*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2075840-The-Spirit-of-StratosThe-shadow-Virus
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Action/Adventure · #2075840
Six inch tall people battle in giant air ships and struggle to survive.
I




“What is war if not an expression of
intelligence? Do the beasts of the woods wage war?
No. They do not have the intellectual prowess
Certainly other endeavors require intelligence but
war incorporates all disciplines and blends them
to reach the pinnacle of the species ability. The
greatest races in the universe destroy themselves
in a grand demonstration of their intelligence. It is
certain.”
(The Book of Stratos, Blue Edition.)



On the planet Laenod the “intelligent” species had elevated themselves, both figuratively and literally, in the art of war. Being of diminutive stature, compared to all other life on the planet, had made the species chances of survival bleak. Laenod, in short, was a planet of monsters. Huge beasts a hundred feet tall and trees six hundred feet high covered the planet. All cities were islands in a forest sea.
Not until the creation of flying machines, inspired by Stratos: The one true God, did exploration of the planet begin in earnest. The three races of man, the red, green and blue skinned people, found each other. They learned of their similarities and differences. They fought the same beasts, sheltered from the same weather and worshiped the same God: Stratos. Still they were different and because Stratos declared different to be evil, they went to war. Really, if you read the Book of Stratos and adhere to it's basic principles you understand war is inevitable.
So, the three main cities Angelis, Barden and Talstar, having created safe places to raise their young, grow and prosper, logically declared war on each other and fought for five hundred years in the air. (The war actually lasted four hundred and eighty three years but who wants to say the four hundred and eighty three year war?) In the beginning floating airships crossed vast forests to clash and battle with enemies. Many hundreds of thousands died. If the battle didn't kill a warrior getting shot down in the forest would. Escaping the enemy and crashing into the forest was just a delayed death sentence.
Curiously enough the distance between the cities was exactly the same. No one questioned this. Life was too full of struggle and routine to do so. Any questions they did have were answered by yellow skinned priests. Usually before anyone thought to ask them. Priests were found in all cities, villages and outposts. Priesthood was honored above all professions. They were the architects and engineers of Stratos's plans. The priests told man how to build domes for protection. Told them how to build ships for battle. They even designed the weapons of destruction. When a yellow child was born to any couple red, green or blue they were immediately taken into the priesthood and raised to serve Stratos. Having a yellow child was a bragging right to most people and was also very rare.
As the war dragged on and territories were won and lost, the races started to mix. Eventually people of different colors were fighting along side each other. The priests that said blue skinned people must fight the red and green skinned people, according to the interpretation of The Book of Stratos, started saying Angelis must fight Barden and Talstar, according to the interpretation of The Book of Stratos.
The youth of these cities went to military school when they came of age at thirteen or a trade school if they are better suited to that. A few from families of wealth and privilege attend a business or political school. Upon graduation some military graduates are chosen to become ensigns and attend officer training school for another two years. Some future politicians also joined the military but leave when they have taken full benefit from their service.
Alec Quinn, a seventeen year old cadet in the last year of training, seemed a typical youth to everyone but he wasn't. His father had given him something he didn't know about; no one else did for that matter. He wanted to be a fighter pilot but failed too many tests. Engineering and command slots were coveted positions and hard to get without the right connections. He did have one influential connection, an Admiral who was a friend of the family, but refused to take advantage of it. His height and stature made him a ground forces candidate. Few people wanted to be what was commonly called a muris (rat) killer but future muris killer he was. He tried to make the best of it and thought it would be exciting. Maybe, after he gained rank, he could transfer.
As the first formal dance of the school year started, Alec Quinn, a blue skinned, lanky youth with gold hair and eyes, nervously stood outside Admiral Koles office. He wanted desperately to go to the dance that started an hour ago but still he waited. He paced quickly before sitting on the edge of a chair. Alec sat close to the door listening to the conversations on the other side, almost making out what they were saying. His dress whites were pressed and what medals he had were polished to a bright shine. He bounced his hat on his knee as he waited and chewed on his lower lip absentmindedly.
