*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2074658-Beauty-amongst-Thorns
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Inspirational · #2074658
Jaclyn is a near invalid. Yet she is joyful. There is beauty amongst the thorns.
         The long-nosed chihuahua sniffs her feet, content that she will wake soon. It is five in the afternoon and the day has been too much for Jaclyn. One eyelid lifts a little. Then both come alive. The keyboard remains on her lap and a series of s’s and d’s fills the screen. She looks down at the dog, which is wagging its tail excitedly. She tells the dog to wait a minute and quickly deletes the unintended letters on the screen. She rises slowly her slight frame weak from exhaustion. She takes the leash off of the counter near the door and attaches it gently to the dog’s collar. It is time for a walk outside.
         Jaclyn opens the thin door of her trailer and steps down, not allowing the dog to go first. She gingerly steps onto the gravel in front of her doorway. It is a beautiful fall day. Cool and sunny, just how she likes it. Days like this give her energy. The dog knows the way. They walk down the drive toward the mailbox. This is the daily ritual. Jaclyn smiles at the dog who is so full of joy. Jaclyn is full of joy too. It matters not that just walking down the driveway is painful and exhausting. She just enjoys her life. That was a choice she made long ago.
         The two companions reach the mailbox and Jaclyn sorts it some hers and some her parents. She will drop by their house on the way back to her trailer. She will enjoy a meal with them tonight.
         There are bills. Bills she hopes she can pay. Her earnings as a writer are meager.
         She walks back toward her parents house and her trailer. She passes her flower beds. The beds bordered with pine logs showcase a few calla lilies. Most of each box is empty, only a few weeds grow. She thinks to herself that she really should pull up those weeds and plant some more flowers. When she has time and energy she will. The dog finds a tree near the drive to pee on and Jaclyn tells it that it is a good dog.
         Finally, they reach her parents’ house. Jaclyn, out of breath, knocks and enters the house. She greets her Dad and Mom who are sitting in the living room watching a news program. She puts their mail on a TV tray which serves as the lamp stand. Then she slumps down in a chair to remove the leash from her dog’s collar. She needs energy to begin preparing her supper.
The beauty of her life, is the beauty of a daily walk. A walk that begins with effort and ends with exhaustion. Yet, for her, the beauty is in the journey. The joy of a dog. The whisper of the wind on her ears. The lily amidst the weeds. The friendly smile on her mother’s and father’s faces. These gifts are what she lives for. Beauty among thorns, is none the less beautiful. Perhaps, it is this kind of beauty that is the most beautiful. It is to Jaclyn.
© Copyright 2016 John Locke (locke35 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2074658-Beauty-amongst-Thorns