*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2074246-Lady-Dragon-Riders---Chapter-Four
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #2074246
The adventures of Analia and Elise continue in a far off land.
THE LONE TRAVELER CHRONICLES
Book Two – Lady Dragon Riders

Chapter Four

After their mounts were saddled and the campsite restored to its original state, Geoffrey loaded their supplies, of which there was little, onto one of the extra mounts and tied them down. He decided to parcel the seven extra horses among them for easier handling, three for him and two each for the ladies. They would bring a good price in the next town.

“How about DarDar?” Elise asked with a frown. “I am quite certain none of our mounts could possibly carry his bulk. Actually, he could carry one or two of them.”

Analia mind-spoke with DarDar. He grinned showing his huge square teeth. “He says he can run as fast as a horse and for a longer time. Since we will be traveling at a slow canter, I’m certain he can keep up. How far is the next village or town, Sir Geoffrey?”

Actually, the next town is about four hours ride and a very large one,” Geoffrey replied. “It’s called Chippen and Baron Blackstone maintains his administrative offices there in one of Earl Montgomery’s castles. The population is at least two thousand with many shops and markets. We should be able to sell our string of mounts and do some needy shopping.” He had seen the large number of gold coins Analia had in her purse and knew they had sufficient coin to purchase everything they might possibly need, and then some. “Please don’t call me Sir, my Lady. I lost that honor when I deserted my post.”

“We’ll make camp just before we reach the outskirts of the town,” Analia replied nodding her head at his request. “We cannot present DarDar until he resembles more a man than an Ogre. I will take his measurements with a leather thong for the clothier to go by.”

DarDar smiled and pointed to himself, “DarDar,” he grunted.

They had decided that pretending to be anything other than whom and what they were was a futile effort. Analia would buy appropriate clothing and resume her title of, Princess, Elise chose to act as her Lady-in-waiting, and Geoffrey would become her hired protector. He would submit his resignation from his posting as Vintenar to Baron Blackstone or the Constable upon arrival in Chippen. Geoffrey suggested they inform any curious notables that a Northmen’s trading ship had dropped them off on the west coast; it would defeat their purpose to say they entered the realm on flying dragons.

True to his boast, many hours later they entered a hidden copse of trees with DarDar grinning, his hair spiked up by sweat, like a bulldog with big square teeth. Analia instructed him to remain hidden in the thicket and she would return as soon as possible with clothing and soap. A small lake lay just on the other side of the patch of woods and shrub and he was to hide in the tall reeds surrounding the lake if searchers came too near the copse.

As they entered the outskirts of Chippen, they could see a good sized river running through the center with an arched stone bridge as the only access to the other bank. The town was typical of many of the towns they knew back in Camalund. The guild hall, pointed out by Geoffrey, was a large building and the place where he wanted to submit his resignation as it also housed the administrative offices of the Constable. A brick and mortar wall approximately twenty feet in height with battlements and archer towers completely surrounded the town. There were only two large gates allowing entry, one on each side of the river.

The largest building in the town was the church, the huge structure was located near the outer walls surrounding the town and there were smaller churches scattered about. The houses were small and clustered closely together. Geoffrey stated that when a story was added to a house the second story projected out over the first, and so on. The results were that houses facing each other on opposite sides of the street nearly met in the middle and the houses formed a tunnel-like passage way over the street.

The first floor housed the artisan shops with living quarters on the upper floors. These houses were made of wood; thus, they burned frequently and fire was a constant threat. Chamber pots were emptied in the narrow streets and presented a messy problem. With a heavy rain one could hope for a flushing action to wash the excrement to the river. Obviously it hadn’t rained for a while as the stinking contents had built up near the sides of the homes.

“The Baron has been slacking in his duties,” Geoffrey stated as they rode in the center of the street which was in the process of being paved with cobblestone. “He usually hires a number of local serfs to cart the trash and excrement to the Avona River between strong rains. If the Bishop sees this I do believe he will have a fit, the Prelate is completely anal about cleanliness.”

