*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2074778-Lady-Dragon-Riders---Chapter-Five
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #2074778
The adventures of Analia and Elise continue in a far off land.
THE LONE TRAVELER CHRONICLES
Book Two –Lady Dragon Riders

Chapter Five

Although the incident with the tree limb had unsettled her, Analia shook it off as something she could not explain. Perhaps her protector, Merlin, had intervened, or maybe it was some dormant power left over from her previous life. Merlin had insinuated that she had powers she did not know she had. She did occasionally notice that the others gave her curious glances when they thought she wasn’t aware of it.

There were many outlying buildings and shops before they entered the gates of Chippen, including several large stables and horse farms. They decided to leave DarDar at one of the stables to take care of the wagon and mules while they ordered supplies for the trip east to Readingum and eventually on to the Capitol of Londinium.

Geoffrey dickered with the stable master at one of the mid-sized horse farms and they came to terms on payment and lodging for the mules and DarDar, who would sleep in the hay overnight. The man was initially frightened of the giant, but soon accepted him when extra coin greased his palm. Geoffrey also noticed a wheelwright nearby and ordered larger and much sturdier wheels for the wagon specifying they had to be mounted by the next morning and also arranged to have a tarp covering mounted over the top of the wagon bed to protect their supplies and to provide privacy for the Ladies when changing clothes.

They returned to their rooms at the Royal Crock several hours before twilight and made a list of supplies they would need for the journey east, taking into consideration the enormous appetite of DarDar and fodder for the mules. When all was accomplished, they returned to the dining area for their supper meal. Bishop Gregorious and Father Ignatio were at their usual table next to the small hearth.

While they were waiting for their meal, Goffrey advised the clerics that they would be departing early the next day for Readingum. Bishop Gregorious nodded. “I will tell the Captain of the cavalry to ensure a troop accompanies you. Father Ignatio has also ordered a Confessor join you to look after your spiritual needs.”

Geoffrey bowed and returned to their table. “Problems?” Analia asked, seeing the perturbed look on his face.

“We will have a troop of cavalry to protect us,” Geoffrey let out his breath. “We will also have one of Father Ignacio’s spy clerics to keep tabs on us. I do believe our friend the Bishop may have second thoughts about our veracity. We will have to be careful that he does not witness something unusual, like a flying dragon or mind speaking with an Ogre or a Princess throwing rocks with her mind, small things like that.”

“Don’t forget a Lady-in-waiting throwing daggers and a Princess beating up on men with a quarterstaff,” Elise added with a sarcastic smirk. “Poor little priest might die of fear.”

Early the next morning they made their purchases and hired a wagon team to deliver them to the horse farm. Everything was as expected, the stable master was pleased with DarDar’s behavior, moreover, he advised them that DarDar had helped him quite a bit around the farm and offered to purchase his services at which Analia graciously declined. The new wheels were already mounted on the wagon and DarDar sat on the driver’s seat with a big grin on his enormous face. They did notice that both mules now wore wide straw hats, with holes cut on both sides for their ears to protrude through, and tied under their jowls with string to protect their heads from the sun or rain.

Analia shook her head and smiled then noticed the troop of cavalry heading their way. It was a small troop of twenty mounted men-at-arms lead by a young officer. They sat easily in their wraparound saddles with their heels in the newly developed stirrup, at least new in Camalund; all wore chainmail hauberks with a round shield tied to their saddles. They were armed with swords and lances and wore a half helm. Their surcoats were white with the emblem of a wolf on front and back and each wore a dark blue cloak with a hood. The priest was mounted on a large perc heron which was the only animal large enough to support his rotund body. He wore a dung brown cassock and sported a tonsure on his sweating head. Geoffrey stated that he was called a friar and not a priest.

The day was delightful; a crystal blue sky with a scattering of white clouds and a gentle breeze carried the aroma of honeysuckle and horse manure. Analia and Elise rode their palfreys and Geoffrey had selected one of the smaller perc herons to carry his heavier bulk. Half the troop rode in front of them and half rode in the rear with the wagon in the center. The fat friar chose to ride in the center with them.

