*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2083275-Remember-the-Stars
Rated: E · Other · Emotional · #2083275
Landon and Layla are fighting to keep their memories, will they be successful?
Prologue

Would she remember me? Her family? She’d been in this makeshift home for approximately four months. She had been in a coma since she arrived at the hospital that night of November 30th. That was the day that would forever live in my memory. Vivid and true, it would continue to haunt me for the rest of my life.
She suffered from one of the most frantic, chaotic and scary car accident rescues of the decade. She’d never seen it coming, no one did. I knew she shouldn’t have gone without me. She told me she could do it herself, so I let her after we debated the idea. This was my fault. I was told time and time again that her getting into the accident was her doing, I couldn’t even start to believe that. I was the reason, I let her go.


Chapter 1 : Sky Blue
The sky blue eyes opened in front of me. She picked up her head a little to look around at her surroundings. This was the first time she had been conscious since that night. She looked around at us (her mother, father, brother and me/her boyfriend), not quite sure what or who was around her.
“Layla . . .” I said softly trying not to startle her.
She gave me a little glance and a puzzled look. “She doesn’t remember me . . .” I thought to myself. You could tell she wasn’t remembering anything. She seemed distraught and confused about the predicament she was in.
I turned my head away. I couldn’t look at her right now. I knew that I could break down at any moment. She didn’t deserve this, this accident, the memory loss. The memory loss had been confirmed by Dr.Hanson just a few days before she woke up. He’d said that he would give us the details later. We were hoping she wouldn’t have it, but she did. If I could take her spot, I would.
The door to the room creaked open and Dr. Hanson stepped in. “If you could excuse us for a minute Mr.Rodgers, this part is for family only.”
“Alright,” I said softly rising from my seat and heading towards the door.
“No Doctor. Landon is welcome, just like family. He is part of this family as much as any of us,” Layla’s father, Tom, stated to the doctor.
The doctor looked at Tom and gave him a gesture that he understood what was happening. I think he knew that I cared very much about Layla and that I needed to know this information as much as her family did.
I nodded to Tom to thank him as I sat back down in my chair. Considering how long I had been sitting in this chair, it didn’t have that much of an imprint in it.
“Well, now that we have that settled, I would like to give everyone an update on Layla’s condition. She is doing well for just waking up. But the problem is that she has severe memory loss. Which I told you that she would have just a few days ago. We call this type of memory loss, Retrograde Amnesia. This condition is basically what we call memory loss after an incident like this one. It can just be loss of memory of the accident or of past events. It seems that Layla’s has a more severe version making her recovery time longer. She will, however, be able to remember how to speak and how to do everyday things like she used to. People are questionable. She should be able to remember everyone in her life, just not events with those people. She should gradually remember events long ago but events that are closer to her accident will be harder to retrieve. You may want to show her pictures or items from certain events to jog her memory and try to get her to remember everything that she can. I’m hoping she will recover as much as possible within the next year or so.” Dr.Hanson let all of the information he had presented us with, sink in.
I needed to ask him something, I just didn’t know when to do it.
“Does anyone have any questions?” He asked as if he could read my mind.
I slowly nodded my head.
“Yes?”
“So basically she will more than likely remember people but she won’t remember most events?”
“Correct.”
“So she won’t remember all of the dates we’ve been on? All the places we’ve gone together, things we’ve done?” I glanced up at the doctor as his face turned serious.
“That is exactly what I am saying. I’m so sorry, Mr.Rodgers,” He could tell I was devastated.
“Are there any exercises I can do with her to jog her memory other than pictures and such?”
“Well, “ he began, “You need to make sure she is staying active and interacting with people around her. You should try to get her to be very organized, whether that is with her room or her school binders, etc. Also, Mr. and Mrs. Washington, make sure she is getting a sufficient amount of sleep each night and maintaining a very healthy and balanced diet.”
Tom and Georgia nodded. I could definitely do that for Layla. I would do anything for her.
“One more question Doctor,” Georgia stepped in, “Now, when you say that it may take up to a year to regain her full memory, could it be longer or shorter as well?”
“Well . . .”
I stood up from my chair trying to hold myself together. I looked at Tom and moved my head in the direction of the door. He nodded back as if to say, “Go ahead, son, you need to take a break for yourself, just head out to the waiting room and relax.” I walked to the door, grabbed the silver handle, turned it and headed out to the waiting room.
