*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2081440-Polly
by Angel
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #2081440
The story of Polly
He hung onto that picture, the last one she drew, three hearts, one for Mummy, one for Daddy and one for Polly. They had been a family, but now it was broken, and maybe forever. Polly was gone, nobody could tell him where she was, everyone had searched for her, but she had never been found. Jane eventually had a nervous breakdown, he couldn't help her, he couldn't be there for her, he had lost himself in his own world of grief, pain and hope.

It's amazing how three little hearts on a piece of paper could mean so much to someone; Jane has one too, an original, Polly drew one for each of them, including herself; copies were taken and handed out to the family to remember Polly by, a symbol of the little girl that they had lost.

The hardest thing to deal with was being a suspect, she went missing from the garden, it was enclosed, there seemed no way she could have disappeared from there, David was looking after her; of course he was the main suspect. How could they think it was him, that he would ever hurt his little girl. Logically that day, he knew that they would ask him questions, but he wasn't prepared for the horrendous accusations, the hours of interrogation when all he wanted was for them to find Polly.

After six months, everyone had given up hope and most people had already forgotten Polly and got on with their lives. However, today, something changed, David got a call that would change his life once again, they had found her. He wasn't sure what they meant, found who? His mind couldn't process what he was hearing; it was Joe, the detective in charge of the case. They had found Polly completely by accident, they had raided a house in the next town on a drug warrant and one of the men spotted the picture, he realised it wasn't a copy it was an original. They had only been searching for drugs, so they then searched for hidden places and had found Polly in a small cellar, made into a bedroom.

Tears crept down David's face without him even realising, he wasn't even taking in all the details, except that his beautiful daughter was still alive, and all because of the last picture she drew for them.

© Copyright 2016 Angel (angelglory at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2081440-Polly