*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2079968-Death-Sand
Rated: GC · Short Story · Sci-fi · #2079968
A revenge prank can be very satisfying. it can also be very dangerous too.

Death Sand


     “What are you doing? You’re not trying another revenge prank are you?”

     Braind was squatted on the floor doing something down there. After hearing what Jarre just said he almost hit the ceiling when he jumped up. “Don’t sneak up on me like that. What are you trying to do – kill me?”

     “I don’t have to do that. You are going to do it all by yourself trying to get revenge on Pandim.”

     “Not this time. It’s not going to happen like it has every other time I’ve tried to get revenge.”

     “You always say that. And each time it’s you who ends up getting the revenge against him. Something always goes wrong.”

     “That’s not going to happen this time. I’m finally going to get my revenge against Pandim.”

     “Why don’t you walk me into work. On the way maybe I can’t talk you out of doing this.”

     Braind got up off the floor he landed on hard after Jarre stared him. He needed a lot of help from Jarre to do that though. “It’s not going to do any good. I’m not going to stop trying until I get my revenge.”

     They only took a few steps when Braind suddenly stopped. “What are you doing here? This isn’t on your way to work. In fact, it’s in the opposite direction.”

     “I here looking for you. After what happened yesterday I knew you would be trying to get even with Pandim.” They started walking again. “I’m just sorry I couldn’t find you in time. By the way, what is it you are trying to do?”

     “It’s the perfect revenge prank. I put some Death Sand in a hole. Then I covered it up. When he steps on that part of the floor it’s going to give way. And he’s going to sink into the sand - fast.”

     That time it was Jarre who suddenly stopped – and pinned Braind’s shoulders to the wall. “Where did you get Death Sand. How is killing him going to get your revenge.”

     Braind tried to get unpinned. But for a petite skinny female she was stronger than she looked. “I’m not going to kill him. It’s not real Death Sand. I just want him to think it is. After he panics, and sinks almost over his head, I will pull him out.”

     “Where did you get the sand? There hasn’t been any sand on Ianon for centuries.” They started walking again.

     “There isn’t a lot of it. But there is still sand around. I found some in the underground water system.”

     “You were in the underground water system! Weren’t you afraid of the monsters that live down there?”

     Braind started laughing. There aren’t any monsters. That’s just our government covering up all the deaths, I mean disappearances, caused by working in the Pollovine Plants.”

     Jarre suddenly stopped again. “What makes you so sure Pandim is even going to come this way to work?”

     “He always does. That way if he’s late, and he’s always late, he doesn’t think anyone will notice it.”

     “You obviously did. That’s why you set up the prank isn’t it? You’re still going through with this stupidity – aren’t you?

     “Of course, I am. I told you, me escorting you to work isn’t going to change that. I’ve got plenty of time to get back there before Pandim shows up.”

     “Then you are doing it alone. I don’t want anything to do with it.”

     Jarre walked around a corner. Braind started to go after her. But changed his mind. He turned and suddenly stopped. “Oh No, I don’t know where I am. This place is like a giant maze. I don’t even remember what color the walls were. Jarre did this on purpose to stop me from getting my revenge.”

=====-=====-=====-=====-=====

     Braind barely put his foot on the floor in front of him. Once sure it was safe he put his foot down. He kept his eyes on that floor as he carefully, one step at a time, continued down that hallway. “This is definitely the right area. I’m sure this is the color. I just don’t know where the Death Sand it at.”

     After taking only a few more steps Braind found his sand trap – the hard way. The floor felt right. But it wasn’t. A second later he fell into his own trap. And a few seconds later he heard some outrageous laughter from behind him.

     “I knew you were up to something when I saw the way you were walking around here. That’s why I have been following you for the last half hour.”

     “Okay, you win again. I have fallen into yet another revenge prank going totally wrong. Now get me out of here.”

     Pandim pushed a button on the wall, there was one ever foot or so on each side, and first an outline of a square appeared. Then that square popped open to reveal a chair. Which Pandim sat down on. “I will help you in time. But first I want to just watch you panic.”

     “Oh, come on. Help me.” Braind turned to face Pandim with a lot of difficulty. “At least I don’t have to worry about the embarrassment like yesterday.”

     “I’m not so sure about that. We could have a bomb scare. And everyone in the village could be here. Some of them might even be joining you in there.”

     “What was that?” Braind started looking all around him in the sand. “I just felt something touch my foot.”

     “Of course, you did. You don’t really expect me to fall for that old lie – do you?”

     Before Braind could respond he was sucked under the sand. Pandim raced over to the sand trap and tried to reach in for Braind. He swirled his hand all around that sand.

     A few hours later Pandim was being escorted out of that maze by two very aggressive Locals. “I thought he was still trying to get his revenge against me.”




© Copyright 2016 PureSciFi (spacefaction at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2079968-Death-Sand