*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2080224-The-ghost-of-the-sword----Chapter-2
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #2080224
Arrival in another community
CHAPTER 2





Shallynne was determined to find lodging and food in the next community watcing the burn to the ground. She took what ever she could find to pay for her provisions to stay alive. She swore over her mother's body, standing there tears running down her cheeks, at the anguish she was feeling towards these murders, She drew up her hands to look not at her mother. They would pay the people back for doing this.

She had some money knowing it would not last long. now could be considered a horse thief. If someone knew this horse. She might be in trouble. She wanted to make them pay for this. The next community was two days ride from here. knew she would have to be careful as she did this. They might double back to see what had happened to their cohorts. She winced.

The person who rode the horse, did not look like he would be needing it. Did he? Seeing the next community filled with people going about their business there. She thought to herself, as she looked at the horse. Walked with it to the livery station in their community. With the body still laying across its withers. She needed to know, who had done this to her community.

The people who saw her and the horse drew away from her and it, The look on their faces spelled fear. The body was not much to look at, it was a haven for insects to feed on, The scent was horrendous, as it wafted off of the body into her face. She garments were blood stained, but it was the best she could do.

She walked to the livery station to put her horse inside. She lifted the body's head to show it to the groom his face. The groom staggered away looking firghtened upon seeing the face of the man who attacked her.

The owner looked at her, with worry in his eyes.His eyes hung on the face of the man she had killed, “How did you come by the horse, I may ask?”

"I found it in the woods, near Halves grove. Wandering around, it looked a little spooked, I do not know by what, I calmed it down, and that is why it is with me This man attacked me." Shallynne said as she patted the horse's neck.

“There were highwaymen, who would pay a great deal for a horse like this, there in the woods.” He said taking the reins from my hands. He noted they were scratched up quite a bit.

She supposed,'"I gained it from the fight I had engaged in."

Though he said, nothing more about it to me. Of this, I was thankful for.'

He did see the pommel of the great sword that produced from its baldric, the baldric was of a great deal of craftsmanship to produce, myself had only seen it on knights and their horses when they had ridden through the community. I noticed his eyes as they lingered there.

Seeing as you do not have much to bargain with, how much for the sword and its baldric. I have never seen one crafted so, well in this region since as long as I can remember?” Tagr asks as he reached for the pommel.

She drew away from him, drawing up a small dagger, which she was more familiar with which to work than a great huge sword. To point at his throat. The very tip a scant distance away from his Adam's apple. “I think, you can not afford it.”

He flinched and drew away from her arms reach

"Tagr, I think the lady does not wish to deal with such an loathsome creature such as you,” someone just past Shallynne to her right. She spied a noble with a bow drawn and ready to use on hi,

“ Deacon. I am sorry, If I troubled you, my dear lady.” Tagr said as he drew away from her, his eyes resting on the bowman. Forgetting all about the sword he wanted so much.

“I thank you,” Shallynne said.

“Who are you?” Deacon said.

“Shallynne.”

“I recognize that name.'' Deacon said.

“How do you know, my name?” Shallynne said.

“I have an acquaintance of theirs,” he said

“Oh.”

“Perhaps you should join me, in the inn?" he said with a smile as he put the arrow into its sheath.

“Thank you, I think, I will?” Shallynne said.


He led her to the roaring lion. Entered after he held the door open for her. He chose a table with his back to the wall. She sat across from him, his hand did not linger far from his sword as it lay on his hip, she did like with hers nearest her dagger.

The place was bust with people of all walks of life eating and or drinking. There was a person singing a song to their right,with his hat upon the floor to acquire money with which to eat and drink.

A portly matron approached their table, she smiled at them. “What would you like?”

“Two bowls of soup and a couple of ales please.”Deacon answered for the both,

“Of course, sir?” she said to him.

“I am sorry, but I have not caught your name?” Shallynne asked.

“I must apologize for that oversight, I am Lord Mecua.I know you, parents, that is how I know of you. Surely they would not have allowed you to journey outside of their watch. To my friends I am Deacon” he suggested.

