*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2074303-Josh-and-Jennys-Magical-Adventure
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #2074303
An extract from a children's adventure story that I wrote.
Jenny and her brother Josh lived in a rather old house in a lovely little English village. Their dad had left when they were still babies, leaving them to live with Melody their mother. She didn't really care about her children, all Melody was interested in was pretty clothes, dancing and parties. She didn't feed her children or help them to get dressed, so Jenny and Josh had to learn how to look after themselves from a very young age.
The only good thing that Melody did for her children was to take them to school every day. There, the children were given food to eat, had kind teachers, interesting lessons and plenty of friends to play with. But they were sad because their mum would never let them visit their friends after school or invite people to visit because it would interfere with her own social life. Jenny and Josh would often dream about being adopted by a nice mum and dad, who would look after them properly.
One sunny day, on the way home from school, Jenny and Josh found something interesting hidden in some bushes. They picked it up in amazement, finding it to be a shiny, orange coloured egg, the size of a football.
"Wow!" Josh exclaimed, "We should cook this for our dinner when we get home."
So the children picked up the egg and hid it in Josh's school bag. They continued to follow their mum who was waltzing on ahead of them.
When they got home, they went straight to the kitchen, where they filled a large pot with water, and carefully lifted it up to the stove. They dropped the egg in the pot and waited for it to cook, excited about the feast they would have for supper. They weren't worried about their mum finding them, she was prancing around the living room to a pop song on the radio, with a bottle of wine in her hand.
Suddenly, the egg began to wobble and crack and without warning, a beautiful bird shot out of the cooking pot. She had lovely red, gold and orange feathers that flickered just like a fire.
"Thank you for freeing me!" the bird called out, with a beautiful, song like voice. "I don't know how long I've been trapped in that egg."
She began to fly around the kitchen excitedly, stretching her feathers wide and enjoying the feeling of not being cramped up in a small space any longer. She stopped when she saw the children's disappointed faces.
"What's wrong?" the bird asked them kindly.
"Well, we're hungry," murmured Josh, "And we were quite looking forward to eating that giant egg."
"Oh, I see," replied the bird, laughing.
She beat her beautiful wings together three times and a plate of delicious ham and cheese sandwiches appeared.
"Wow!" the children exclaimed, "can you make anything?"
"Can I have chocolate cake?" asked Josh.
"And strawberries?" piped Jenny.
The bird beat her great wings again and, sure enough a huge chocolate cake and a bowl filled with juicy strawberries appeared.
The children began to eat excitedly, enjoying their delightful treat. But Josh paused to ask hopefully, "Can you make any wish come true?"
The bird considered carefully before replying, "I can only give you what you need, I can't grant all your wishes, I'm not a genie you know!"
"So you can't make me a new TV, computer, skateboard, smart phone..."
"No," interrupted the bird, "those things are nice, but you don't actually need them."
"How about a new mum and dad?" asked Jenny cautiously, "we need them."
"Sadly, I don't have that kind of magic," replied the bird apologetically. She went on to explain that she was in fact a princess, called Henrietta from a far away land, who had been turned into a phoenix and trapped in the egg by a wicked witch. She told them that as phoenixes had some magic powers, she also could do a little magic.

(I hope you like this story, you can find rest on Amazon 😊😊)
© Copyright 2016 CassieB (cassieb at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2074303-Josh-and-Jennys-Magical-Adventure