*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2081128-Lady-Dragon-Riders---Chapter-Twelve
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #2081128
The adventures of Analia and Elise continue in a far off land.
THE LONE TRAVELER CHRONICLES
Book Two –Lady Dragon Riders

Chapter Twelve

It was difficult to see with the thick swirling fog coating the damp cobblestones and thankfully there was no one out and about. He had received a mind-speak message from the dragon of his Princess Savior and, although it was difficult for him to fully understand, he finally analyzed the thought and came up with the perception that she was in a dungeon and that he and their Knight friend they called, Geoffrey were in danger.

That was the easy part, the hard part came when he tried to explain to Geoffrey that they had to leave the city and meet some people located somewhere on the northern outskirts of the city, people he did not know except via a mental picture the dragon implanted in his mind. After many futile attempts at talking, that turned out to be nothing but guttural sounds to Geoffrey; DarDar finally resorted to pantomime and eventually got his message through. The Knight wanted to rush to the dungeons and rescue Analia and the others; however, he finally realized that without help such a mission was doomed to failure. Not only did they not know which dungeon they were being held captive in, they themselves were obviously wanted fugitives.

As they neared a small bridge over a tributary of the great river, they ran into four guards escorting a cleric and scribe. They kept to their side of the small bridge but one of the guards became overly suspicious at the gigantic size of the man wearing a dark cloak, for he had never seen a person of such giant stature. “Hold,” he muttered to his fellow guards and to the clerics. “Who are eu giant man?” he questioned, turning his attention to DarDar.

They pretended not to hear the guard and slowly continued on their way across the narrow bridge.

“Halt!” the guard yelled. “I asked eu a question?” He slowly walked over to where DarDar and Geoffrey had suddenly stopped. “Remove your cloaks,” he demanded, “and identify yourselves.” The remaining guards and two Church members became curious and joined the suspicious guard.

Geoffrey pulled down the hood of his cloak and slowly turned to the man. “I am about on personal business for my master, a sea merchant,” he answered. “This man with me is a simple dock worker along to carry a heavy box back to my master.”

“Let ‘im speak for ‘imself,” the guard replied.

“He’s mute,” Geoffrey answered. “He was born a mute and cannot speak.”

“Remove your cloak!” the guard demanded, pointing his heavy halberd towards DarDar.

Geoffrey glanced at DarDar and motioned for him to remove his hood. DarDar grunted and pulled the hood down and turned to the guard.

“Whew!” the guard whistled, turning to his companions with a wide grin. “He’s one ugly brute, ‘e is. He took the butt end of his halberd and poked DarDar in the stomach. “Reckon there’s ‘nuff room under ‘ere for two men to hide. Remove your cloak, fat man; let us see what eu’re hidin’ beneath that great tent.”

“Come, Bert,” the cleric finally ordered. “I must not be late for early vespers; we’ve no time to play games with wayward vagabonds.” The guards turned and reluctantly followed the cleric and scribe. They were flustered at the early morning ritual and hoped to have a bit of fun with the two alleged merchantmen, the stoic cleric had spoiled their fun.

Geoffrey and DarDar preplaced their hoods and quietly continued on their journey. Geoffrey did not know where they were going but had the impression that DarDar knew what he was looking for as the giant continued to glance around as if he was searching for a particular landmark or building. They traveled for at least a mile and the buildings began to thin out and the road had long since turned to dirt. They passed the occasional rundown farmstead and a few small warehouses that had seen better days. After another hour DarDar finally stopped and grunted, pointing at a barn-like structure with a hayloft and weathervane resembling a cock on the roof setting off by itself near a thick stand of trees.

As they approached, Geoffrey could see a faint glow of light coming from beneath the weathered wooden doors and the unmistakable aroma of meat cooking. He signaled for DarDar to remain where he was and slowly approached the barn. The boards had quarter inch gaps and as he leaned against them he could see a small fire in the very center of the building and several figures lounging around the fire. Not very tactical, he thought. Anyone passing near would be able to smell the delicious aroma of meat cooking and all they had to do was follow their nose.

“Who might you be?” someone suddenly asked him. Startled, he slowly turned around to see a man standing a few feet behind him holding a long sword at the ready. A quick glance told him that an archer also stood ten feet from them with an arrow knocked ready to release at either him or DarDar. The archer was a pretty young lady with a cute smile and sparkling eyes. Their attire was slightly different than the standard clothing most people wore, indicating they were not from this realm, at least not from southern Britanica.

“We were told that friends would meet us here,” Geoffrey finally responded.

“What friends, and who told you,” the man with the sword calmly asked.

Geoffrey decided to take a risk. “Friends of Lady Audrey and her flying friend told us, told DarDar that is.”

