*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2082918-A-Four-and-Five-of-Hearts
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2082918
Out of food and money til Monday challenge. Added single pov. Writer's Cramp 4/30
Jennifer sat at the table looking at the few bills and the jar of change. All told it was $10.36. She picked up the shopping list. Formula, diapers, fruits and veggies to make into baby food for Alex and Sam. Food for herself for Friday through Sunday. Payday wasn't until Monday. She scribbled "something chocolate" on the list to keep her sane. There was no way this was going to stretch for that long. She needed a lot more cash.

Jennifer leaned back in the kitchen chair and gazed around the room, thinking about what her options might be. Her husband was in jail again and since it was on the front page of yesterday's paper, everyone knew. She'd already borrowed from those she could the last few times he left her without any money. This time she was on her own.

The newspaper was flipped over so she wouldn't have to look at his stupid face. Five letters caught her eye. It was Poker. She spun the paper around. 80/20 split single winner Texas Hold'em $10 Tournament at the VFW every Friday evening at 7 pm with free babysitting next door at the Ladies Auxiliary. She put the paper down and looked at the boys in the playpen content with each other's company and cooing their secret language. She hadn't played Texas Hold'em in years. Could she make $10 into enough to hold them over? Would losing the $10 make any difference to her plight? It was 6 p.m. She was going to go.

There were three tables of seven set up when she entered the hall. Ten times twenty-one at eighty percent is just over $160. That would be great. Play conservatively she reminded herself.

At the break she had taken out two players and doubled her chips. She had to be very selective on the hands she played. A three and a six unsuited was folded. A three and five of clubs but everyone was in so the hand was folded. A pair of kings dealt to her with a three of spades and a pair of kings in the three cards flopped on the table. A four of a kind. Bet conservatively. Act casual. Reel them in one by one. They are betting on aces, queens and jacks. Four players in the pot.

"What you got little girl?" asked the grizzled old man. "I think you are bluffing. Think she's bluffing, Bill? I think she's bluffing. All in," he said pushing his chips across the line before him. If she matched his bet she would only a few chips left and likely loose the tournament. It was all or nothing right now. She counted up her chips and placed them over the line. "Call," said Jennifer.

A six of clubs on the fourth turn card and a nine of diamonds for the final river card. The grizzled old man turned over a pair of queens, Bill had an ace high with a jack, Roberta had a pair of threes giving her the best hand thus far and Dwight also had an ace high with a jack.

"Show us your cards," said Roberta as she tapped on the table.

Jennifer turned one king up and the table erupted with a collective "Awe." Then she turned up the second king. "Oh my, a four of a kind in Kings. Congratulations," said Brad, the dealer, as he pushed the pile of chips that now made her the chip leader from what she could tell of the other tables.

She lost a few good hands to better hands but now they were down to the final table of six players. The antes were raised every fifteen minutes and they were high. Don't chase the straight or the flush if you don't get it on the flop, she reminded herself every hand. A pair of Aces dealt to her. A scary hand as so much could beat it. A pair of threes and a six on the flop. Two players heavily betting and three all in. A king on the turn and an ace on the river. She could take out half the table and likely win with this hand. But a pair of threes could beat her.

"Raise five thousand," said Jennifer.

A general grumble sounded at the table as players counted their chips and considered their hands. Jennifer turned up her aces and waited. A pair of kings, a pair of tens, a three and four of spades, a pair of jacks and an ace and a nine. Her hand stood and she took out three players.

With only two with hardly anything left, Jennifer couldn't help but smile. Don't get cocky. This is your children's food and diapers.

A pair of queens on the flop with the one in her hand was enough to take out the next to last player.

A four and five of hearts, just like her boys weights when the twins were born. It was a going to be a good luck hand. The last player was betting heavily before the flop and she called him. The flop was an eight and six of diamonds and a ten of spades. He was all in on the flop. It wouldn't break her to call him but it would strengthen him if he won. A three of clubs on the turn. First she was chasing a flush and now a straight. She needed a two or a seven on the river. What was she thinking? She has counseled herself well until this hand.

It was too late now.

What would it be?

The dealer peaked at the card and turned over a three of hearts. The other player tossed his cards over. "Three tens," he said smugly.

"But a straight beats that," said the dealer.

"What?" the other player said and stood up to inspect the hand.

"Three, four, five, six, seven," said the dealer pushing all of the winning cards upward. "Congratulations, my dear. $168."
© Copyright 2016 NeedingBeachDuf πŸ β›΅πŸοΈ (meduf at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2082918-A-Four-and-Five-of-Hearts