I sat down in an orange and blue plaid chair facing the television. I looked up at the screen. “Great, they have the news on,” I said to myself. A breaking news bulletin flashed at the bottom of the screen. I reluctantly read it.
“Breaking News: A teen is in critical condition after another deadly car accident . . .”
I couldn’t read anymore, I burst into tears. I felt so powerless. I couldn’t get her her memories back just like that, I wished I could. She was the best person I had ever known. She was caring, sweet, kind, smart and so so beautiful. She was the best thing that had ever happened to me. I knew I would do anything for her to recover as quickly as possible. I sat my elbows on my knees and put my hands in my hair. I cried everything out. I wasn’t like this, ever. Crying was not something I did. Cry was not in my book of solutions to problems. It was a sign of weakness. The only time I have ever cried was when I found out that my grandmother had bone cancer. Most people tell me that they’ve never seen me cry. I always reply with, “I know. That’s the way it’s supposed to be. It shows weakness, hence why I don’t do it”. May seem harsh, but in reality, it isn’t, it’s the truth. It was just so hard right now. She didn’t deserve this.
The doctor walked out of the room, shutting the heavy door behind him. I looked over to the door contemplating going inside. I knew I should. I wiped the tears out of my eyes and off of my face and headed back into Layla’s room. I looked around the room at Layla’s brother, Kyle, mother, Georgia, father, Tom and lastly at Layla.
Georgia turned her head and saw the sleep and tears in my eyes. I didn’t want anyone to notice it, but she was a mom, she’d known what I did in the waiting room.
“Landon, head home and get some rest, please. You need it,” Georgia told me, standing up and coming over to give me a hug for all of my aid through-out the process.
“Are you sure? Did you guys need me to bring anything back? Clothes, blankets, pillows, food?”
She let go of me, holding my hands in hers for support. I could see the sleep in her eyes too, she had aged so much over these past four months. She had gotten wiser every passing minute. She looked at me with once hazel eyes that were now grey from sorrow.
“Yes , I am. You’ve done so much already, Landon. Thank you so very much for being there for us and especially Layla. It means the absolute world to us. I can guarantee you that when Layla gets better and she finds out how much you have done for her and us, she will love you more than she did before this happened. We love you, Landon. And you do not have to bring us any food . . . Unless you get a frosty and fries!”
We laughed at that last comment. It had been an on-going joke between our families since Layla and I had been together. Every time Layla and I went out, we would always end our dates with sharing a large frosty and a large fry. Oh, and we always had to get the twist because she loved vanilla and hated chocolate while I was the opposite. It didn’t matter if we had just ate 30% of our body weight for dinner, we got a frosty and fries.
“Hahaha!! Thanks for that, that’s the first time I have laughed since the accident. I have to be here for you guys and Layla. It’s my job to protect and care for her, along with her family. I don’t know if she could love me more than she did before. I love you guys too,” I responded with a little grin.
“Awwwww, Landon. You’re such a sweet boy. And thank your parents for coming to check on her as well. We appreciate it.”
“I will.”
I hugged her again, tighter this time so she would feel reassured that I would still be there for them during this hard and terrible time.
“I’ll see you in a little bit. I’ll take a couple hour nap and come back as soon as I can, “ I said to Layla’s mom as we came apart from the hug.
“Alright, don’t rush. Oh and be careful!” She called after me as I opened the door to Layla’s room and peered back at her with a smirk.
I walked out of the hospital and into the dark morning. The lights in the parking lot lit up the cars enough for me to recognize my 2007, black Dodge Charger that I had gotten for my 17th birthday. As I got into my car and sank into the cool, leather seats. I could smell the cold air of the early morning mixed with leather. ( Add description? ) I leaned back in my seat and put the keys in to start the car. I turned on the radio to try to keep my mind off of everything.
As I drove down the road, I tried not to think of Layla. I heard her favorite song come on the radio.
“You were the song stuck, in my head, every song that I’ve ever loved.”
I began to cry, slowly at first then faster as I got farther away from the hospital. This was all too much. There was so much to think about and it was so difficult not to turn around and just hug and cry with her, even if she didn’t remember me.
As I thought about all of the possible ways that this situation could get any worse, I finally reached the little gravel drive that led to my apartment complex where I was on the highest level with no one underneath me to bother me as I would try to sleep.