“Hello warrior.” A young voice sang.
Alec's head jerked revealing an anxiety he was trying to suppress.
“Oh, Marissa, I mean, Miss Kole, how are you this evening?” Alec quickly stood, dropping his hat. He was much taller than the girl and straight in comparison with here curves.
“Alec please, we've known each other since we were children. No need to be so formal.” Marissa put a hand on his shoulder and winked. Thrusting out a hip as she passed and giggling as Alec nearly fell over. Alcohol was involved. “Seriously Alec, don't be so stiff.”
“The admirals in a meeting.” Alec blurted as the young girl approached the door. Her perfume was as provocative as she was.
“The admiral is late for a party that's more business than pleasure. My father might not like mixing with dignitaries and the upper crust of Angelis City but he's expected to and when he doesn't show to a party, he said he would defiantly be at, people begin to talk and rumors get started. Good ones if I'm involved.” Marissa turned and pointed a finger at Alec.
“Then people ask Elka where he is. Then she, because she is sooooo important, can't leave the party sends her younger and much more attractive sister to find him, when I should be trying to find a young, handsome, rich bachelor to sweep me off my feet, for at least one night, and, well you know where I'm going with this right?”
“Not really.” Alec looked at his feet.
“Yes you do! Why aren't you upstairs? I'm sure there's at least one person who will dance with you.” Marissa smiled.
“...I'm waiting to speak to the Admiral.” Alec failed to hide his discomfort. Her sister, Elka Kole, had been a distraction for Alec ever since they were children. His training had kept them separated for years but in that time he thought of no one but her.
“ Who's in there with him?” Marissa squinted at the door as if she could see through it.
“High priest's Vadis and Egan, Commander Erwapa.” Alec thought for a second. “...a few others and an old priest I've never seen before. Really old, wearing dirty boots and has a green collar. I think he might be a walker.”
A walker was a priest who gave up the luxuries of domed life and walked off to live (or die) in the woods. Since very few returned, most assumed they died.
“ A walker? ...Well this is sounding too important for me. I'm going back to the party. There's at least fifty Lieutenants and Commanders missing this, I'm sure.” Marissa twirled showing off her small sparkling white dress and figure.
Alec watched the blue skinned girl with short, jet black hair walk away for a moment but his thoughts were of her sister.
Shortly the Admirals door opened and he led the other occupants out.
“Cadet Quinn what are you doing here?” Kole was surprised any senior would miss the First Formal.
“Um, well sir I was just wondering …I mean ...” Alec should have practiced a speech he now knew. He looked everywhere but in the Admirals direction.
“I'm sorry Alec, whatever this is, it will have to wait till tomorrow.” The Admiral was waving him off as he walked away.
“It's about the distress beacon from the Toranado. I, um, ...overheard a Com officer talking and was wondering if I could join the search and rescue?” Alec yelled too loud and ran his words together.
Admiral Koles face darkened then he scowled. His mustache bent like a horseshoe. He slowly turned back to Alec.
“Overheard a Com officer? I guess I'll have to remind Erwapa to let his boys know they're not running a news agency ...again.” Kole looked sternly at Alec. “Anything you have heard or think you have heard about the Toranado is considered a military secret. Got it? Do not talk to anyone about this. I'm serious Alec! If I find out you have been gossiping it would be very bad for your military future. I'm half temped to lock you up in the brig for a few days just to be safe.”
“If I go on the search and rescue operation I won't be able to talk to anyone about it.” Alec thought his logic was sound. “I knew a couple of people on the Toranado. They were ...are my friends. I didn't go on last summers military excursion because I was sick, maybe I could do this instead?”
“No Cadet Quinn and that's my final word.” Kole turned to follow the group that had walked out into the hall. “ Commander Erwapa come here for a second.”
The commander excused himself then walked over to Alec and the Admiral.
“Yes sir?” Erwapa stood at attention.
“Cadet Quinn could you please tell commander Erwapa what you told me.” Kole said and waited for the commander's response.
