*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2082690-The-Shell
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2082690
Three Minute Read
The Shell

Mary carefully hid the shell in her pocket. It had taken her over two years to find this shell. Finally, last month after miles walking along beaches whenever she got the chance, there it was. The perfect size, shape, and even the same tiny mark at the edge. Well, almost the same, but a little careful scratching with a pin had made it same enough.

At the day’s ceremony, Mary stood beside Netti, as first handmaiden. She had inherited this position from her mother and her grandmother before her. The ceremony went without flaw. Following Netti back to her private chamber, Netti slipped into her private mode… first superior, then demanding, complaining about the ‘stupid rubble’ she had to lead ‘as if they could be any more than morons.’ Drinking too much wine, as usual, finally, she fell asleep.

Mary slipped the shell out of her pocket to switch it for the shell Netti wore on the chain around her neck. Leaving the room, she went to her chambers and used the real shell to cast her first spell.

When Netti entered her chambers later, she immediately called the guards, outraged at finding her handmaiden asleep in her bed. Mary was hauled off to prison, shouting the whole time, as if she, herself, were being wronged.

Netti immediately called Mary’s mother and grandmother to her chambers. Everyone feared they would be sent to prison too, but were surprised, Netti actually kept them both as personal servants.

People always attributed the change in Netti to those women, she grew into a wonderful leader after that, noble and selfless. Her people truly loved her. Everyone assumed Mary must have been truly bad, Netti never forgave her, and Mary’s mother and grandmother never mentioned her again.

Oddly, Mary didn’t mind at all.
© Copyright 2016 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2082690-The-Shell