“A beautiful day for a ride through the countryside with two beautiful ladies,” the jovial friar stated as he pulled in between Analia and Elise. He sat his mount like a bouncing pumpkin, arms and legs flying about and his plump head bobbing up and down. “I am called Friar Huckaby, most everyone except the Abbot calls me Huck, and I am a medical practitioner.”

“Bishop Gregorious led us to believe we would have a confessor accompany us?” Geoffrey inquired, “Perhaps one of Father Ignacio’s special confessors?”

“I do believe they are all occupied to the north,” Huck smiled. ”There is a large trial for sorcery being conducted in Linconshire and I am the only one available at this time to accompany you. I am not a confessor but I am pretty good at playing the flute and I was a decent archer before I took the cloth. I also think this trip is designed as part of my penance as I am overly fond of eating.” He slapped his enormous stomach and chuckled.

“I understand that Readingum is a much larger city than even Chippen,” Analia stated. “Are there a good number of the nobility residing there?”

Friar Huck smirked. “Bishop Bynum resides there and he has his eyes on becoming Arch Bishop.” The way he said it insinuated that the Bishop was in no mood to wait for the Arch Bishop to die or surrender his office. “Marquis Cornwall and Marquise Runna rule the city and surrounding fiefs, but there is a large number of lesser nobility in or near Readingum. If I may suggest, Marquis Cornwall is a man to avoid, if you understand my meaning. However, I try to stay clear of politics as much as possible; it’s very bad for my digestion.”

Analia instantly took a liking to the jovial friar. His cherubic looks and good-humored sense of fellowship made him an easy companion to be around. Of course, he may be pretending to be something other than what he truly was, but, she didn’t think so, he was simply too genuine and easygoing.

On the first evening of the four day trip to Readingum, Friar Huck entertained them with his flute and, as it turned out, he was quite proficient. He had a large repertoire of lively tunes as well as some much more sedate clerical music. DarDar was particularly enthralled by the flute and sat still as a statue with his huge jaws half open until the friar took a break. He clearly had music in his soul.

As she listened to the soothing tunes of the Friar’s flute, Analia received a mind-speak message from Whiff. “How was your day,” Little Lady?” he asked. “I perceived no signs of threat or distress so I assume all went well?”

“Very well Whiff,” She replied. “We are now on our way to the next town, a place named Readingum, which you probably know since you keep constant track of us.”

“Actually, I contacted you for another reason,” Whiff replied with a vague sense of hesitation.

Analia was not accustomed to Whiff depicting doubt or indecision. “Tell me what’s bothering you, Whiff?”

“I have discovered another person with mind-speak, Analia.”

Analia was surprised. “Who is it, where are they?” As far as she knew, Pieter and she were the only two humans who could mind-speak with the dragons and war birds of Alataria. If there was another person out there somewhere, she needed to find them.

“She did not speak directly to me,” Whiff returned. “She was seeking guidance and help from her god and I felt her anguished pleas. I don’t even think she is aware that she can mind-speak. She is in a place called, Linconshire, and in a dungeon. I received the sensation that she is on trial for something she did by accident and she and friends of hers are going to be burned alive by some evil people.”

“That’s the place where Friar Huck said they were having a trial for sorcery,” Analia replied. “I’ll bet she has some unknown powers like me. We’ve got to do something, Whiff. Do you know anything else about her?”

“I do not exactly make it a habit to read human minds,” Whiff casually returned. “Since she wasn’t directing her mind-speak to me, I didn’t follow up on it. But, if you wish, I will try to locate her again and discover what I can.”

“Please do so,” Analia returned. “I must discuss this with the others, as soon as Friar Huck retires for the night. If she does have special abilities, I must help her if at all possible.”