“Well, I was wondering if I could go on the search and rescue mission for the Toranado. I had overheard, accidentally, that it went down a week ago.” Alec over emphasized the word accidentally.
The Commander sighed and lowered his head before addressing the Admiral.
“I'm sorry sir. I'll try to find who leaked this information. I believe we have a few cadets on training status working the radios tonight.” Erwapa said.
“Thank you commander.” Kole said and the commander turned and left. “You are dismissed cadet.” Kole's demeanor changed drastically as he addressed the priests behind Alec. “Father Ekerby I am sorry for the intrusion. If you will all follow me. We can use the officers lift to the main reception area. My daughter is on the planning committee and I think you'll enjoy tonight's party. The food is wonderful. As you can tell by looking at me, I know good food.”
Alec watched as the group moved down the military green and blue hall to the officers lift with the Admiral laughing loudest at his own jokes. Alec strained to here his name mentioned, or the words cadet, or foolish but he didn't. It was a mistake to approach the Admiral. Alec kicked himself for being so stupid as he wandered mumbling to the common lift in the opposite direction.
Several floors above a few hundred guests mingled. Warriors were displaying their dress white uniforms. Every medal they had was pinned on. Since there hadn't been any major conflicts in thirty years it would be difficult to say what they were actually for. Munnors, a form of governor, from a dozen of the outposts, senators, and a few prominent business men were there. An entourage of priests and priestesses surrounded the Grand Light.
The Grand Light was the highest ranking priest of any city. People believed the Spirit of Stratos worked directly through him everyday. Everyone loved him and listened to him and found it unnecessary to even read the Book of Stratos. Through his teachings they learned what the words in the book actually meant and why certain things were wrong and certain things were right depending on how long ago they were written. The old parts of The Book of Stratos weren't as pertinent and important as the newer sections. Stratos, he explained, is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. He is unchanging and perfect. He is the blue overhead.
He is the blue and at night he is the black. The stars show that even in the darkness there is hope. Ora opens and closes at night every thirty days to remind people of Stratos's power over the world and show them how things change in a constant and reliable way and not to question how things are. They are because Stratos wills it.
Ora, Leonid's only natural satellite, was closed and the world around Angelis was dark. In the top of the military tower though, lights blazed into the night; music played, food and drink were consumed and people forcefully tried to make an impression of one kind or another.
Marissa looked for her sister in the mass of people, who thought it better to stand and talk about themselves or the weather, as opposed to use the hundreds of seats provided, to talk about themselves or the weather. A clear sweet laugh broke out leading Marissa right to her sister. It could have been the effect of Starlight brandy or Deep Winter champagne but Marissa thought it was probably just for the benefit of a story teller, or a joke that almost came off.
“Elka,” Marissa smiled. “Sweet, dear sister that sends me on a boring errand, while she enjoys a wonderful party.”
“Marissa, you go to too many parties anyway.” Elka laughed again and led Marissa away from the crowd. “Did you find father? Where is he?”
“Don't you remember? He said he was going to be late.” Marissa raised her voice so the eavesdroppers could hear better. “Elka you've had too much champagne. Let's go to the balcony and get some air, maybe it will clear your head.”
Elka and Marissa walked to an exterior exit smiling and exchanging short words with the guests as they passed. Each wore elegant gowns and had striking figures. Elka was more conservatively dressed than her sister but then again so was every other woman at the event. Elka's thick, golden brown hair stopped mid way to her waist in contrast to Marissa's bobbed hair. They both had light blue skin and silver eyes. Just like their mother's, their father often said. Marissa's figure was more exaggerated but Elka's height and grace made it difficult for men to decide which one to follow with their gaze.
The balcony they went to spanned nearly one quarter of the military tower. Several empty tables with bright red table clothes took up little of the balconies wide space. Long stone planters at each end were filled with serta and sphaci (a type of clover and fragrant moss) The cool night air greeted them as they walked out looking for privacy. The girls quickly found a place on the guard rail that was a comfortable distance from prying ears.