“They have been killed! Thank you my lord.” she stated as she drew up some ale with which to drink.

His eyes grew to the size of an eye of a needle. His eyes darted to the pommel of the sword on her back. He shifted about to show his unease with what she had said, His hand falling to pommel of his sword, it now lay there at rest, “How?”

"The community is no more. The man with me, was one of them” she said sobbing.

He looked mortified at what she had just, trying to calm her, so he sugggested. 'Did you see the people who attacked the community."

"You must come to my home." Deacon suggested, "after we get rid of the body,it is unpleasent scent that is coming off of you."

"I know. Thank you, if your staff would not mind, That is." Shallynne said as walked with him to his home. It looked like a very stately mannor, stain glass windows adorned the place. Two huge doors to allow them entrance to the house, there stood two guards at the doors. The guards looked as though they may have been expecting trouble.

Deacon lead her inside. "Go to the right. I will have my servants prepare a bath for you."

"But, you do not know me." Shallynne warned.

"I know your family. So,I do not have anything to worry about." Deacon said as he turned to walk out the door again and asked,“Would you mind, if I was to see this for myself."


A stout woman watched as Shallynne walked into the bath. She brought with her a set of towels, and some soap. Also some garments for Shallynne to wear, "I am to help you," she said.

Shallynne spun about to see who had addressed her, she did not hear the door so much as open, or close. Before her lay a bath water with steam rising from it. She had never been in a room such as this. She was worried about how she would look. The woman's voice startled her, she fell head long into the water, still clothed. When she came u for air the woman was before her.

The woman laughed,"I am sorry about startling you."

"Startled, you scared me out of one of my lives."Shallynne retorted back as she drew herself up from the water.

"I am here, to aid you in getting dressed."the woman suggested, as she walked towards her. Helping Shallynne remove the garments she wore, which were sodden.


He rode out to there, finding what she spoke of to be true. He rode there with an escort as he was of royal blood. The escorts drew up short as they saw smoke rise form the community. They slowed their movement to a steady cantor. Their hands never leaving the pommels of their weapons. They looked wearly about. However they saw no movement from anywhere in the community.

"How could this have happened?'",He pondered as he looked at this settlement. Which was no more. He did not find a body that was not of their community. All woman and girls who could bare children were gone for the community. He did not know as to who had done this. He did not know.

He saw the house, of his friend Thaulin. Which had once in it the birth place of Shallynne. Thaulin had his hands in the community as any ruler should, but he played down this part to anyone who knew him. He ruled over the community as they and Meacon would allow. The community did not lack for resources, it had great clothes and meracntile produce. This attack would be felt through out Meacon's realm. It would anger his father. Lord Meacon, his father would be angered by this having happened here.

When he walked into the houseof Thaulin. He found her mother Sarata having been butchered most guresomely. Her husband hung by his intestines in the bedroom. From a peg.

"The barbarians who did this would pay." Deacon declared, he too, was crying, "Thaulin was a brother to me."




Going back to where he had left Shallynne. He swore to the god, that his people prayed to find out who had done this. He swore, he would avenge their deaths.

“Do you know, who has done this?” he asked.

“They tried to have their way with me. Someone had given me this sword. Also protected me, with it.” Shallynne suggested, she did not feel right about wearing such a rich gown as this. She was awaiting his return in the tea room. She did not know anything, that spoke of this type of noblity.

“Do you know, who this was?” Deacon asked as he walked into the chamber, tears spilled from his brown eyes to burst as little rain droplets would upon the stones that made up the floor.

“When I was able to stand, he was gone. However, there was a suit of armor and a body in it. I did not know who had that armor.”Shallynne supplied.

“I think, we can find out more about the sword.”, Deacon suggested as they left the room to walk to the armory. Black smoke poured from the water, where the smith put it to stop the fire from damaging the blade of the weapon.

He went with her to the swordsmiths to check the craftsmanship of the sword. He walked into the weapons smiths. Deacon stopped and waited until the sword was out of the water, so teh smith could get back to making it sharper,

Deacon said,"Taka, could you check the weapon. I wish to know of its owner."