Analia was impressed by the large number of businesses and shops, there were many more than what could be found in Lorainne, the Capitol of Camalund, and this was a much smaller town. The villagers were dressed in the same style garb as in her homeland however; they had a tendency to wear stranger hats and bonnets. There were priests and acolytes in abundance walking the streets in their long ground-hugging cassocks, and there were an unusually large number of inns and ale houses.

Geoffrey noticed her eyes lingering on the inns. “The clergy love their ale and beer,” he smiled pretending to down a mug. “There’s also a monastery on the other side of the river and a school for the acolytes. The Bishop is the most powerful man in this area; his authority extends as far as Readingum, almost to the capitol.”

“We don’t have clerics by those titles where I live,” Analia replied. “We have only three titles, the Vicari, the Vicarus, and Cardinal Vicarius, all who serve the gods.”

“Don’t be mentioning your beliefs where it can be heard,” Geoffrey quickly responded. “We have at least ten different titles and ranks of clerics and they’re all politically jealous of each other. The Arch Bishop of Londinium is the top dog here, he even outranks the King. If you get on the wrong side of the clerics, not even the King can protect you. Here we are,” Geoffrey grunted, “The best Inn in town, The Royal Crock. They walked over and dismounted. Two stable boys ran out and grabbed the reigns of their mounts while several well-dressed men offered to carry their belongings.

Geoffrey waved them off but made certain that the ladies war bows, extra clothing, and arrow sheaths were well hidden. “Have the stable boys bring our belongings to our rooms,” he ordered the doormen.

“As soon as we procure out rooms, I will take you back to the Guild Hall,” Geoffrey continued, turning to Analia and Elise. “That will give me the opportunity to advise you on the proper prices to pay around here. Being from another realm, you are probably not familiar with local pricing and customs.”

The Inn was enormous, easily the largest one they had ever seen, and the clientele relaxing in the foyer or at tables in a separate pub area were well dressed, high above the average villager. There were a few who were even dressed like royalty and a smattering of clerics sat among them. Geoffrey ordered two of their best rooms, which garnered a cynical eye from the clerk as he had observed the low quality of their attire. Analia and Elise still wore their long slim gowns with their sleeveless tunics and unadorned wimples.

“The Ladies were set upon by brigands,” Geoffrey explained, seemingly annoyed at having to explain himself to a simple clerk. “Luckily the only thing they managed to steal was their luggage before they were scared off. I will report the incident to the Constable.” The clerk called for a young boy to show them to their rooms. The unfavorable eyes of the people relaxing in the foyer curiously followed them as they slowly ascended the stairs.

As they walked back through the crowded streets to the Guild Hall, Geoffrey pointed to the shops in which they would likely need to purchase their goods and advised them on the average pricing of the goods on display. “Since you are a Princess, My Lady, you will need several of the latest gowns and your Lady-in-waiting must also be appropriately dressed. After they gave him a dumb stare and shrug of their shoulders, he continued. “I know someone who can show you the latest fashions if you agree?”

Geoffrey left them standing in a couturier’s shop and entered an inn across the street and down a ways. He returned fifteen minutes later with a young woman; actually she was at least thirty years of age and old in Analia’s eyes. He introduced her as Margarie. From her attire they knew at once that she was a barmaid, probably one of Geoffrey’s paramours.

“Margarie will help you to do your shopping,” Geoffrey smiled with a sardonic grin. “I must report to the Vintenar to resign my commission, I will meet you at the inn later.” He left with a flourish of his hand in a half bow.

“Geoffrey is a friend o’mine,” Margarie stated noting the look on their faces. “We’re just good friends we are. He told me you was Ladies and I was to help you buy some wraps as yourn were stolen by the outlaws.”

They smiled back at her and began their shopping. They spent several hours going from shop to shop, advising the merchants and shop owners to have their purchases sent to their hotel rooms. Most of the dresses would have to be properly tailored, which would take time, so Analia paid extra for a speedy delivery. In an outfitter’s shop she gave the measurements she had taken to the clerk so he could make clothing to fit DarDar. The middle aged man was shocked at the enormous sizes of the pants and shirts and told her they would have to be made with canvass if they were to last any length of time. She also paid extra to have them ready by the next morning as they had left poor DarDar with all the food they had left, enough to last one meal, if that, considering his enormous appetite.

