*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2072530-Abandoned-In-A-Nike-Missile-Site
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2072530
What's hidden below the old missile site?
"We can get into the old missile site," Mike said. "With your GoPro Christmas gift, we can find out what's hidden and forbidden below."

"What about the 'Skull and Crossbones' signs?" John asked.

"Just the usual nanny state," Mike smirked. "Come on, let's go."

Last Summer, Mike and his fellow nerd used a laptop to crack the ancient security used at the abandoned Nike missile site in the hills of South Manchester, overlooking the Hockanum River Valley.

"Ok," John replied hesitantly, "but if the video is any good, I get to post it to YouTube."

The security code still worked, getting them inside the dilapidated control building. Cracks in the boarded up windows let in light in narrow beams. The stirred up dust dimmed everything, like camouflage smoke.

There was a Skull and Crossbones on each door to the elevator.

"Don't sweat it," Mike scoffed.

Their trusty laptop was plugged in and opened the doors.

"Geez, no elevator car," John said.

"We'll lower the camera," Mike said confidently. ""We can open the doors at the bottom of the shaft too."

After lowering the camera, turning it on remotely, and opening the bottom doors, the conspirators paused.

Sounds echoed up the shaft, like finger nails on a chalk board, or the claws of a caged animal scrapping across the floor. A guttural growl was followed by a bilious smell rising out of the shaft.

"Pull it up," Mike hollered, "let's see what we got."

Dark shapes turned toward the camera as the doors opened. Disfigured creatures, shaggy, lumbered forward, spewing a visible mist when they growled.

"Something's coming up the shaft," John screamed.

Mike closed the doors. In the dim light, they stumbled toward the exit.

The elevator doors were screeched open. Claws scraped across the floor. Mike was grabbed first.
© Copyright 2016 Sailor M (sailor40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2072530-Abandoned-In-A-Nike-Missile-Site