*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2078335-I-love-WDC
Rated: E · Short Story · Biographical · #2078335
How and why I joined this site
It's strange how I came to this web-site and I wish I could tell you how and why, but I honestly don't remember. I was in the hospital for the umpteenth time with pneumonia and my husband brought my lap top up, at my insistence, so I would have something to do while lying in bed. I must have been surfing the web or looking for a writing class when I stumbled onto WDC. I don't remember, but I must have, written something to you but it wasn't long before I received an e-mail back from Vivian of dWG. She was very nice and asked me if I could I tell her what was wrong with me. It didn't bother me at all and I explained everything to her. She gave me some information about her port and said I was welcome to have a look at it. So, I did. I stuck around with Vivian for awhile because I didn't know anyone and was uncomfortable with do anything at the time. I will always be grateful to Viv and will help her out whenever I can.

Finally, I branched out to other ports to see what was up on them. Not understanding how immense this place was and is. Next I wrote a few short stories (actually they were written for a writing class I was doing at the time.) and placed them into my port for reviews. I may have even ask for one, but I don't remember. One or two of my stories were pretty bad and I knew it but with a review I felt I could make it better. Well I stood the test of time and I was right, they were terrible and the reviews didn't bother me, it only made me want to get better. After all I was writing my second book and wanted as much info as I could get on my writing.

Time went by and I continued to come back here every day. I was really beginning to love WDC. and I wanted to branch out a bit. Little, by little I would enter a contest, therefore I was writing more. Imagine that! A groups of writers writing. WOW! I'd hit the jackpot. As my writing increased, I gained more confidence with it. I started talking with other members, but I was pretty starry-eyed when it came to Elle, who has been wonderful to me,
Gaby, WebWith, the Witch, Fran, and several others. I wanted to be just like them.Still do!

One person who has influenced me is Brian Compton. It was the first "Dear Me" letter I had ever written and it was a tough one. The winner that year was Brian and I wanted to see what he had written.Now all of us go through some very tough times in our lives but we manage to get through, a little more battle scared, but a little tougher. It was obvious Brian was really down so I wrote a review with more than what a review should have been. Several weeks later I received an e-mail with only the word, "hello." It certainly got my attention and I wrote back. In all of this he has been very encouraging of my writing. I wrote a poem and he let me know what I needed to work on. He read some of the pages of my book I'm writing and made sure to encouraged me on it. Although he isn't on as much now he very much a mentor to me.

I feel I have many friends here. Minja is one who is dear to my heart and always will be. I feel I have become closer to Elle and Gabby. Marci is a large influence. GemiGem, Re during, I could go on but then the short story would n't be short any more. My very favorite person is Mr. Bones. We don't always see eye to eye but he is hysterical!

I never thought a writing site could make me cry, but this one has. First with winning a contest for my poetry, then making me a yellow case, and now I'm a blue case, I cried all three times. LOL! Yes, I can be emotional.

As far as SM and SMS, who could ask for better people to keep a site like this going, even with the tough times they are going through, be fair minded and down-right good people. Thanks to them we have a place to go to and write our hearts out, run wonderful contest and help each other.
© Copyright 2016 Lynda Miller (lmiller7569 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2078335-I-love-WDC