“DarDar?” the man looked puzzled.

“The mountain standing over there that resembles a man,” Geoffrey chuckled. “He was rescued by Lady Audrey and now he’s her pet Ogre. Gentle as a lamb, he is. I am Geoffrey, a close friend and protector of the Lady.”

The swordsman lowered his blade and nodded for the female archer to sling her bow. “I am Ser Sean MacAngus and the archer oer there is Lady Talina Ne Galloise, me fiancé. We are very close friends of Lady Audrey and here to help her. He opened the barn door and motioned for Geoffrey and DarDar to follow him in. As they entered, three other figures stood and glanced at them with neutral looks.

“Says they are friends of Analia,” Sean pointed at the two new arrivals. “Fancy one is Geoffrey and the giant he called DarDar.”

“Lady Audrey,” Geoffrey corrected him. “We are companions of Lady Audrey.”

A handsome man stepped from the fire and offered his hand. “Same person,” he stated with a smile. “We call her Analia, her parents call her Audrey. I am Lord Pieter Scherman from Camalund; this is Lord Ruolf Culloden of the Sidhe, and Kevin Faelan from Alba. Please join us as we break our fast and tell us your story, Ser Geoffrey, if it involves lady Analia I am certain it is a long and fascinating one.”

There were two plump chickens roasting on spits over the small fire and as he watched the dwarf man called Ruolf pulled them free and skewered another one for roasting. He shot a quick glance at DarDar and, mumbling something to himself, added another chicken to the spit. While they ate and waited for the other two birds to roast, Geoffrey spun the tale of how he had met Audrey and Elise and had added DarDar and Kenzy to their group during their amazing adventures on the trip to the capitol. DarDar simply grunted, his eyes fastened on the sizzling birds over the fire.

“An interesting story,” Pieter stated, offering a jug of watered wine to Geoffrey. “Do you know where they are being held?”

Geoffrey could instantly tell that Pieter was the leader of the small group, his bearing and presence reeked of nobility and leadership despite his young age. He could also tell that Pieter had more interest in Lady Audrey than simple friendship from the way he had inserted certain questions as he described their trip. “DarDar received a mental impression that they were being held in a dungeon,” he replied. “However, there are many such in Londinium and the Church also has its own dungeons. I am inclined to think they are being held by the Church because Lady Audrey and Elise saved the King’s life and he would more likely confine them to their chambers and not throw them into a filthy dungeon.”

“Where is the Church most likely to hold them?” Talina asked, “Is there a central cathedral or castle where they might keep noble or political prisoners.”

“That’d be the Arch-Bishop’s Castle,” Geoffrey replied. “It’s located about three miles from the King’s Castle, but it is well defended and almost impossible to get into without a clerical escort. Of course, I know of no one who has ever tried before or even wanted too for that matter.”

“The first thing we must do is make a good reconnaissance,” Lord Ruolf injected. “We must see for ourselves the layoot o’ the place, the number o’ guards, their guard schedule, and what the coming and going traffic consists of. Might ‘elp to obtain some local clothing also, I see we nae dress like the pretty boy ere.”

“I think my skills may be useful in that respect,” Kevin smiled. “I can assume the shape of one of their clerics and hopefully find out where they are keeping your friends, if they are in the Church castle that is”

“Assume the shape?” Geoffrey curiously asked.

“I have the gift of being a Selkie,” Kevin replied. “I assume you have heard of the shapeshifters?”

Geoffrey suddenly felt uncomfortable and noticeably backed away from Kevin. “The Church teaches that they are evil spirits created by the barbaric Druids. They seek to take one’s immortal soul.”

“Your church is wrong, as usual,” Kevin haughtily returned. “The power was given to us by the old gods which your Church tries to deny and seeks to prevent us from following. Those with Selkie ability are sworn to do no harm to man or beast while in their transformed state. Afterwards, we are human after all. Are you a strong believer in your Church doctrine?”

“Not exactly,” Geoffrey condescended. “The Church and I don’t see eye to eye on a number of things, a rather large number.”

“Have you had much rest?” Pieter asked, glancing at a yawning DarDar. “We arrived here very early this morning and have been traveling many hours. I suggest we nap for a few hours to regain our strength before we begin our search. We can leave your friend the giant here to guard our equipment; he will definitely stand out wherever we go. It is doubtful anyone will be looking in this deserted barn for a long spell, if so, DarDar can easily scare them away.”

Geoffrey nodded. “It has been a long night and we could use some rest. I think your friend, the Dwarf, may also draw unwanted attention, there are very few Dwarfs in Londinium and they are all acrobats and jesters in the King’s Castle, and, unless I accidentally meet someone who knows me personally, I am certain I can act as your guide.”

