*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2075949-A-Clear-Memory
Rated: E · Draft · Family · #2075949
I've come to find type of solace in writing letters
I have one clear memory of you.

At the time I must have only been about five years old but I can remember the words you spoke to me that day. You only spoke Spanish and granted I speak it too, but only as well as a second generation Hispanic can. You said, "I know you get angry, and I know she is not easy, but you have to love her and protect her because that is your little sister." That day I promised you that I always would.

I have held your promise to the best of my ability after all these years without you. You taught me something so very important that day- to protect and care for the things I love. To this day I can count the people I have told I loved them because I know the weight those words carry. It's a responsibility I am agreeing to the moment those words run from my mouth, as it should be. As I grow older I see more and more how often those words are thrown around with very little intent to properly nourish them, so being the young adult I am now, I have to thank you.

I want to thank you for being the first man to show me love. Not only the unconditional love from a grandfather to their granddaughter, but the importance staying true to the love in which you've declared.

Every morning I wake up with the intent to be the honest, thoughtful young girl you taught me to be. Every night I go to sleep hoping my mistakes have not clashed with that same teaching.
© Copyright 2016 tiffanyamanda (tiffanyamanda at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2075949-A-Clear-Memory