* * *

As I cried myself to sleep that morning, I thought about Layla. I pondered on the questions of when she would leave that dreaded hospital and when she would remember me. Let us just say, I hoped the answer to both questions was, soon.

Chapter 2: Return
Layla was released from Grand View Hospital a week after she awake from the coma. The doctors had predicted that it would take her up to a year to remember any memories or certain people. She was doing great for only being out for five months. Not surprisingly, she remembered Becca, her best friend since kindergarten, as if it was just another day. The only thing, well person, Layla didn’t remember, was me. It really shocked me because she remembered almost everything within the first few weeks of recovery. I had helped her for a few weeks and then her mother had said that I should take a break so I could focus on the upcoming school year which started fairly soon. I was attending college at Delaware Valley University, a smaller school around Doylestown, PA. It wasn’t too far away from our city, Sellersville. I was majoring in Criminal Justice.

* * *

I gasped as I awoke from the nightmare I was having. I sat up in my bed and rubbed the sleep from my eyes. I looked around my bedroom as I thought about what I had going on today. “It’s today . . .” I murmured to myself. I ripped the blankets off of myself and got up to get dressed.
Today was the day that I was able to go see Layla for the first time in three weeks. Her mom called me a few days ago to set up a visit with her and I could not have been more thrilled.
As I finished dressing, I walked down the hall to the kitchen. It was a decent size considering it was in an apartment. I opened the fridge hoping to find something that satisfied my appetite but nothing sounded good. I closed the door, turning around to find a box of poptarts on the counter.
“Hmm, poptarts . . .” I thought to myself as I considered the possibility of them even tasting good today. But they were chocolate fudge, how could I resist them? I couldn’t. I grabbed them off of the marble countertop and opened them, sticking two in the toaster to heat them up.
I walked a few feet into the living room and snatched up my phone to text Georgia to see if it was still alright that I came over.
Hey Mrs. Washington. Is it still okay if I come over today? How is she doing?
I threw my phone on the couch as I heard the toaster pop. I took hold of my manly breakfast, putting butter on the non-frosted side of the poptarts. I ate a quick bite of the first piece of chocolatey goodness I pulled off from the poptart.
My phone sounded from the living room.
I grabbed it off from the couch and looked at the new message.
Hello Landon. It is still perfectly fine if you come over today. Layla is doing very well . She is remembering everything, just like it was yesterday!
I typed a quick response while I threw the rest of my breakfast in my mouth. I struggled to keep the food in my mouth but I somehow managed.
That’s great! What time would work for you guys??
Anytime would be wonderful! How about you come over for lunch, would that work for you?
Of course! I’ll be over about noon-ish.
Alright, that works. Layla said see you soon!
* * *
I drove down the winding dirt driveway up to the mid-sized house. It was grey with white shutters, with the garage attached to it. I parked on the right side of the garage, getting out and opening the rear door of my car.
I reached into the car and grabbed the roses I’d bought for Layla and her mother. There were ten in all seven red and three white. I shut the door. I turned around, heading to the front door of my girlfriend’s house. Well, kind of my girlfriend.
I knocked on the large door, waiting for someone to answer. Georgia opened the door and smiled.
“Come in, Landon, come in!”
I followed her into the beautiful home, open and colorful with the most perfect girl sitting on the couch watching a movie. I wondered if she would remember me now since she had finally remembered everything and everyone else.
“These are for you and Layla,” I said smiling and handed the roses to her mother.
“Why thank you very much, Landon. You are too sweet.”
