*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2072630-Of-Books-and-Burglars
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2072630
Spending the night in an empty library can be more eventful than you'd think...
Being locked in a library at night is more eventful than you’d think.

I was reading a book so interesting that I didn’t hear the librarian call that the library would be closing in five minutes. I didn’t hear her close up and then exit out the front door, locking it behind her. It wasn’t until ten minutes later, that I looked up from my book and realized it was quiet - even for a library. I went up to the front and found out that the building was empty.

It was a bit weird that I couldn’t get out the door from the inside, but it was a such an old library that it must have had some purpose in the past.

After finding some beanbags to get some rest on, I realized that it was remarkably cold, so I decided to borrow one of the fuzzy rugs from the front.

I was almost there when I heard something - voices. I peeked around the bookshelf and saw the rug being moved aside.

I almost gasped when I saw two men come out from a hidden trapdoor under the rug. They were both tall, wearing masks. It wasn’t hard to tell that they were burglars.

“All right, Hank,” said one of them. “Make it snappy, we just want to get that valuable book and get out of here.”

“It should be around the computers section, Nick,” chuckled Hank. “Won’t be hard at all."

I began to form a plan to stop these burglars. I made my way slowly to the corner of the library, towards the encyclopedias.

Hank and Nick never knew what hit them until they woke up in the police station. Neither would I, if the heavy M encyclopedia and giant dictionary were dropped on my head.
© Copyright 2016 Chester Banks (chesterbanks at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2072630-Of-Books-and-Burglars