“Father is in a meeting with Commander Erwapa and several high ranking priests.” Marissa watched Elka's face for a reaction.
“Erwapa means ships communications and that means a distress call, if it was an emergency meeting.” Elka mused some other options in her head. “It could be something else.”
“Not likely. If father is meeting with high priests on short notice that's serious.” Marissa said interlacing her fingers.
“So they had a ship go down.” Elka commented off hand. “It will be in the media in a day or two.”
“I wonder which one it was or if it was close.” Marissa said resting her chin on her intertwined fingers.
“If it's close they would send send a distress call. If it's far away that means a beacon. Any ship picking up the signal from the beacon would respond.” Elka chewed her lip. “ Unless it were private. The weather hasn't been bad. So the probability of attack goes up as other probabilities go down.” Elka had taken a statistics and probabilities class and enjoyed it so much she practiced it when ever she could or at least she liked to sound like she was.
“The more you talk the less comforting you are.” Marissa pointed out the obvious. She arched her back and inhaled deeply as if taking in as much fresh air she could before going back into the crowded party, where the smell of alcohol, deep fried foods, cologne and perfume would overwhelm her olfactory senses.
“Whatever is happening, it doesn't sound good.” Elka poured her drink over the banister and glanced up at the circling avians (bird like creatures). The city's automatic security would scare them away if the got too close. No one had been attacked by one for years uncounted but still they kept of guard.
“Marissa.” A voice startled them. They spun around in a flash then tried to look casual.
“Lieutenant Undai are you ready for that dance?” Marissa said. Her voice too high and rushed. “Go inside and I'll be right there.”
The young man shook his head but promptly did as told.
“See if you can pry something from father I'll work on the lower ranks.” Marissa winked as she walked away.
Elka watched her sister then turned back to look over the city. The other domes and towers were lit. A golden light poured from many windows and port holes.
The dome Elka lived in was the largest and most extravagant. The roof was covered in crystal allowing the midday sun to shine down directly on buildings in the center of the city. The tallest was over seven hundred feet with many buildings nearly matching it.
A rail system transported people around the city was operating and would be till late in the night. The rail tubes ran through the newer domes and towers. The domes walls were white with inlaid gold and blue stars in them. The towers design represented it's occupants.
The tower of Stratos was the tallest and most elegant with supple shapes and curves. The military tower was the widest with less grace and harder edges. The government tower had sharper angles and more overhanging sections. The business tower was simple in design but encrusted in gold and covered in glass. Everything on the Eastern half of the city was new and clean. The original dome that people built long ago as defense against the elements and beasts could be seen in the distance. Now it was inhabited by lower class people of red and green skin and it looked drab against the rest of the city. Streaks ran down it's brown and gray exterior. The sunlight didn't shine on the domes in the west like it did where Elka lived.
The whoosh of an avian drew Elka out of her daydream. Looking up she saw nothing. The circling avians that were there minutes ago were gone.
Long ago avians would occasionally pick up people and fly them away. The domes solved most of the problems with beasts and avians but when people started building towers the avians took a renewed interest. To keep people safe, some tried smoke generators and flares but new strategies and devices were desired. Shock darts and chemical sprays were sold as a deterrent for a long time till Stratos told them by imitating the sound of an avians enemy they could keep them away. So now the screeching sound of a predator did the job. A roof over the balcony also made them feel more secure and it helped in inclement weather as well.
Needless to say Elka should have felt safe and secure as she looked out over the city; the last rays of the sun glinting off it's high towers; but something in the pit of her stomach told her bad things were happening or about to happen. A thump, heard or imagined, overhead caused Elka to spin around again.
She could see nothing above her. She leaned out as far as she could but her view was still restricted. The roof of the tower was at least forty feet away and she could hardly see the outside of the building looking up. As she pressed the glass to her lips for a drink, she remembered she had poured it out. Elka consoled herself with the thought that it was just nerves and paranoia as she hastily left the balcony.
