*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2071545-Broken-House
by QPdoll
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2071545
Write a story with the words: ring, ghost, stairs for the Daily Flash Fiction contest.
"I love this broken down old house," Vicky said as she stared at it. She and David had been coming to the old house occasionally since they found it about twelve months ago. They were out for a drive and spotted it in the country. It was obvious it hadn't been lived in for quite some time.

It was a large farmhouse on what they figured to be private land. They always felt like they were getting away with something they weren't supposed to be doing as adults. After all, even though there were no signs posted, they were trespassing.

"So do I. Obviously that's why we find ourselves back here so often. Let's go in and get a fire started." David took out a blanket and picnic basket from the trunk of the car, and they walked in together.

The door creaked as they opened it. It wasn't quite dark outside yet so they had a little light to get everything set up. David got the fire going with wood they'd left the last time they were here and Vicky spread out the blanket on the floor. They sat together, holding hands and staring into the fire.

"David did you hear that?"

"Yes. It sounded like someone walking up the stairs. Do you think it's a ghost?"

"Don't scare me or I might not want to come back here."

"I don't think ghosts could keep you away from this house."

Vicky smiled. "No I don't think so either."

They turned back to the fire and David held her. "Vicky, I have something to ask you," he said as he drew out a small box from the picnic basket. He opened the box to show her a beautiful ring. "Will you marry me?"
© Copyright 2016 QPdoll (eager2write at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2071545-Broken-House