Half an hour before twilight they finally returned to the Royal Crock, thoroughly exhausted and in need of a bath and refreshments. All her purchases had amounted to less than two Gold Royals, and she had given Margarie a silver coin for helping them. The woman was shocked by the large amount of money but quickly dropped it between her ample breasts. It was likely more than she would make at her job in a month.

That evening they dined in a large separate room in the back of the inn. The place was luxurious to their tastes with clean tables and stone wear place settings, very unusual for an inn of any kind, with a small fire in the hearth and abundant sconces on the walls to brighten the place. When they entered there were only half a dozen diners and several single men sitting near the fire. One of the men wore a long black cassock and sported a tonsure, and the other, a very rotund man, wore a pure white cassock with a white skull cap. Both wore a chain around their necks with a medallion attached to it, the man in black wore a silver chain and medallion, the fat one in white displayed his in gold. Analia could not discern what was on the disc but it appeared to be some type of symbol or badge of office.

The men and women were elegantly dressed, almost as if they were attending a ball or royal gathering. Analia and Elise felt very much out of place wearing their simple wrinkled dresses, noting the curious stares and expressions of disapproval on many of the ladies faces. The fat man in white kept glancing in their direction each time he lifted his heavy mug, which was very often. It was clear that they were the subject of considerable interest.

In Camalund and most kingdoms they knew, laws had been passed regulating what could or could not be worn by members of the different social classes and the merchant class and lesser nobility never aspired to wear clothing above their stations. The more expensive their attire, the higher they were in the social pecking order. Perhaps they think we are trying to live above our, social acceptability, Analia thought.

Suddenly, Geoffrey plopped down in a seat next to them. They were surprised, he was cleaned, barbered, and wore a new shirt and jerkin and clean pants. “My pay,” he smiled, “or what is left of it, blighters cheated me out of two silvers. I couldn’t very well look like a brigand while escorting a Royal Lady and her Lady-in-waiting, could I?”

Analia could tell that Geoffrey was enjoying himself, and why shouldn’t he? The handsome rogue had found a real Princess to latch onto, even if she was not a princess of this kingdom. If this realm was like others she knew, all nobility and royalty were treated as if they were in their own kingdom when visiting their neighbors, it was a reciprocal thing. She hoped that was also the common rule here. She suddenly noticed the man in the black cassock standing between her and Geoffrey.

“Forgive my interruption,” the man stated. “I am Father Ignatio. The Prelate would like to join your company, if possible?”

“By all means, Father!” Geoffrey replied.

“What’s a Prelate?” Analia whispered as the two men returned to join them.

“Bishop Gregorious, welcome to our very humble table,” Geoffrey stood and offered the man his chair, grabbing another for Father Ignatio then looking around for one for himself.

The fat Bishop eased his heavy bulk down into the too small chair and wiped his forehead with a clean linen cloth. “I could not help but hear your mention of the words, Royal Lady,” he stated staring directly at Analia.

Geoffrey bowed to the Bishop. “My Lord, may I have the honor of presenting Her Imperial Highness, Princess Audrey, from the Empire of Angalund.”

Bishop Gregorious smiled and nodded his chubby head. “Welcome to the Kingdom of Britanica, my child. May I ask where your Empire is located and what brings you to our happy realm?”

“Our kingdom lies on the other side of the great salt sea, My Lord,” Analia replied. “I decided to go on a great adventure. Although my father, Emperor John III, did not deem it wise, he relented and asked that I conduct myself properly and seek diplomatic ties with the kingdoms through which I passed. We were dropped off on your western shore by a Nordlund merchant boat, but were beset by brigands and rescued by Sur Geoffrey.”

“The Church has knowledge of your empire,” the Bishop smiled, “located south of the Northmen whom you called Nordlanders. We hoped that someday we will have the means to contact your kingdom, but our sea fleet is still in its infancy and King Athelfyrd has yet to provide royal funding for such a necessary venture. I am certain that the Arch Bishop will soon advise him of that urgent need, especially since the Northmen have garnered so much wealth through their merchant fleet. I also know that, Geoffrey, was an able and respected Knight of the realm and hope that one day he will recover his honorable status.”