“You seem preoccupied, Lady Audrey?” asked Friar Huck. “Is the music not to your liking?”

“Just the opposite, good Friar. I was just thinking about your religious order. I was told you worshipped only one god?”

“And, you do not?” Friar Huck quickly returned. He seemed perplexed by the question and the very concept that someone may conceivably worship another religion other than his own.

Analia saw the glance that Geoffrey gave her indicating that she should tread very careful with her line of questioning. “We are from a land far to the west across the great salt sea,” She answered. “We know very little of your customs and ideals her in Britanica.”

“God became flesh and was named iesos,” Friar Huck smiled. “He destroyed an ancient empire that had conquered the entire world. He taught that we should be ruled by the law of, an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth, and to destroy those who do not accept and believe in him. He appointed the Church to take command of the people and to have power over the rulers who would rule only through divine right and only with consent from the Church. All non-believers must first accept his divinity, and then they can die and be reborn pure with his grace and blessing. That is the core of our belief, but there is the holy book that outlines in detail his life, his resurrection, and his blessed teachings.”

“If someone comes from a foreign land and believes differently, they are not accepted within your society?” Elise asked.

“Like the Northmen, they are tolerated,” Friar Huck smiled. “Savages and barbarians are to be given the opportunity to learn the blessings of iesos and it is the duty of the Church to convert them, however, those who decide not to convert will not be allowed to live among our people. They may come and go, but never settle among the pure and blessed.”

“What of witches and sorcerers?” Analia casually asked. “Are they permitted under your doctrine?”

“The Lord iesos teaches us to never tolerate a demon. Those who would use dark magic are to be burned and cleansed by the purity of fire. There are no exceptions. This is one of the greatest commandments observed by and fulfilled by the Church.”

No wonder Geoffrey instructed us to be careful, Analia thought. One slight miscalculation and we could be burned at the stake.

As soon as Friar Huck retired for the evening, Analia told them of the conversation she had with Whiff and her intentions.

“So, you think you’re just going to fly off with Whiff and go rescue this unknown girl?” Elise asked. “I don’t think so sister, where you go I go, end of argument.”

“Linconshire is very far north,” Geoffrey stated. “It will take many days of slow travel to reach it and by then the girl will likely be dead.”

“We can be there in hours,” Analia replied.

“And, what of us?” DarDar and I do not fly, we cannot fly the wagon and supplies, and the Friar and escort will be curious if you do not present yourselves each day.

“You will tell them we have come down with a cold, or make up an excuse,” Analia stated. “If we are not back by tomorrow evening, our mission will have failed and we will not be coming back.”

“All this for a girl you never met?” Geoffrey appeared upset and angry.

“Yes,” Analia answered. “All this for a girl we have never met.”

After explaining to DarDar what her intentions were and to order him to stay safe and keep out of trouble, Analia and Elise packed a small change of clothing and met Whiff and Cali in a thickly wooded area half a mile from the campsite. Following Whiff’s sense of direction and location, a few hours after midnight they spotted the lights of a town beneath them snuggled close to a wide river. As they grew nearer, they could identify the battlements of a castle like fortress and an enormous building towering into the night sky with a large town twice the size of Chippen spread out around the castle and building.

“That must be the church, or cathedral Geoffrey called it,” Analia mind-spoke to Whiff. “Have you been able to learn anything more about the girl?”

“She is named Kenzy,” Whiff replied. “Based on what I could read from her thoughts, which was very little since it was a one way contact, she is being kept in a dark cell in that huge building. There are women guarding her but they do not appear to have weapons and they are dressed in long black gowns with some kind of unusual head covering.”

“Acolytes,” Analia stated or whatever they call their female clerics. She asked Whiff to land just outside of town in a secluded copse of thick trees.

Analia signaled to Elise to join her as they landed. “Whiff tells me that some kind of female acolytes are guarding the girl in that great building near the fortress. If we can manage to obtain some of their clothing perhaps that will provide us a means of safe entry into the building. In the event we get separated he said her name is, Kenzy.