They snuggled into their cloaks and slept for several hours awaking refreshed and eager to begin their trek to the Arch-Bishops Castle, which was combined with a massive monastery. They called it, The Great Priory, because the vast number of monks living there not only provided the only available medical care for the peasantry, but it was also a center of learning and culture with a vast library usually filled with visiting scholars.

It took them several hours to sweep around the outskirts of the sprawling city of Londinium and to reach one of the few outlying bridges over the great river. They stopped in an out of the way shop and purchased some local clothing more appropriate to the region and after another hour of walking in the hot sweltering sun, Geoffery finally pointed to their destination nestled on a slight incline half a mile outside the city proper.

It was a gigantic castle/monastery combination covering twenty or more acres and completely surrounded by a moat which was at least fifty yards wide. Five meter high curtain walls surrounded the entire castle with parapets and battlements. A narrow paved road led out to the barbican, the outer walled defense which had a drawbridge and double tower above a massive gate and portcullis and contained battlements and machicolations. Past the barbican was another drawbridge leading to the main castle also protected by a massive wooden door.

Within the lower bailey or inner court, the stables and blacksmiths were to the left and each corner had large conical red roofed spires five or six stories high. The main building and other inner buildings constructed from stone and mortar were covered with red brick tiles. The large keep towered ten stories above the main bailey and had dormer windows, arrow slits, and battlements at the top. The entire surrounding area was covered with fruit orchards and well-tended farm land.

“Very impressive!!” Pieter whistled nodding towards the great structure. “That’s a city all by itself. It would take a large army to lay siege to such a place.”

There was a steady stream of carts and foot traffic going into and coming out of the castle, merchants, vendors, farm wagons, flocks of geese, chickens, and other livestock being herded. There were also a good number of clerics in robes and cassocks and a few men who looked to be scholars or scribes. Sharp eyed guards wearing chainmail and holding spears kept a steady watch on the traffic, carefully inspecting all carts, and refusing entrance to several complaining pedestrians.

“If you have nae reason for getting’ in, they won’t let you in,” Sean stated. “They act like they’re well trained and pay close attention to their duties.”

“I notice they didn’t stop any of the clerics,” Talina casually remarked.”

“Anyone caught impersonating a cleric is thrown into the dungeons or killed outright” Geoffrey answered, “The same with nobility. I am certain the guards know all the monks and clerics and anyone not familiar would have to show proper documents or a pass. As you can see, there are several scribes mixed with the guards for that reason and they’re even checking the passes of the workers and farmers and those seeking medical help.”

“I suggest we settle in a local tavern and let Kevin find out if they’re being held in that castle,” Pieter stated. “If he discovers that they are, we can work out a plan to free them.” Everyone agreed and turned to leave.

“There was a sign several streets back that advertised the Stag’s Head Pub,” Kevin remarked. “I will meet you there after I have entered the castle and found out if your friends are being held within.” He turned and casually walked down the road towards the castle, closely watching the faces of the clerics who passed him. He picked out a likely subject then quickly wandered into a thick stand of brush just off the road, acting as if he had to relieve himself. Within seconds, he returned to the road as the mirror image of the cleric he had chosen.

As he neared the main gate to the barbican, a guard waved to him with a smile. “Forget something, Father Ingebert?” he shouted. Kevin waved to him and shrugged his shoulders, grunting in consternation. He did not yell back to the guard for he was uncertain what Father Ingebert would have said. They passed him through without question, which was what Kevin was hoping for. Posing as a cleric who had just departed but suddenly changed his mind for some reason was a perfect ploy. The original cleric would most likely be out of the castle for several hours giving him time to look around and leave.

Having little knowledge of Father Ingebert’s status within the castle, and even less of general clerical duties, he decided to change his appearance once inside the main bailey and elected to adopt the visage of an attractive chamber maid, one he knew in Alba. From personal experience he knew they were thick as fleas inside such castles and one more walking around would be hardly worth notice, plus, the guards would more readily confide in a flirtatious maid than a pious cleric.

As he meandered through a large back court he saw several lines stretched between stout poles with a large selection of clothing hanging on the lines which were too fancy to belong to the guards or peasants, obviously noble undergarments. He quickly folded several items then headed for the back postern. The guards posted there grinned and flirted with him but did not interfere as he quickly entered the main keep.

