*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2075952-The-Blackbank-Mile-Novel
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #2075952
A prelude for my new story about the Ghost town turned prison of Blackbank.
The Blackbank Mile



Prelude



“To escape the reality of imprisonment, only prevents the inevitable.”


Looming mountains trap the valley clearing. The cold Montana air blows the tall prairie grass in a swaying manner. Faintly in the distance is a glowing white light from an unseen structure. One spot, four by four, has grass that is not moving. The tall grass stays stiff with the blowing wind. The small spot begins to shake back and forth, until it lifts and is tossed aside. This fake grass is attached to a board, painted, and glued with fake grass. Underneath this patch is an opening leading to a tunnel.

Michael James peers out from the dark tunnel. He raises himself, but keeps low, to look toward the light in the distance. A sly smile crosses his face at this initial taste of freedom. He stands up triumphantly and takes a deep breath. He wipes the dirt off of his ripped button-down shirt. He kneels down beside the hole and reaches in.

Alicia Jones reaches up from the darkness and hangs on tight to Michael’s hand. Michael lifts her and lays her on the grass. Alicia, dressed similar to Michael, runs her hand through the rich grass. Michael climbs on top of Alicia and gently kisses her on the cheek. She embraces him.

“We made it.” Michael kisses her one more time.

A rustling sound breaks the moment. Michael looks up, moves off of Alicia, and slowly tries to peer through the grass.

“What is it?” A frightened Alicia, clings to the ground.

Michael moves a few pieces of grass and peers through the darkness. His eyes trying to focus on anything they can see. Michael remains still, listening to anything that can break the eerie sound of silence. Michael turns back to Alicia with a smile.

“There’s nothing there.” Michael stands, and looks down to Alicia. He reaches out his hand for her.

A muzzle flash in the distance catches Michael’s eye. The ripping sound of a bullet tearing through the wind soon follows, and strikes Michael in the center of his forehead. He takes one final look at Alicia, before falling backward into the grass. His lifeless body thumps to the ground. In shock, Alicia holds back her scream. Fast stomping footsteps approach from the west. Alicia takes a moment collect herself. She feels around for anything that might help her. Her hand finds the edge of the tunnel opening.

Three camouflaged military-style men rush through the tall grass. Their long range rifles loaded and ready. They slow as they approach the opening of the tunnel. One of the men peers through the night vision scope. A white figure, lying lifeless on the ground, in the center of the scope. All three men surround the tunnel - guns drawn.
In the tunnel, Alicia, lying face down. She cries to herself. Her moment of freedom stripped away so quickly. The love of her life - her saviour - now dead on the outside. She takes a moment to regain her composure. She listens to the outside. No sound. No quicker is she able to get to her feet, she is grabbed from behind. She screams as she digs her fingers into the dirt. She is pulled out from the darkness. After a moment, her screams quickly fade to silence.
© Copyright 2016 Greg Justin Hall (squiggy82 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2075952-The-Blackbank-Mile-Novel