*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2075359-I-Have-a-Dream
by Angel
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2075359
A story from the point of view of an object.
I have a dream you know! I'm aware that nobody hears me but that doesn't mean I don't have one, and that I can't tell the universe. It listens! It does! You may laugh, but just because I've been sitting on the shelf for so long while you've been living your life, doesn't mean you have to mock. How would you know? Have you actually looked at me lately? I polish up quite nicely when the staff come round. But do you look at me anymore or am I just another object for you to cast aside because you're bored?

Look at the girl I see in the mirror across the room, is this you? Free to fly a kite at will, feeling the wind tugging at you, the breeze in your hair and around your ankles while I'm here unable to enjoy those things. Once, when I first arrived you would come and caress me, stare into me in wonder and amazement but now I don't exist, at least not in your world of high society, balls and gaiety. I'm not even a trinket for you to admire, I'm just a cast off gift, a shining novelty that soon wore off, and now passed by every day, unnoticed.

So back to my dream, I've spent many hours in this library, listening to stories, some of them about great adventures across oceans, with pirates, buried treasure and desert islands. I have hopes one day to be the one that doesn't sit here on the shelf holding within, a very static young girl with a kite and an idyllic landscape, I hope to be holding a genuine message of hope; a letter sent across an ocean, which will bring a stranded love one home. I have a dream...




© Copyright 2016 Angel (angelglory at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2075359-I-Have-a-Dream