*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2081225-A-Fitting-End
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2081225
Flash Fiction contest entry
Word Count: 295

The ancient necklace gleamed its reflection in Grady’s greedy eyes. He admired the thick coils of golden rope encircling a dozen large precious stones. Each jewel was smooth, flawless, obvious works of art even covered by so many centuries of dust. He reached out with trembling hands and gingerly lifted his prize over the head of the worn idol; the godly visage staring blankly back at him.

A sudden noise made him jump, spinning quickly, his gun already drawn. The body of his partner lay where it had fallen when Grady had shot him dead. No, it hadn’t come from Bill. Bill was definitely dead. The noise sounded again, a low sharp popping. It came from all around. Grady turned in a circle, searching. That’s when he noticed the cracks forming in the carved brick. Hundred of fissures crisscrossing one another. Panic seized Grady and he bolted for the corridor.

All around him, the walls and ceiling began to buckle and shake. Soil and stonework crumbled and fell about him but he ignored it and ran. The air grew heavy as the passageway caved in around him, filling his lungs. He tossed his gun hoping to move faster. Ahead the exit loomed bright but the ground before him was quickly piling up. No longer caring, he dropped the necklace. The sun’s rays, though dimming, cast off the fallen jewels, creating dazzling shafts of colored light.

Grady stumbled and fell, his foot twisting under him. He tried to stand, adrenaline overpowering the pain but again he fell as dirt and stone weighing him down. The traitor could only watch helplessly as each sparkling pinpoint of light winked out one by one. As darkness and earth enveloped him, Grady wondered if anyone would ever find his grave.
© Copyright 2016 Cupadraig~The Remote Country (cupadraig at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2081225-A-Fitting-End