*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2083710-Lisa
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2083710
Three Minute Read
Lisa

Lisa listened to her parents arguing quietly. It happened most nights, she was used to it. She sat looking out the window, mentally grading the argument. Her mother was cleaning up after dinner, her father, frustrated at another meager meal, started complaining. Mom took it personally, and began defending her side. Lisa could tell their hearts weren’t into it tonight, they’d probably had pretty good days all in all. She gave it a C. They rated an F when the words really hurt, an A when it was short and they made up quickly. They didn’t realize how predictable they were.

It was the frustration they felt, Lisa never let them know she could hear them. They were wonderful parents; they did everything for her. When her father was laid off, he’d had to take odd jobs whenever he could. Her mother cleaned houses, but it was hard work and long hours and she was carrying the load financially. They were nice people, and so they kept the frustration private, unfortunately it tended to explode when they were tired. Lisa made sure she went to her room early to “study” giving them time to unwind and reconnect.

She opened the shoe box and looked at the lovely pink sneakers, a birthday present from her parents. She hadn’t worn them yet, she didn’t want to spoil them knowing how much it had cost her parents to make sure she felt special that day.

Turning back to her studies, she sighed. In a few years she could get a job, but this was all she could do right now. Study hard; make sure she got a scholarship, went to college, and secured a financial future.

Because then she could take care of these beautiful people she loved so much.
© Copyright 2016 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2083710-Lisa