“Yes, my lord.” Taka said.

“I would like you to look at the sword, she has with her.” lord said

“Okay, my lord,” Taka suggested, as she handed him the sword.

He checked the pommel, the stone that was as it was when it was made. The stone was crimson in color. The edge was without a blemish, it was straighter than an arrow's path. It looked very well designed. Taka said after checking the weapon's weight and its every edge, “The sword was designed with a symbol of a woman holding an upraised sword in her hands and a man in the same pose.There was a name on the sword. The craftsmanship on the sword is very well created this has come from the Raidel house, it belongs to one of their knights. How did she come to have it?”

“I found it?” Shallynne supplied to him.

“There is no way, he would have parted with it. The weapon was to be handed down from family member to family member.” Taka said, he looked at her and could not believe what she had to him. He felt she was lieing to him about it's arrival in her hands, she looked to be a noble, but her vocie was not of any noblity he had ever seen around here. The way she moved also betrayed her rank and stature.

“He was slain in the woods. I found his sword there,” she said.

"That is not possible." Taka said

"Are you accusing her of lieing to you." Deacon snarled, hand her back the sword. "Speak to no one of her having this sword."


The lord went to his family home, to talk to his father about this matter that was before them. The murder of the Shallynne's family was up in the air, he knew that his father would not want to find the cause of this.

After seeing his father, his father decided to send him out with a couple of bags of coin to buy him whoever he might need. The lord looked as if he had been given the keys to his home. His father also gave him a decree for his soldiers to join him the pursuit of this matter.



The lord Deacon walked into the house where his father's soldiers were there. He looked about, the soldiers looked at him, they saw a look on his face, that they did not like.Knowing he was here, there had to be a reason for this, but what they did not know. They were afraid of what his father may have done. The lord pointed at the soldiers he wanted to take with him. They understood this.

“What is it?” Draca asked as he walked towards him. Draca did not like the lord but knew he was honorable. So, he would not ask them to do something, that was not honorable.

“I have need of you people.” the Lord commented.

“So, you want us to do?” Draca said.

“Come with me. Someone had attacked Shallynne's family and her community. I want to find the culprits for this.” The lord said,


A group of them walked out of the barracks. They choose to walk to the livery. The liveries owner had arranged for them to mount their horses.

“Any idea as to who has done this?” Sila asked as he patted his horse's nose. As he looked at the lord who did not look in anyway pleased. Shook his head in disgust.

“No.That is why we are going there. We ride.”


Shallynne and Lun joined the horses headed towards the community that had been attacked.

The community looked like it was a grave, nothing moved. The quiet hung there like a noose, Shallynne led them to where the remaining bodies were. They found the body's having arrow and bolt's fletching seemed to show that they had come from communities that were from Calratee. So, that was who attacked them.

“Calratee, is a strong kingdom. They would not have done this without cause.” Meas suggested.

The lord did not know of any reason for them to have attacked their community. He looked at the door to Shallynne's home.

"The skull in the doorway it signified the plague. That might have been the reason." Sila suggested.


"The plague. That is frightening?” Deacon suggested

“We did not have the plague,” Shallynne said.

“My father will look into the matter for you.” the Lord said.

“They should have given you, a letter of the declaration of war.” Sila supplied.

"There had to be an explanation for this," He suggested

“What would he gain, by doing this?” Lun asked.

“He may want us to reduce our supplies and forces by going there to attack them.” Deacon stated

“You think, this is a ploy. To have us fight there. The ruler has no reason to be his key interest is to the west. Not here, so this is a means with which to protect the people responsible for doing this.”

“So, who would want this?” Shallynne inquired

“Who despises that ruler, that much.” Lun asked,

“Kalrateast, would benefit for this to occur.” Deacon said.



Deacon stormed into the room where his father was, “Kalrateast is responsible for this.”

His father looked up from a table where a map lay. Looking at the map he looked up at his son, “You claim that Kalrateast. Is responsible for this. We must do this to be there.”

