*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2075868-Lesson-6
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Assignment · Educational · #2075868
Reeling in Your readers assignment
Lesson 6: discussion


1. Did you agree with the authors’ ideas? Why or Why not? I agree because I found so many answers and explanations in the articles.

2. What you would do different from their suggestions? Why? Probably nothing different at this stage of study. Because, I am just learning different writing techniques inside of fiction. Although the articles warn that many time rules are broken in writing and sometimes breaking the rules works.

Starting with calling To Be a protean. I did not know some of the listed facts about Proteus. I liked the idea of to be verbs being “the most irregular, slippery, verb in the language.” The fact that it can change its form caused me to start thinking about how it is used in books I have read. Or, even if it is used in some of my favorite stories?

I like the idea of inverting the order of subject and verb to test the use. I like ways to apply use, in order to affect the outcome of the action.

My first question was answered later in the reading. Question: Is it a better sentence if the verb stands alone. Do you get more action without to be verbs?

Another thing that caused me to use a test on different sentences. Positive statements are followed by negative tags, negative statements by positive tags.

The “How to Eliminate Wordiness” gave me really excellent suggestions. The part about redundancies was very specific. The article gave me answers to how I could eliminate wordiness which also combines with changing passive verbs to action verbs to create suspense.

I really did not disagree with any of the things I read. I had many questions answered by the material. I have been wondering how to slow down suspense if it builds to high and there is a very good illustration with the answer to the question.

A special thing I never thought to ask was, never leave a chapter on a quiet point in the story. Such an easy thought that makes so much sense. I have a lot of comparison and study to do but I am delighted with what I see in the lesson.
© Copyright 2016 Apondia (judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2075868-Lesson-6