*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2071816-Stars-Moons-and-Skies
by Kaleb
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #2071816
Growing up poor is no cake walk but that's when the stars hit you.
“I'm out of money again,” I shouted loudly, as I walked down the side of the road. My parents gave me five hundred dollars just before they kicked me out. I was so surprised but I should have seen it coming. I tried to spend the money I was given responsibly but it feels like it went up in smoke. The first thing I did was try to get a job. I checked the newspaper and saw something that really caught my eye. It was an article about something I have dreamed of for a long time, astronomy. When I was a kid I was very fascinated about the beautiful night sky and now I was getting an opportunity. The next thing I would do is get a better life with this new job. Then I would find a wife who likes the same things I do and who I have things in common with. I started heading to the place stated in the newspaper, N.A.S.A. space station.
When I got there, I stood in front of a huge building with N.A.S.A. big and bold on the top. I took out my new Samsung Galaxy IV phone, the one I bought with the money my parents gave me, to take a picture but instead I saw a beautiful woman with long black hair, who I thought would be my best friend or biggest rival, enter the building. When I got inside I was even more amazed about the interior of the building and how big it looked.
“Are you a tourist or are you here for that stupid article in the newspaper,” said the young lady behind the counter.
“I’m here for a job, and what exactly do you do here Simone Philip,” I asked as I read her name tag out load.
“We study the sky beyond the sky,” she said with a smirk, “Fill out this form and have seat we will call you shortly”. When I finally started the interview the interviewer, Mr. Philip, who is the father of the young lady behind the desk, asked me one question.
“Why are you here Mr John,” asked Mr. Philip.
“I’m here to learn,” I answered.
That's when I was hired and given a job to give tours around the facility and hand out fliers. With that I was able to get an apartment and was able to buy food. After a month I was promoted to an assistant, to Mr. Philips, who was researching comets and asteroids at the time, and I was given a partner, her name was Sarah Higgins an she was the lady I saw on my phone camera. After being promoted I spent a lot of time with the sky and Sarah. I learned a lot from my new boss and form the sky and I had a lot of fun at the base.
After a year of spending countless hours of time with Sarah, we got married and bought a house together. We were promoted that same year and got our own facility, for us to work and study space together. After two years of work and play, Sarah, now a John, conceived twins who were named after stars Lyra and Leo. They grew up smart on like their parents and studied hard and loved astronomy.
When we became professionals at astronomy and astrology we built our own observatory and tried to discover new things about space. We both loved our work and discovered many new planets and more information about other planets. I made a fine living by using the observatory for tourist and school kids to see our work, I visited my parents every week after the observatory was finished and thanked them every visit for kicking me out when they did.
© Copyright 2016 Kaleb (amalj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2071816-Stars-Moons-and-Skies