*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2073928-Untitled
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Romance/Love · #2073928
Tiff has everything she ever wanted until an old high school flame comes into light.
Chapter 1

“Why in the world am I here?” I asked myself while entering one of the last places on this earth that I wanted to be. At least I wasn’t alone; although Hogart’s Bar was pretty slow for a Saturday night. When Maddie and I walked in, the bar was nearly empty. The establishment was dark, dusty, and smelled of stale beer and grease. The only decorations on the walls were pictures of locals that frequented the establishment. The photographs were pinned up with tacks or tapped on with masking tape. The groups of photos carelessly fastened to the wall looked like a pathetic collage on a teenage girl’s bedroom wall. Hogart’s Bar was not a place that I go to on a regular basis. I’ve been here before but just a couple of times years ago before people recognized me. When I feel the need to socialize, I go over to the country club on the edge of town where people had more class than to bother me with flirting or flattery.
There was an aged couple sitting in a wooden booth in the front corner of the outdated bar. The couple sipped on Bud Light bottles while looking into each other’s eyes, every few seconds mumbling something. In the center of bar there was a table of working class men. There were four of them all dressed very similar in blue jeans and t-shirts. Two of the men had long beards and the other two looked like they haven’t shaved in a few days. I couldn’t really determine their ages under the unkempt facial hair, but if I had to guess they had to be at least 40 years old. I looked over at the men inspecting them. Men of this kind are the very reason that I no longer go into bars like this. The last time I entered a public bar, drunk blue collar men stumbled on their words trying to impress me.
“Where do you want to sit?” Maddie asked me as if the location of our table really mattered. I knew that I would feel uncomfortable no matter where we sat.
“How about that table over there?” I pointed to the table furthest away from the table of scraggly men.
“Ok, I guess, if you want to hide away in the corner.” Maddie replied.
“Hey, you got me to go out tonight, didn’t you?” I snapped back.
“Yes, I did, and I got you to go somewhere other than that stuffy country club.” Maddie stated while she put her hands on her oversized hips. Maddie was short with a little extra weight on her belly and bottom area. Maddie always had a radiant smile on her face even when she was upset about something. She wore black wrap-around dress that tightly fit her curves.
I rolled my eyes at her. Maddie has been my friend for nearly twenty years. Maddie knew me before I had money, and she teased me often about how my tastes have changed. Maddie and I used to do the bar scene often and compete for the most phone numbers at the end of the night. Maddie always got more men’s numbers than I did; she was more outgoing and attractive. I’ve never been ugly, but I lacked confidence and the means to dress well. Now I could wear whatever I wanted and had professionals to teach me how to wear my makeup and hair. I had a few rounds of Botox and breast implants in the last few years to help enhance my looks. I had to admit, the enhancements made my 40-year-old face look like it was 25 again. Sometimes my colleagues commented on my use of plastic surgery, but I really didn’t care, I finally felt sexy. I wore my signature look, a matching black dress suit with black nylons. I was entirely overdressed for this establishment, but I don’t think I own a pair of blue jeans anymore.
“Should we compete for numbers tonight like old times?” Maddie asked while guiding us to the table I had pointed to earlier.
“Nah, I replied. I really don’t see anyone worth talking to,” I didn’t want to outdo her tonight on getting phone numbers. Maddie was still very pretty, but after three kids, a divorce, and working as my assistant for the last 15 years, stress and time had put an extra 20 pounds on Maddie’s small frame and more wrinkles than most 40 year-olds.
“How about those guys over there?” Maddie pointed at the table of men with unruly facial hair.
“Yeah, I don’t think so.” I shook my head. “Too easy.” I added.
Just when I looked over the hard-working men, two of the men looked at me and snickered. “Great,” I thought, “they know who I am.”
“They’re not your spoiled rich boys that you are used to, but they have a sort of charm.” Maddie checked out the men with her head tilted to the side. Her crooked smile was a mix of radiance and mischief. Maddie had a habit of giving all men a chance. She had standards but thought that if a man had a decent face and a job then he could be a potential mate.
“Oh my God, the cute one is coming over!” Maddie exclaimed. I glanced at the man walking over to see who she perceived to be the “cute” one. He did look sort of charming. He walked with his head slightly down as if he was in lack of confidence. He was wearing worn out blue jeans, and he was one of the two men that has let his facial hair grow out for at least a few days. His shirt advertised some sort of factory on the right pocket. Although his gaze was down, his stride was cool almost rhythmic with his hands in his pockets and his worn boots sliding across the tiled bar floor.
“He looks familiar.” I whispered to Maddie.