Upon closer inspection, Analia noticed that the symbol on the medallion of both men was a well done imprint of a man carrying a cross over his shoulder. There was a warrior who resembled a Tyberian in uniform standing behind the man with a whip in his hand. She did not remark on the medallion, deciding it could wait until she could ask Geoffrey what it stood for. Religious clerics could be very dogmatic about their beliefs and it appeared that the clerics in this kingdom held an enormous degree of power.

“The Northmen tell stories of strange and evil things going on to the west of their homeland,” the Bishop mused. “They even say the people there consort with dragons and fight from their backs like flying mounts and others fly the skies on giant birds. Of course they also say there are people two feet tall, great magicians and an army of dwarfs,” he chuckled.

“The Nordlanders, Northmen as you call them, tell us of strange happenings in your land also,” Analia smiled. “They are well known to exaggerate their stories like fishermen and the big fish they catch.”

They discussed mundane matters for a spell until the waitress brought in their ordered meals. Geoffrey asked her to bring him a portion of the same and turned to Bishop Gregorious. “Would you care to dine with us, my Lord?

The bishop slowly pulled his enormous bulk from the small chair. “Father Ignatio and I have already dined; we will leave you to enjoy your repast. I need to send a missive to Bishop Bynum in Readingum so I will have a troop of cavalry escort you. We cannot have brigands endangering foreign royalty, it is not permissible. Please advise me of when you intend to continue your journey.” He smiled and the two clerics left the dining room.

“What were those medallions they both wore?” Analia asked Geoffrey as soon as they cleared the room.

“Not so loud,” Geoffrey replied glancing around. “That is the symbol of their office and our faith here in Britanica. The man carrying the cross is the God Iesos. God became flesh and freed us from the tyranny of an ancient civilization, and only through him can the King and his successors rule by divine right. The Church administers the laws passed down by Iesos and advises the nobility on doctrine and worship.”

“That fat man acted as if he was a king,” Elise whispered. ”I also noticed the people in here cringe as he passed by them. Is he a cruel man?”

“Next to the Arch Bishop and King, he is one of the most powerful men in the realm,” Geoffrey quietly replied. He’s also responsible for finding and burning heretics. That priest with him, Father Ignatio, is head of the Inquisitorius, his sacred duty is to find the unfaithful and heretical and obtain a confession of guilt from them so their souls can be purged. It is him that people are most feared, because too often that confession is made under extreme torture.”

“The clerics in our realm answer to the King or Emperor,” Analia replied. “They have very limited power.”

“Not so here,” Geoffrey smiled. “You will probably escape their witch hunt since you will be considered a, barbarian Princess, but my head is up for grabs. Talk with care around these powerful clerics, if they knew half of what I know, we would probably be burned alive at the stake.”

The next morning they purchased a small but very stout wagon, which was normally used for hauling heavy rocks, and a brace of healthy mules, loaded it with supplies and hired a stable boy to drive it outside the city. The wagon seat had been strengthened and the leather straps holding the box-like wagon bed to the frames was replaced with heavy chains. It would look odd if they were seen leaving with a wagon full of supplies.

Analia stopped by the outfitter shop and picked up the newly tailored clothing for DarDar, and by the bakery for fresh bread and the butcher for ham and cheese. They gave the innkeeper the impression they were leaving for a quiet picnic, knowing that word would eventually get around to the other guests and the clerics.

When the small copse of woods was in sight, Geoffrey turned and rode over to the stable boy. He told him to leave the wagon in place as another wagon driver should be joining them soon and paid the boy extra since he had to return to town on foot. He got no argument from the stable boy because it was a lot of money as far as he was concerned. As soon as the boy was out of site, Geoffrey tied his mount to the back of the wagon and drove it into the hidden copse.

As soon as they halted, DarDar peeked out from a thicket of bushes and recognized them. He burst through like a leviathan yelling, DarDar! DarDar! Analia thought the brute was going to hug her but she smiled and hit him on his rock hard chest. “We have food and new clothes for you, DarDar,” she mind-spoke. “We will let you eat first, then you must take a bath in the small lake before you don you new clothes.”

