*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2078072-A-Shamans-Faith
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #2078072
A jaded shaman must have faith that he can save a life. This is Flash Fiction 508 words
The man laid on his deathbed sweat glistening on his skin and shaking uncontrollably.

"I told you this is a mistake, the last time I tried this I killed the man. He should be in a hospital not dying in his own bed."

"You’re a shaman aren’t you? My husband is dying… do something!"

"Mrs Audridge you don’t understand, if it was a regular sickness I could help but this is different, it’s a spell which makes it more dangerous. It could kill me as well as him."

"I don’t care if you think you aren’t good enough, just try."

I unloaded my backpack for the items I would need. I had to do it not just for his sake but mine, I needed my faith back.

After the preparations were done I sat in the crude circle on the floor. The chanting started and my spirit finally connected to his.

I found myself in a dark room and immediately saw my opponent. The hairy spider was as big as a small pony and was hovering over a figure on the bed. I couldn't tell who it was because he was wrapped tightly in a web.

I yelled, “I demand that you stop!”

The spider jumped ten feet in the air and came down beside the bed hunched low ready to attack. "You should not be here," it said in a screechy voice.

"This man's life, it's not yours." I slowly edged my way to get a closer look at the man's condition, "Who sent you?"

"Char won't answer, Char will eat two, it is good day." The spider scuttled between me and the bed.

"I won't let you, I'll kill you," I said with my legs shaking.

"Char will eat you, you fear smells good. You weak." It shuddered and jumped towards me.

I wasn't quick enough, so it tackled me to the ground. I did get my legs in place on its midsection and shoved the thing away from me before it could get a good hold on me. But it was too fast, Char rebounded from the floor and flung itself at me again. This time, it found it's mark and I felt pain in my right leg.

I screamed but it wasn't the scream of pain or fear rather it was rage. My familiar came and embodied me. Char no longer was holding my spirit man leg but the spirit of a full grown grizzly bear. Char jumped again but this time away from me. It didn't get far, the bear spirit took over and I remember spider legs being rip apart but not much else.

I came out of the trance and watched Mrs Audridge take the hand of her husband who was resting peacefully.

"Thank you." She smiled at me.

I returned the smile and gathered my gear but before I left the room I sneezed and small specks of blood splattered on my hand.

"Oh my," Mrs Audridge said. "That's what happened to my husband before he became ill."
© Copyright 2016 Dave2write (dave2write at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2078072-A-Shamans-Faith