Georgia placed the roses in a large purple vase on top of the dining room table. She took a few steps into the living room and gestured for me to have a seat next to Layla. I sat next to her with no problem at all, just happy to see her. Georgia also took a seat, but in one of the many recliners in the house.
Layla smiled and calmly looked over at me to find my dark green eyes staring at her beautiful face.
“Hey Landon.”
I was stunned that she knew my name. “Hi, Layla. How are you? I haven’t seen you in so long.”
The conversation was starting out great. I was shocked. Considering she had been in a coma and had had severe memory loss. It was just like the good ole days.
“Yeah, I know, I’ve been recovering from a car accident.”
“I know you have. I’ve been waiting for you to come back and be healthy again. I stayed with you as much as I possibly could.”
“Stayed with me, in the hospital?”
“Yes, I did. It was my responsibility as your boyfriend to do it. You needed me, so I stayed and gave you everything you needed.”
“Wait . . . boyfriend? I had a boyfriend? What . . .I’m confused . . .”
She gave me the oddest look. How could she remember my name but not remember that we were dating just before the accident?
“Yes honey. You don’t remember Landon?” her mother interjected. She could sense that Layla was getting very scared and curious about the situation.
“No . . .when you said Landon was coming over, I thought you talking about a family friend so I just went with it. No one said anything about me having a boyfriend.” I could tell that Layla was getting very frustrated. She didn’t know who was in their house and I don’t think she wanted to know.
“Layla, when you said okay and acted like it was nothing, I thought you remembered him. He cares for you very very much and only wants you to be okay and for you two to continue where you left off. He was a huge help during the time we were waiting for you to recover.”
I started to say something but then decided against it when Georgia gave me a nod that she had it handled.
“But Mom, we obviously can’t continue where we left off because I don’t remember where it left off!” She began to raise her voice, “Why don’t I remember him?! I remember Becca, Terry, you, Dad, Grandma, Grandpa, Aunt Laura, Aunt Claudia, I remember them and I remember my cousins and everything I have done with them! Then why don’t I remember you!?” Layla pointed at me as she stood up from the couch.
“I . . . I don’t know . . .” I didn’t want to make her even more upset.
Layla let a single tear fall from her eye. She began to sob as she sat back down on the brown suede couch. Now she put her head into a pillow, facing the cushions and sobbed softly.
I moved closer to her. I cautiously reached out my hand to gently rub her back. At first, she flinched, then began to calm down as I continued to do it. Soon she stopped crying and turned to face her mother and I.
“I just don’t understand. Why would I remember everything except the one person that supposedly means the world to me? It doesn’t make any sense.”
“Honey, we have no way of answering that question.”
“How can I remember him? There must be some way that I can get his memories back.” Layla said this in a very hopeful tone, a way in which I thought that she wanted to make sure she recalled who I was.
I thought about the idea as they continued to talk about what they could do to remind her. It had hit me.
“Wait . . . what if I could help her remember?”
The women’s faces gave me a questioning glance.
“What do you mean, Landon?” Georgia asked as I could tell she was very happy that someone came up with an idea that might actually work.
“What if I take her on all of our previous dates? We would go to all of the different places we went to before, eat at the same restaurants, it would be great. ”
The idea hung in the air, waiting for someone to snatch it up and agree that this was the right thing to do. Georgia and Layla looked at one another in a mother-daughter way that I sort of understood but not enough to say anything of it.
“That is a great idea. Are you sure you want to do it all over again?” Georgia, always protecting her only daughter.
“I am sure. Layla needs me, so I will help her. I owe it to her.”
© Copyright 2016 Marie Smith (hoagaut0 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2083275-Remember-the-Stars