*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2073950-My-Valentine
Rated: E · Short Story · Adult · #2073950
A man visits his wife with something weighing heavily on his heart.
"Good afternoon, sir."

"Hey."

"What can I do for you today?"

"Dozen roses."

"Of course. Would you like to add some chocolates with that?"

"No, thank you."

"Care to add a custom-made vase? Perhaps a card?"

"That's alright."

"Mhmm, let me see... That'll be $17.82, sir, will that be card or cash?"

"Card."

_ _


"What are you doing today?"

"I have a date with your Mother."

"Oh. Tell her hi for me."

"I will... How's Jimmy doing?"

"We're not together anymore. It's been six months."

"Oh. Sorry to hear that."

"It's fine, Dad."

"So how's the weather over there?"

"It's fine, Dad."

"Sorry, I... I guess I should be in touch more often."

"It's okay."

"I love you."

"I love you, too."

- -

"Sorry I'm late, Honey. I brought you some roses. I hope you can smell them. I talked to Angie today. She says hi. Her and Jimmy aren't together anymore. I wish you could see the sky today, Honey; it's overcast, but there are beams of light from the sun shining through them. The clouds are dark and enormous, rolling over onto themselves and flattening in the horizon and the air is thin and wet and fresh. I wish you could feel it.

"You'd love this day. It's perfect. I miss you. Someone left some flowers for you, probably Jeanne. I'll call her for you. Remember that time we went on a picnic and we sat there for hours looking at the sunset? Remember what you asked me when the sun was disappearing from the horizon? Remember how I just laughed? I'm sorry. I wish I had answered so I could hear your answer.

"I have to tell you anyway. I've been talking to someone. I know it's been awhile. I don't know how long I should wait. When you asked me if I would mind if you met someone else when I died, I... I didn't mind. I wanted you to be happy. You want me to be happy, too, I know that. But what does that mean for us? How can I love you both? How long do I have to wait? It's been years. Years. But something inside of me just won't let go. Hope or madness, I don't know. I don't know.

"The sun is set now. I miss you. If you can hear me, please know that I love you. I just can't... I can't keep doing this, it's been too long. I wish you could feel the air outside. I wish you could wake up for just one more day. If you ever do wake up then I hope you'll forgive me."

_ _

"Sir?"

"Yes? Oh, Maria, has she shown any change?"

"No, sir. Sorry. Visiting hours are over."

"Of course, of course, sorry, it's been a long week."

"I understand, sir. So shall I expect you next month?"

"No, I... No. I don't think I'll make it next month."

"You have a good night, sir."

"Yeah. Yeah, thanks."
© Copyright 2016 C. Auguste Dupin (mman459 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2073950-My-Valentine