It was just past the noon hour and he could smell the delicious aroma coming from the kitchens where the cooks were preparing food. He dropped the pile of clothing on a bench and made his way to the large back rooms adjacent to the kitchen where the castle staff and guards ate their meals. Spotting half a dozen guards and two scullery maids eating from trenchers at a large table, he walked over and half-filled a trencher with stew, grabbed a wooden spoon, and joined them. Several younger guards immediately took notice of the new and attractive chambermaid while the scullery maids gave him a snide and unwelcomed glance.

“Can’t remember eu around ere, pretty face,” a bold guard stated, throwing a lustful look at Kevin. “Oi would remember a pretty one like eu.”

“Came from the King’s castle, I did,” Kevin smiled. “Bit of a row there between me and the head chambermaid over the foreign witches so Father Ingebert ‘elped me to join the Church staff. I want nae to do with witches and sorcerers.” He was surprised how feminine and delicate his voice sounded, and it was far too seductive.

“Aye, no good comes from those evil ones,” another guard cut in.

“Ow would eu know, Kent?” the first guard replied. “Eu haven’t been guarding the witches, they’e being watched by the special unit under Captain Filbern.”

“Witches are witches,” Kent returned, digging into his steaming trencher and bending over to bight into a piece of the dark crust.

“I thought they were at the King’s castle,” Kevin acted surprised.

“Been ere several days now,” the guard replied, spitting stew from his over filled mouth. “They belong in the Church dungeons not in His Majesty’s fancy castle, and here’s where they’ll burn.”

“I hope they are secure and in the deepest part of the dungeons,” Kevin shuddered. “I thought I was lucky to see the last of them when I left the King’s castle, yet, ere they be again.”

“Rest easy, pretty girl,” the guard called Kent smiled. “Theys as deep down as the dungeon goes an Captain Filbern knows is job, ‘e does. They will never escape from ‘im.”

Kevin had learned all he needed to know and quickly finished his trencher of stew. As he stood to leave, the first guard winked at him. “Name’s Alber,” he stated. “I get off duty at nine bells past midday, be ‘appy to show a new maid around the castle, I would.”

“I might take you up on that,” Kevin replied with his seductive voice glancing coyly at the other guards. “It’s men like you what protects us helpless maids.” He waved to them as he slowly left the room.

Outwardly, he appeared cool and collected but his nerves were frazzled and his heart was beating rapidly. He leaned against the outer wall to catch his breath and settle himself. Suddenly, he felt the powerful presence of another person staring at him and looked up to see a burly guard looking at him with a curious expression.

“Who are you?” the guard asked, reaching out to grab Kevin’s arm.

Panic overcame him for a second, but, then he felt a deep kinship with the strange guard. The only other Selkie he had ever known was his father, however, when they touched one another while shapeshifting, an electric spark of recognition flared through them. “You’re a Selkie,” he whispered knowing that the Church did not countenance the likes of them so this person had to be from the old country.

“I am Kenzy,” the guard replied, “from Alba.”

“Kevin,” he answered, “from Alba.”

Kenzy motioned for him to follow her and led him to a small storeroom off the hall containing sacks of flour and other condiments. If they were caught, it would be chalked up to a clandestine sexual meeting. As soon as the door was secure, they reverted to their true forms. Although it was easy to transition from one visage to another, the longer they remained in their alternate visage, the more difficult it was to maintain it, so it was a pleasant relief to become themselves.

“I was sent here to find if Lady Audrey is being held in the dungeons,” Kevin stated. “Who are you, my Lady?”

Kenzy smiled. “I am a friend of Lady Audrey and Lady Elise. I was captured and undergoing trial as a witch when they rescued me. We were all drugged and thrown into the dungeons here. Using my Selkie abilities, which I did not know I possessed until recently, I escaped and hope to rescue them. You have others with you?”

“Lady Audrey’s friends from across the great sea are waiting for me in the town.” Kevin replied. “My sole mission here was to make certain they were being held here and not elsewhere.”

“They are being held in the most disgusting conditions. We must find a means of rescuing them.”

“The longer I remain inside the castle, the more dangerous it becomes,” Kevin continued. “I will return to my friends who are now at a place called, the Stag’s Head Pub, a few streets into the town. If you can join us there, we can hopefully devise a method of rescue.”

“I have also felt the constant danger around me and I am thoroughly exhausted from maintaining my alternate visage for so long. I will meet you at this pub within the hour.”

As they made their way down the hall leading to the postern exit, they passed a richly dressed young Lord heading towards the stairs leading down into the dungeons. They heard the guards address him as, Lord David.




 
STATIC
Lady Dragon Riders - Chapter Thirteen  (13+)
The adventures of Analia and Elise continue in a far off land.
#2081818 by Oldwarrior
© Copyright 2016 Oldwarrior (oldwarrior at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2081128-Lady-Dragon-Riders---Chapter-Twelve