*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2075846-The-Snake-and-The-Lipstick
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Adult · #2075846
A cosmetics mogul and A Presidential Candidate have a discussion about the past
"Ms. Ricci, a Senator Pluto wants to see you." Lucy the receptionist informed Michele via the intercom. "She says that it's urgent."

Marcia Pluto was the current Republican front runner for the Presidential nomination. She was as cold as she was smart. To her face she was called The Snake, behind her back the names were meaner and more derogatory. Michele briefly wondered what business The Snake had with her, she had no political connections. "Send her in."

"I am quite certain that I know how to open a door," Marcia snapped, the blond girl. She closed the door and moved confidently over to the desk. "It's quite impressive the way you have built this company up. It was near bankruptcy when you bought it and turned it into a multi-billion-dollar conglomerate."

"Health and beauty, specifically cosmetics have always been my passion." Michele took in the sight of the Senator's flaming red hair pulled back into a tight ponytail. Her emerald green eyes gave off a menacing vibe. Michele sucked in a deep breath, "Not to be rude but what business do you have with me?"

"A person after my own heart. Well then, as you know I am running for President and right now I am at the forefront on either side. However, I want to secure this lead and make sure it's more of a coronation than a battle for the White House. What I need from you is an endorsement."

"I don't play a part in politics. I am very sorry that you have wasted your time and mine."

A Cheshire cat like grin spread across Marcia's face. "You do understand how important this election
is, don't you? It could be very dangerous for a business like yours, not to play with me. And it's not as if I am asking for a lot."

"This sounds an awful lot like blackmail to me. I think you should see yourself out before I am forced to let the FBI in on what you are trying to do." Michele smoothed her skirt as she stood, but Marcia made no move to leave. "Do I need to have security escort you out of this building?"

"Has anyone every found your first husband's body? I am quite certain that the FBI would be fascinated with the evidence I have collected on that case. There are also quite a few people who would be interested in learning about what really happened." Marcia pulled a dossier out of her purse and slid it over to Michele, who blanched. "Perhaps some extra reflection is in order for you to make a decision?"

"How did you find this?" Michele thought briefly of the gun she kept in her desk but dismissed the plan. As a candidate, Marcia had Secret Service agents waiting for her outside of the door. Instead she flipped open the folder and tried to control her breathing. "What exactly do you want from me?"

"Just the endorsement. Maybe make a few appearances here and there on my behalf," Neither woman spoke for a long minute. Michele knew that this day would come, that one day her secret life would fall like a house of cards. If only it could be as easy as it had been the first time everything got out of control. Marcia sensed that her victim was trying to plot her way out of this. "Listen we all have that one imperfection in our past that we want to get rid of but it won't go away. My way is the easiest way to do things."

"I don't get involved in politics for a reason, it's bad for business." Michele tried feebly. Her goose was cooked and she knew it. There was no way for her to get out of this. "Can't I just make a contribution or something?"

"If it was that simple, I would have simply asked for money. No, as a respected executive I need your face out there and speaking for me. That is the only way this will work." Marcia grabbed the folder and slid it back into her briefcase. "You should be used to this sort of abjection, seeing as you were part of the mafia for a long time as well."

"I have never been part of the mob. That is as offensive as the blackmail is illegal, how can you want to serve as President when you don't even follow the rules?"

"I am The Devil or as you know me The Snake. Trust me Michael, I take no pleasure in what I am doing."
The use of her real name made her blood run cold. It was supposed to be the one part of her identity that no one could find, yet somehow this woman had. Marcia sat back with a smirk on her face, her lips wordlessly formed the words: "Game over."

Michele stood up and walked over to the window, and stared out at the landscape of Manhattan. "How did you find out?"

"It wasn't hard to figure out, Clyde was gay and married to a man named Michael. When he found you in bed with his best friend and threatened to expose your connection to the mob, he disappeared. Your father was a very good friend of mine and died before I found you, but I promised him that I would find you and make sure you got what you deserved." Marcia stood up and placed her hand on Michele's back. "You did everything right except build an empire. Now I will destroy it if I don't get what I want. You will be my puppet until I am in the White House."

"Everyone was supposed to think that I died, no one should have been looking for me. I left that life behind so long ago. Why now? Why me?"

"You made mistakes, as we all have. Some pay for them and others literally get away with murder. You just aren't one of those lucky few."



© Copyright 2016 Author Ed Anderson (spaz11081 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2075846-The-Snake-and-The-Lipstick