Alec stepped into the main celebration hall and found the Seniors First Formal dance in full swing. Years ago the dance was a student sponsored event for students only. Being a military school, the guest list grew till students were actually in the minority. They didn't mind. It was now an excuse to mingle with officers and government people to jump start their budding careers.
Where Alec entered was an upper level with a small bar covering one quarter of the room. Since the students were too young to drink (openly) few were on this level. The cadets down below did consume wine and champagne but in controlled quantities. Instructors and officers watching the cadets ruined any chance for them to get into the trouble they really wanted to.
Alec walked to the edge of the upper level and looked at the crowd below. He saw most of his class, a few people he knew by rank or position and the Walker mingling with students. They seemed to laugh and hang on every word he said. Alec watched him with interest till he saw a tall slender figure walk in from the balcony. The setting sun turned her image into a silhouette but it didn't matter, the rush Alec felt told him who it was.
He watched her cross the open space, his heart light and his soul content for a moment. The thought she was too good for him or his stature wasn't good enough for her entered his mind and pained him. Someday he would deserve her, but would she be with somebody else? Life wasn't moving fast enough for Alec right now. Other times, it was too fast.
“I have seen that look before.” The Walker suddenly appeared beside Alec. He didn't even see him approach. Was he staring that long?
“Sorry I didn't mean to startle you.” The old man smiled. “So which one is it?”
“Which ...which one is what?” Alec acted confused.
“The girl. I have seen that look too many times not to know it when I see it. I've made it myself long ago.” The Walker studied the crowd. “Let's see the one in the green and silver? No. Hmm. The one in black dancing by herself? No. The tall one in the blue ...ah yes that's the one.”
“How did you know?” Alec thought maybe he could read minds.
“Your face told me! Never gamble my boy you'll lose every time.” Laughing the Walker slapped Alec on the back.
“I'm Vandeross Ekerby.” He held out his yellow hand for Alec to shake.
“Alec Quinn.” Alec grasp the old mans hand.
“Didn't I see-” Vandeross stopped, his eyes grew wide and he tightened his grip on Alec's hand. He then grasped Alec's hand with both of his and looked Alec up and down.
“Sir, are you okay? Do you need me to call someone?” Alec said in worried tones.
The old priest rubbed Alec's hand as if rubbing off dirt. He grabbed the young cadets head and looked into his eyes like looking into a dark well.
“Am ...I okay?” Alec said perplexed.
“Alec who are your parents? Are they priests?” Vandeross asked an absurd question.
Yellow skinned people are born from people of other colors and that happens so rarely it is usually considered a sign. A priestess has never given birth to a person other than a yellow skinned one. A priestesses giving birth itself is as rare as snow in the summer.
“No. They were blue skinned. Why do you ask?” Alec was beginning to think the old man in front of him senile.
“Do you dream of strange things or places? Have you ever dreamed of some place you've never been to and later, when you visit it, it's exactly as how you dreamed it? Do you hear voices?” The old priest had a firm grip on Alec shoulder.
“No. Why? Is that …common?” Alec looked around to see if he was the target of someones prank.
Vandeross looked at Alec pondering something. He rubber his chin and squinted.“Let me buy you a drink. We can sit and talk for a few minutes if you like.” Vandeross led Alec to the bar guiding him by the elbow.
They ordered a couple of Green Smashers and sat in a corner as isolated as could be in the stuffed room. A beam supporting the wall served to hide them somewhat. Alec noted the old priest didn't smell strongly of alcohol.
“I am sorry Alec if my line of questions were unusual but I think you are ...unusual. I can see some explanation is in order. Do you know how the priests communicate with Stratos? No? Usually in their dreams, sometimes during meditation once in a great while just out of the blue, pardon the pun.” Vandeross took a drink and made a sour face before continuing.
“Alec there is something special about you. I could feel it when I shook your hand. When a priest touches another priest or priestess there is a connection that can be felt that is never shared with a person not of yellow skin.”
© Copyright 2016 Lightningbob (relarrison at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2075840-The-Spirit-of-StratosThe-shadow-Virus