*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2079259-Wild-Things
by Sarah
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #2079259
A short tale about a man who befriends a mysterious gorilla with a magical past
Wild Things


The zoo stood humbly beside his office looking obnoxious in a dazzling emerald colour like something out of The Wizard of Oz. As Eric strolled his way through the long-standing park he noticed a new set up. Odd, he thought and ruffled his grey mane. In the distance he could make out a shiny new cage with swing sets and all kinds of ropes thrown in. In the centre of the cage stood a great oaf of a creature. As tourists pushed their noses against the glass, it chewed away at an old carrot with a look of bewilderment on its face.

Eric noticed Kwahu, the Native American janitor looking unusually anxious. After a brief catch up he sighed, ā€œAll day everyday he just sits there chewing that damn carrot. The people think thereā€™s something off about him.ā€

ā€œWell, is there?ā€

ā€œThere have been stories. Some say he worked at a circus until one day he got fed up and ate his trainer.ā€ In horror Eric glanced at the creature who was still chewing away longingly.

ā€œā€¦but I donā€™t believe it, heā€™s a goodhearted fella. There used to be this tale about a guy who always visited one of the gorillas. With all his heart he wished for the creature to know what it felt like to be a man, a free man. But it seemed his wish got mixed up cus one day he transformed into a gorilla!ā€

Eric snorted letting out a chuckle in disbelief.

As he walked home he couldnā€™t help but think about the poor creature all alone in its little cage; everyday the same old carrots to chew, being taken away from its home. He dreamt that he could set it free. He would find himself in Uganda surrounded by a chorus of melodic sounds and glittering colours. There his friend would be amongst the green vines with a little smile on his face and a baby on his back. At night all the family would huddle together picking bugs from each others backs as though they would never leave each others sides again.

One autumn day Eric decided to visit the old fella but to his surprise he was nowhere to be seen. Kwahu was going about his usual business sweeping away the leaves whilst whistling a tune.

ā€œHey, whereā€™s our friend?ā€

ā€œOh heā€™s long gone. Transferred I guess.ā€ Kwahu saw Ericā€™s face fall and patted him on the shoulder. ā€œTrust me heā€™s gone someplace better that this."

Hours later Eric found himself sitting on an old, stone bench looking longingly at the rusty cage; he hoped the gorilla was somewhere better than this old dump. Heā€™d grown fond of it and in all honesty it reminded him a little of himself.

As the sky turned to darkness he noticed Kwahu locking up the pens. Suddenly, in one of those bizarre, one of a kind, moments something wonderful happened. The wise old man started to transform, a cloud of sparkling light encircled him and from the mist emerged an eagle. With the wind under its wings it took off into the twinkling night sky.

It seemed the tale was true, maybe his friend had been set free. For the first time in Eric's life he felt like a weight had been lifted and in that instant the world became a little more wonderful.
© Copyright 2016 Sarah (lost_onearth at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2079259-Wild-Things