The lord looked at him, he was upset with what he had found there,”The bastard. Plotting to allow us to be unable to fight him, freely.”

“Grab as many horses you have to use. You have to stop them. Where will they be going next, do you suppose.” the king said

“Where would the people, who attacked their community go?” Deacon asked.


“Shalat, is the next community in line.” his mother responded

“Yes,” the king said

“We must go there.” Deacon suplied

“It is a plan.” the queen said.



The riders saw indicators of the horses going there from the community that had been under attack.

They were a ways way from them. The lord sent out his fastest riders to pursue them in their ride If you see them return to us. We will find a means with which to defend them and create a choke point on their movements.


The horses will have made the journey to there. They looked as if they had been ridden far. The riders looked as though they had been ridden hard and long. They did not think to look over their shoulders to see if anyone is there.

“There they are. I think, we had better go back and tell the lord that we have found them there.”

“So, do I?”

They turned around and rode back to their lord and his party that was there. Awaiting their arrival there. The riders returned. This was by nightfall. They were sleeping in the day because they did wish to be seen by anyone. They are hiding in the brush.

They are by the bridge of Woes.

“Have they crossed it?”

“No!”

“That is where we will waylay them,”the lord said.

They rode towards the bridge, as they arrived there. They saw the group coming to a wake They were running for their horses.

“We should kill them, where they lay?” one of the soldiers suggested.

“No. We should not do this?” the lord suggested.

The force that had arisen drew up their weapons as they saw our forces come over the rise. They had drawn their weapons to defend themselves. The force looked like they were not expecting this to have happened.

The group fanned out to cover the ground to keep us at bay. The enemy attacked us with arrows. And spears. We were driven back by them. We wanted to slay the lot of them. They had personal walking with them, so they would be far slower than us.

It looked as though they had been surprised by our arrival there.

The lord urged the horses back from where they were stationed.

“Why are we drawing back?” Shallynne said

“So, they will decide to forget this idea that they have.” the Lord suggests.

Shallynne says,”They should die.”

“I think, not,” the lord said.


She charged off to pursue them. The soldiers began to draw their pikes with which to defend themselves from them. The soldiers made a line, with their shields and pikes to stand before the horses that were before them.

The soldiers did not back away, they choose to stand there and protect themselves as the others began to walk away from the attacking force. The horses that had attempted to attack the force that was there. The end result was losing several horses in this attack.

Shallynne's horse had broke through the line, a swordsman beheaded the horse. She rode. Falling from the horse as it fell. The horse went one way and her head went another direction. She was frightened as this happened.

The swordsman's eyes were aglow with a jade light that came from his visor. He advanced towards where she lay. Struggling to be free of her stir up. She was not harmed by the fall from the steed. The man who cut her horse down swung his sword to decapitate her. His sword went scant inches away from her head and neck. The sword sank a third of its way into the soft earth. She scooped up the soil to throw into his eyes.

He released his sword, to try and clear his visor, she kicked out his legs from under him. To knock him off his feet. He tumbled backward. She rolled herself out from where she was laying. The swordsman drew himself to his feet.

Shallynne touched the sword's pommel. The sword had been now held by a knight. She recognized the armor as that the one who had worn the armor where she found it. The knight stood as if he was very well versed in swordplay.

The swordplay very well done. The man, who had lost his weapon drew up one his right hand to show his palm.

There was a green light that tore through the edge of darkness. The light hit the knight, it continued to come out of his palm. The knight was driven back from where he stood. The swordsman began to close the gap.

Shallynne leaped at him, with her arms outstretched to knock him from where he stood. She did knock him back a bit. The swordsman scooped up his sword with one hand.

The knight took a swing at him. The sword missed him, by a hair's breadth. The sword was twisted so it came up from its attack. To miss fellating him. The swordsman swung his open hand it caught Shallynne in the eyes.

She could no longer see.

When her sight had returned the knight was still standing there. The swordsman she and he faced was gone. He dropped to his knees to present her with the sword.
© Copyright 2016 Richard Patrick (richardpat at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2080224-The-ghost-of-the-sword----Chapter-2