*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2074656-The-Hiker---Rainy-Pathway
Rated: E · Short Story · Nature · #2074656
A rainy day in the life of a backpacker.
         Water drips from his nose and plummets to the ground. Arriving there it bursts into an infinity of droplets. These droplets never penetrate the earth, but only add themselves to the mass of droplets puddling together on the soggy pine-needle-blanketed pathway.

         He wishes he hadn’t neglected to place a hat in his backpack before he left his house. Another drop rolls down his forehead, but this time it runs into his left eye. He is miserable. Yet, as he perceives the beauty of the lonely forest, he is at peace and is satisfied in his life.

         The evergreen branches bow with the weight and the distinctive sound of the forest evades description. He treks on. The trail ahead and behind is much the same, but each bend brings new beauty. New experience.

         He lets out a breath and the moisture forms a cloud. When the cloud returns to his mouth it melts. The air is alive. Pulsing with energy.

         The animals normal to these trails are not to be seen. They are all wise enough to find a hiding place. Not the hiker. He treks on. Each foot placed on the sod, squishes his waterlogged socks. Unfortunately, water filled shoes are not as comfortable as water filled mattresses. What will he gain from this exercise in discomfort?

         Presently, on his left is a rock wall about ten feet high. Water runs down in streams over rock and through moss. He stops and follows one stream with his eyes beholding its wonders. The trickling sound tickles his ears. He cups his hand to take a sip. It is cool and soothing as it flows down his throat.

         Miles pass and he comes to a stream. This path is not trod often and there is no bridge. Feeling the joy of it, he sits down in the middle of the stream and laughs within himself. If anyone could see him. But no one can. He is free. The water is almost cold as it runs over his legs. As he begins to chill, he decides to start again to get the blood flowing.

         Here is complete freedom. Relaxation and even serenity. It is the simplicity of it all. It is the complexity of it all. He hikes on a few more miles. It grows darker in the forest. Time to tent up and curl up. Another beautiful day has ended in the life of the hiker.
© Copyright 2016 John Locke (locke35 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2074656-The-Hiker---Rainy-Pathway