DarDar smiled at the thought of food, but his face fell at the mention of a bath. “You cannot go with us smelling like a goat in heat,” she continued. “Although some men do smell that bad, as a representative of my father’s Empire, you will bathe and let us groom you.”

DarDar perked up at her words. ”DarDar now part of your people?” he mind-spoke. “DarDar real man?”

Analia smiled and told him yes and then she noticed a trail of tears streaming down the half-ogre’s face. The colossal brute was crying and it almost made her want to cry along with him. She realized that the abused creature had a heart of pure gold but the mentality of a young child. She would have to be very careful guiding him because he was truly unaware of his awesome strength.

After an enormous meal, consisting of several loaves of fresh bread an entire smoked ham they turned to the task of cleaning and grooming the giant. Analia had bought some strong soap that resembled a small brick and handed it to Geoffrey. “You have the honor of scrubbing Sur DarDar,” Analia smiled. “After all, he is a male and I do not think it would be appropriate for either me of Elise to wash him.” She raised her eyebrow noting she would accept no back talk.

After a lengthy time in the lake with a chorus of yelling and growling and splashing, a subdued DarDar entered their camp site wrapped in a huge blanket. Elise sat him down on a log and used a pair of scissors to trim his unruly hair. Although they thought his face had been shaved, they discovered that for some unknown reason he actually grew no beard. As soon as he was groomed, Analia walked to the wagon and removed his new clothing and presented to him.

“Your new clothes DarDar,” she mind-spoke. “Geoffrey will help you get dressed then we will see how well you can drive a wagon.”

“Wagon,” DarDar mind-spoke. “DarDar drive wagon?” His huge face lit up in a big smile. “DarDar drive wagon, DarDar drive wagon,” he repeated over and over.

A while later, DarDar and Geoffrey walked out from behind a curtain of thick bushes. DarDar was prancing around like a ballerina in her first dance show; a wide grin split his massive jaws. He clothing he wore fit well and he resembled a country gentleman with his new stockings, knee high pants, and woolen shirt. He had a wide straw hat on his head. The only thing that did not quite fit was his shoes. They were wide enough, but he told Geoffrey they pinched and hurt his toes. Their solution to the problem was to chop the ends of the shoes off so his toes could stick out and breathe freely.

“You look wonderful, DarDar,” Analia mind-spoke. “If I didn’t know better, I’d say you look like a country squire.” DarDar beamed at her complement, his huge face turning a pale red.

She took him over to the wagon. DarDar bent over and kissed both mules on the lips and hugged them tight. He then climbed upon the driver’s seat and slowly sat down. The wagon held since it was designed to hold heavy loads and had been reinforced. Geoffrey commented that they may have to replace the wheels for wider ones but other than that, it looked like things would work.

They let DarDar drive the wagon around in circles and maneuver around small obstacles until he got used to handling the mules. On one occasion he climbed down and talked to the left side mule, then picked her up and moved her several feet over. “Bread want to stay too close to Butter,” he mind-spoke to Analia, “DarDar tell her to keep her distance.”

“Cute names,” Elise smiled, when Analia told them of the names DarDar had chosen for his pet mules. They were finally satisfied that DarDar could handle the team and wagon and mounted up to head back to town. As they were leaving, the side of the heavy wagon clipped a dead tree and broke loose a heavy limb which came crashing down towards Analia.

Analia looked up in panic to see the massive limb heading straight for her head. She threw up her hand and subconsciously ordered the limb to stop falling. She was shocked when it stopped several feet from her head and hung in the air with nothing supporting it. As soon as she maneuvered her mount clear of the branch, she looked at the limb and mentally ordered it to continue its fall. The limb hit the ground and burst into several large pieces. Everyone in the small group was frozen in shock, not at the falling limb, but the fact that Analia had complete control over it, preventing it from striking her.

Analia was also shocked at her newfound ability; she had never before done such a thing. She slid down from her saddle and sat on the soft grass, her entire body shaking, her mind in turmoil.


 
STATIC
Lady Dragon Riders - Chapter Five  (13+)
The adventures of Analia and Elise continue in a far off land.
#2074778 by Oldwarrior
© Copyright 2016 Oldwarrior (oldwarrior at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2074246-Lady-Dragon-Riders---Chapter-Four