*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2080352-Silent-Sara
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by K8McP
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #2080352
Contest entry: Children's story using several prompt words.
Today, we are going to talk about how to recycle,” Miss Laverty held up a hand to quiet the murmurs. She wrote the word on the board. “Can anyone tell me what the word means? Or something about it?”

Jonny’s hand went up and waved back and forth. At the teacher’s nod, he said, “My mom recycles cans. I take them out for the garbage man.”

Several other children shared their experiences with recycling. Miss Laverty finally said, “We have time for one more. Sara, did you have something you wanted to say?” Everyone looked at the tiny girl in the wheelchair. She had just started in their class a couple months ago and had never said a word to anyone.

“M-m-m-my d-d-d-ad collects all his b-b-b-beer bottles and -t-t-takes ‘em back to g-g-g-get refilled!” Sara’s face turned red and she looked at the floor as her classmates laughed.

Miss Laverty turned to the class with a frown. “Remember, we are respectful of everyone in this class.” The students quieted, but continued to stare at the little girl, who kept her eyes down. “Thank you for sharing, Sara.”

Pushing her glasses up, Miss Laverty said, “We are going to do an art project with recycled stuff.” Everyone began chattering and looked at the art teacher expectantly.

Miss Laverty explained that they were going to use old boxes, paper, and other items and could make anything they wanted. Then she would take a picture of them with their creation.

The children could hardly contain their excitement. Miss Laverty began assigning helpers to go and put the materials on the big table at the back of the room. “This is where you will get your supplies,” she explained. “What should you do if you have leftovers?”

She smiled as several children in chorus answered, “put them in the recycle basket!” The helpers found boxes filled with cardboard tubes and other odds and ends. They arranged them on the big supply table.

A few children were asked to set glue bottles, scissors, crayons, and watercolor sets on each table. “Sara, could you go to the office and ask Mr. Miller for the colored paper he has been saving for us?”

Sara nodded and began wheeling herself to the door. She had trouble negotiating between the tables and several children laughed as she had to back up several times. A red-headed girl whispered, with a snicker, “It’ll take her all d-d-d-d-day to get to the office and ask for anything!” A couple of others laughed.

Miss Laverty waited until Sara was out the door before she said, “Class, we need to talk about Sara’s disability. She was in a bad car wreck when she was a tiny baby and that is why she talks differently and is in a wheelchair.” The class was silent. “She just got her wheelchair right before she came to our school and is still learning how to use it. It is rude to make fun of people because they look or act differently from us.” She looked around and noticed the thoughtful looks on the children’s faces.

The class settled down and began talking quietly about the projects they were going to make. Everyone glanced up when Sara came back into the room. She made her way through the tables as a few students slid them out of her way. She never looked up, but shyly whispered, “th-th-thank you” to each one.
She handed Miss Laverty a boxful of colored paper scraps and went to her table.

The children began gathering the things they would need. Miss Laverty’s brow wrinkled as she saw Sara’s growing pile: brown paper scraps, twigs, a broken pencil, some beads, sandpaper scraps, and several other things. Everything was a different texture and shade of brown. On the last trip, Sara had a large piece of cardboard cut from the side of a big box.

Soon everyone was busy making and discussing their projects. Sara didn’t talk, but was intently arranging and rearranging items on her cardboard, which she had cut into a rough tree shape. Her tongue was sticking out of the corner of her mouth as she concentrated fiercely. Once, she went to the supply table and carefully selected a bright purple ribbon.

Miss Laverty had been walking around and looking at the projects. Her eyes widened as she saw what Sara was making. With a delighted smile, she walked on. She looked up at the clock. “We have about ten minutes left, class.” Most of the children were finished and began putting their things away.

Sara began slowly picking up the scraps of wood and paper on her table. A couple children helped her and they finally got everything put back on the supply table. Everyone’s project was in front of them and they all looked expectantly at Miss Laverty.

Calling on them one by one, Miss Laverty allowed each student to display their creations. Most were collages made with colored scraps of paper; there were a few who had used paper tubes or twigs as a base. As promised, Miss Laverty used her camera and took a picture of each project and the proud artist.

Sara was last. She made her way slowly through the tables, with a piece of cardboard held carefully in her lap. She sat in front of the class with her eyes downcast and mumbled something in her soft voice.

“Speak a little louder,” Miss Laverty said. “And show us what you made.”

Sara glanced up at her teacher, who smiled encouragingly. “I-I-I al-always w-w-w-wanted a t-t-t-teddy b—bear. S-s-s-so,” she took a deep breath. “S-s-so I made one!” She held up the cardboard and everyone gasped. On it, she had glued a perfect 3-D model of a teddy bear sitting in a tree.

There was instant applause, which made her duck her head, but not before everyone had seen the delighted smile on her face.

© Copyright 2016 K8McP (k8mcp at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2080352-Silent-Sara