“We have probably seen him back in our phone number chasing days,” Maddie giggled.
“I feel like I know him from somewhere else.” I added. I couldn’t see the man’s face clearly in the poor lighting, but I knew that I’ve seen that walk before.
The man walked up to our table without completely looking up. He mumbled, “I’m supposed to ask for your number?” He turned his body toward my chair in a slow awkward motion.
“What do you mean you are supposed to ask me for my number?” I asked the ruggedly handsome man.
“My friends over there,” he pointed to the three remaining men at the table, “dared me to come over and ask for your number.” He stated red-faced.
“Why would they do that?” I asked the nervous man.
“They told me that you are some sort of a big deal around here.” He mumbled; his face becoming more red by the second. His three friends were watching the interaction from across the room laughing and pointing.
“Look at me when you talk to me, please.” I demanded. The man’s voice sounded so familiar, and I needed to look at the man’s face.
“Yes, ma’am.” He erected his body and looked at me. The light above the bar table illuminated his rugged face. His eyes were a deep sexy brown. His unkempt facial hair contained several silver hairs which was the only feature that gave away the man’s age. I took a deep long breath as I realized who this man was.
“Charlie?” I hollered right in the man’s face. It’s been almost 25 years, but I would recognize those dreamy brown eyes anywhere.
“Do I know you?” The man squinted his eyes and leaned into me.
“Charlie Tretman? Northeastern High school?” I lowered my voice waiting for the man to confirm what I already knew.
“Yes, it’s Charlie how do you…,” he leaned in closer and stopped himself, “Tiff?” His realization that he did know me made him suddenly forget all the shyness that he initially had.
“I barely even recognized you!” He exclaimed.
“What are you even doing here?” I asked Charlie confused. Charlie and I dated in high school while I was placed in foster home in Green Bay. We dated for a few months until I was placed in another foster home. We kept in touch for about a year and then lost touch when I was moved again.
“What are you doing here?” He countered the question.
“Why are you in New York?” We asked each other in unison.
I laughed, “Ok, I’ll go first. I’ve been in New York since my last placement. I was finally adopted at 17 years old, can you believe it?” I felt myself twirling my long brown hair around my index finger, a nervous habit I had back in high school.
“Wow, that’s amazing, Tiff!” Charlie seemed genuinely happy for me. “I just recently came into town. A cousin of mine is letting me crash on his couch until I get back on my feet.” He stated drawing his eyes down at the floor again. He was obviously embarrassed at his situation. I no longer felt the need to twirl my hair around my finger.
“Where did you come from?” I asked with curiosity.
“I was in still in Green Bay. I just couldn’t catch a break there, and I had just lost my job at the factory down on Wousa Road. I came here looking for a fresh start.”
“Oh,” I said, trying not to sound disappointed in him. I remembered Charlie being on the football team and having the best grades in our Sophomore class. I looked at those big beautiful brown eyes that once stole my young heart. Charlie seemed so…well, perfect when we dated. He had big dreams of going to an Ivy League school and making a difference in the world.
“Umm…,” Maddie hummed and looked at me obviously needing an explanation. I almost forgot that Maddie was at the table. When I looked into Charlie’s brown eyes, I was taken back to a time when I had nothing but dreams and a boy that loved me no matter what my circumstances were.
“We went to high school together for a short time.” Charlie offered the explanation to Maddie while flashing a half smile at me.
“Oh, Okay.” Maddie acted satisfied with his answer knowing that I would offer the juicy details when the evening was over.
“What’s this I hear about you being a big deal around here?” Charlie looked at me with more confidence now and curiosity.
“Not a big deal,” I shrugged my shoulders. I didn’t want to wave my successes into his face.
“My cousin said that you are some sort of famous business lady,” Charlie said while twinkling his fingers in the air almost mocking me.
“Well, I studied business and got lucky in some endeavors.” I stated modestly. I didn’t feel the need to tell him everything and intimidate him.
“That’s real specific,” he said sarcastically.
“Looks like your friends are about to leave you,” I quickly changed the subject and gestured to the three men waving Charlie back over.”
“I’ll tell you what, I will give you my phone number.” I took scrap paper and a pen out of purse and scribbled my number on the paper. I handed the paper over to Charlie and made sure his eager friends saw me hand over my digits.
“Thanks, I might call you sometime then, I don’t know anyone here besides my cousin.” Charlie smiled while he tried to justify calling me. “I wish I could stay and visit, but I do have to wake up early tomorrow, I have to get out of my cousin’s place as soon as I can.” He stated losing his confidence again. I really did want him to call me.
© Copyright 2016 anneconrad (anneconrad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2073928-Untitled