The empty cobblestone streets were slick with dew as they quickly made their way through a maze of alleys and streets. The town appeared no different than many towns they had been in or through, except for the large number of smaller churches located on each street identified by a sign similar to the medallion that Bishop Gregorious and Father Ignacio wore. The stench of chamber pots and rotting things prevailed and seemed to cling to the mud brick walls of the buildings.

Occasionally they would spot an inn or pub which was still open with the sounds of merriment and drunken laughter filling the entryway and the occasional man in a cassock staggering unsteadily towards his home or church. Analia thought of asking the man for direction to the place where the female acolytes lived, but decided it was too risky. They eventually spotted a prostitute making her unsteady way between pubs and approached her.

“We’re looking for the home of the female clerics?” Analia asked, holding up a silver coin. The woman, girl actually, looked surprised to find two females on the street so late at night who obviously was not in her line of work, but as soon as she saw the coin, her eyes lit up.

“Eu wants to find the Priory?” she stated. “That be where the ‘oly ones live. Down the street ere for a spell and it be on eur roight. Eu can’t miss it, there be a banner hangin’ thar wit the cross of blood on it.”

Analia tossed her the coin and they quietly continued on their way. Although they could barely understand the girl’s accent, a banner with a red cross on it would be hard to miss. They spotted it very shortly and walked up to the massive door. As expected, it was tightly secured for the night. A ten foot brick wall was attached to the structure and looked as if it continued beyond to protect a large courtyard in back of the building. There was no sign of guards or security.

Within seconds they were over the wall and walking through an open courtyard and struck gold. Hanging on a line stretched between two stout trees was a selection of garments hung out to dry. Why they had not been taken in before night they could not understand, but they did not question their luck. They quickly grabbed a piece of each garment they found. They did not know exactly what they had or how to wear it but they were certain to spot one of the female clerics eventually and learn how to properly don their clothing and headdress.

They silently made their way towards the large building, cathedral, hugging the shadows to hide their presence. In front of the cathedral was a large open space carpeted with cobblestones and an open booth with several guards leaning against the brick walls. Why anyone would post sentries in front of a church Analia couldn’t understand. In Camalund the churches were open to all believers and never closed or guarded.

They threw the vestments on over their clothing but could not figure out how to don the other two items which resembled the coif and guimpe worn by the acolytes they knew from past experience. They took a risk and donned the guimpe over their shoulders and the strange looking coif on their heads, then boldly walked towards the entrance of the cathedral. The drowsy guards glanced up and simply waved to them to continue on their way.

Once inside the massive structure they were astonished at its size. It was almost as large as the Rook where they kept the dragons. There were several priests and acolytes down near the back of the building either praying or dozing; it was difficult to tell from the distance. They did notice that they had placed the guimpe on backwards and quickly pulled it around like the others. There were several large hallways branching off the main building and a number of people coming and going from one of them. It was obvious that Kenzy was imprisoned down one of the halls as there was nothing but open space in the large building.

They watched as one of the acolytes walked over and talked to several others sitting on hard wooded benches. They all stood and headed down one of the hallways. They quickly followed at a discrete distance. They navigated the twists and turns, and then descended steps that led them beneath the cathedral. When the other clerics went left, they continued on through the maze of tunnels and closed doors. After more than fifteen minutes, they spotted two acolytes sitting on hard wooden stools outside one cell door. Whiff had noted that Kenzy was being guarded by females, so this looked like a good prospect.

They casually sauntered up to the guards who looked bored and tired. Both were holding some kind of beads and muttering. “We brought something for the girl,” Analia stated, her hands inside her vestments with her fist poking out as if she carried something bulky. She actually hid a solid candle holder.

