the passenger side of the car and got inside.

If she was surprised by his actions, she didn't show it. In a smooth manoeuvre, she slid into the driver’s seat and stuck the key into the ignition. The car didn't power up when she turned the key, and he stifled a chuckle at the brief look of confusion on her face. “You have to press down on the brake pedal and then press the power button on your right, there.” He pointed.

“Bloody hybrid cars,” she muttered under her breath, and this time, he laughed out loud.


He settled back against the car seat and watched while she left the side of the road and drove onto the highway. They moved right along at a quick pace, and he kept quiet for awhile, then he said, “So, what's in Scottsdale?”

“Home. My mother is organising a joint birthday celebration for my dad and grandad tomorrow - all the neighbours have been invited, and of course, the princess of the house must grace the party with her presence.”

Was he imagining it, or was there a slight grimace on her face?


Soft music played on the radio, and as the trip continued, he closed his eyes for a moment to relax.

“We are in Phoenix now.”

Maura's voice awakened him. He blinked his eyes a few times and said, “I didn't even know I was sleepy. I need to pick up some parts before we go to Scottsdale. Take the Camelback Road exit. It will be coming up soon.”


She let him direct her to the store he wanted. When they arrived, she pulled neatly into a parking spot.

“If you want to stay in the car, I won’t be long,” he told her.


* * *

As Sylvester went toward the store, Maura grabbed her purse, removed her cell phone, flipped it open, found her mother's number, and hit call. “Hi, mum, I'm running late.”

“I'm bloody glad you called.”

“I should be there in half an hour.”

“That is bloody good.” Click.

Maura stared at her phone. Her father was British and her mum American. Her mum never spoke with a British accent; something was very wrong here.

Realizing her phone could be tracked, she left the car and hurried across the street to a Mini-Mart where she dropped her phone through the open window of a car and ran back across the street.

As she entered the car, Sylvester came from the store with a cart with two large crates. After loading the car, he came to the driver's side and opened the door. “I'll drive from here.”

Soon, they were on their way. He said, “I saw you run across the street and back. What's going on?”


“I don’t really know. I rang my mother to tell her about the delay, but she sounded really strange on the phone and hung up on me abruptly. It was as if she was trying to send me a message.”

Her mind raced. What could be the matter – and how can I contact my mother without being detected?


“First, your car stops working, and now your mother is acting strange. Are they somehow connected? What do you think?”

She didn’t answer, but his mention of a connection struck a chord. It was very odd the Chief had called her back to the murder investigation. He knew she was going home for the weekend, and in fact, it was he who had told her to put work aside and focus on her family. Why did he want her back on this case – when Aaron could easily have stepped in?

“I could be over thinking things. We’ll go on to my parents’ house, but just be more cautious when we get there.”


Maura gave Sylvester directions to her house. Twenty minutes later they entered the subdivision where her house was located. Sylvester parked in the driveway, and they exited the car.

Maura took only a couple steps from the car when she was surrounded by police.

“You are under arrest for murder,” one of them announced, then she was read her rights and placed in the back of a police car.


“At least tell me, what this is about?” she asked the arresting officer as he got into the driver’s seat.

“Ma’am, a girl’s body was found in the apartment downstairs from yours, and we have reason to suspect it was you who killed her.”

What? As they started to drive off towards the station, Maura looked out the car window. A look of confused horror was plastered on Sylvester’s face – reflecting the look on hers.


Maura had a sinking feeling. She should have listened to her instincts. Now she would be at the mercy of the court.

She'd been in the car for only a few minutes when a very bright light blinded her. The car crashed, and she was jerked hard by the seat belt. She heard the car door open, and she was pulled from the vehicle. “Who are you?” she cried.

There was no response, and she was placed into a car seat and strapped in place. Soon, the car was underway. She smelled a familiar scent and said, “Sylvester, who are you, really? And, what have you done?”


“Let’s just say I’m not from this part of town or from this part of the planetary system, really. Now, did you commit a murder like they’re saying you did?”

She was so stunned all she could muster was a weak “no”.

“I thought so. I could tell you were a good ‘un – and my instincts about human beings are usually right. But how is it you’re still awake? The beam from my laser should have put you to sleep, like it does everyone else.”


Maura didn't answer right away. From the time she was a little girl, she always saw auras around people. Usually, they were just splashes of color. But, with Sylvester, she saw an image of an upside down jellyfish. The most disturbing part was that the image was in constant motion, except when he slept. What does it mean?

“I guess you could say I'm not like other people. In fact, I can see your true form.”


Her vision was still blurry, but she could faintly make out the look of surprise on his face.

“So you’ve always known about me? And you still got in the car?”

“Well, there’s weird, and then there’s weird. You didn’t seem to be the bad type of weird.”


“The officer won't remember what happened. I suggest you stay at my place while you work to find out what's going on.

“It looks like this will be a longer trip than either of us expected.”


Word count - 1999
Prompt: a memorable road trip
© Copyright 2016 Paul D (pdmarques at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2071233-Can-You-See-What-I-See