“The girl is not to be disturbed,” one of the females arrogantly replied. This was all they wanted to hear, proof that Kenzy was being held in that cell. They quickly overpowered the two acolytes and fished around inside their vestments for a key. Their luck still held, as Elise pulled out a single key and held it up with a grin. They opened the door and drug the clerics inside the cell. Elise sat down on one of the stools while Analia searched the damp stinking chamber.

Although it was dark, there was enough light coming from the hall sconces to show her a small figure sitting in one corner, her eyes wide open. “Are you Kenzy?” Analia asked in a soft tone of voice.

“I am Kenzy,” the girl answered. “Who are you and what did you do to the nuns?”

“They are just sleeping, and I am Analia. My sister is Elise and we are here to take you to safety away from this awful place.

“Did God send you?” Kenzy asked. “God spoke with me a second time tonight and said someone would come to free me and I was to go with her. The name he mentioned was not Analia though, it was Eirean.”

Analia was astonished. Eirean was her name in her other life when she lived in Tír na nÓg among the Tuath De Danann. It was obviously Merlin who had talked with the girl and she mistook him for her God. However, she could not afford to argue with Kenzy at the moment.

“I am also known as Eirean,” she replied. “I was sent to release you and take you to safety. Hurry, we must be away before daybreak or we will never escape this building. How long before they change the sentries posted at your cell door?”

Kenzy shook her head as if in a stupor. “I don’t know, she answered. “They come and go at all times. I do not even know if it is day or night outside these walls.”

Analia quickly stripped the vestments from the smaller of the nuns and told Kenzy to put them on. She balked at first but then pulled them on and also took the stockings and shoes. As they left the cell, Elise signaled that all was quiet. They hurried down the narrow corridor trying to retrace their steps to the main chamber, looking for a possible side entrance as they walked. When they finally reached the huge open space, they slowly made their way to the massive front doors and out of the cathedral. The guards were still slumped against the walls of their small side shelters and paid no attention to them.

After they hurried through several narrow streets and found the main street leading away from the river, they felt a great sense of relief. Against tremendous odds they had pulled the stunt off and without having to kill anyone. The acolytes, or nuns, may have a headache when they awaken, but, that was better than a slit throat.

When they finally reached the clearing where Whiff and Cali waited, Kenzy started to scream when she saw the huge dragons but Elise placed her hand over her mouth to staunch the noise. “This is our transportation out of here,” Analia explained as she started to remove the cumbersome vestments. “We are not evil sorcerers or demons; we come from a faraway land where dragons are real and friends to us. If you wish to live in peace and freedom, you will come with us. If not, we will leave you here to be burned by the evil representatives of your Church. It is your decision to make, Kenzy; we will not force you to go with us.”

Kenzy heard a voice in her head. “Do not worry, Little One,” Whiff mind-spoke. I am Whiff and Analia and I are friends and partners. We would never harm you but if you do not come with us, I fear your human friends will burn you.”

Kenzy’s eyes lit up. “It talked to me,” she blurted. “Your dragon, Whiff, talked to me.”

“It’s a long story Kenzy,” Analia smiled. “I was shocked at first, but you eventually grow accustomed to it. Whiff and I have been together for a long time. Take those garments off; you cannot ride behind me wrapped in a ton of clothes. I have a blanket you can wrap yourself in and we will only be in flight for a few hours.”

“Do we have enough time to make it back before daybreak?” Elise asked glancing up at the stars. “We might stir things up a bit if we arrive back during daylight hours.”

“I think so,” Analia answered. “I will ask Whiff and Cali to fly as fast as they can.”

“What of my friends and family?” Kenzy sharply asked. “They are on trial too for what I did, and they will be burned alive even though they are innocent.”

“First we get you to safety, and then we figure out how to help them,” Analia replied.


 
STATIC
Lady Dragon Riders - Chapter Six  (13+)
The adventures of Analia and Elise continue in a far off land
#2075458 by Oldwarrior
© Copyright 2016 Oldwarrior (oldwarrior at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2074778-Lady-Dragon-Riders---Chapter-Five