*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2084281-This-Too-Shall-Pass
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2084281
A young man's strange day
Christopher stumbled out of bed after hitting the snooze button five times. Glancing at the grandfather clock that has been in his family for as long as he could remember. After realizing what was the real time he screamed "crap" and ran into the shower. As he tore his t-shirt and boxers to the floor. Absentmindedly he stepped through the glass door with his slippers still on. Quickly washing himself he did not notice his slippers until he bent over to was his feet. Another "crap" came out of his frustrated self. So, Christopher knew he would have an eventful day. Not good eventful but round the clock troublesome. This was no surprise to him as it was after all Friday the 13th.
Christopher quickly dressed throwing on the pants he wore yesterday and a shirt he picked up off the floor. He appeared disheveled but at this point he didn't care.
He was a reporter for the local newspaper in Salvin, Ohio. A rural town with less than 1000 residents. Located on the outskirts of their little town stood the Gilmore Shoes factory. Owned by the Gilmore Family who believed they also owned the city and all of the residents.
Driving into work Christopher was pleasantly surprised he was't running later than he was. He decided to stop at the local diner to pick-up the strongest and blackest coffee in the state of Ohio. After a few sips he was in full on caffeine buzz ready to face the day.
The Salvan Daily News was located at the end of a rocky dirt road. This road sent small pebbles crashing into his 73 Nova. A classic piece of falling apart metal.
As he pulled into a parking spot he noticed his editor and office manager standing outside of the employee entrance. Both appeared intense with arms crossed across their chest and a serious look to their faces, Considering the type of day he was having he walked nervously towards both of them.
Christopher moved closer to them realizing that their faces held a noticable excitment. This confused him even more. Quickly both of them said at the same time Christopher we have the story of a life time and it is yours' if you so desire. Quizidly he glared at the two of them. Taking the bait he said sure what do you have for me.
His editor explained to him that just outside of town there was a large flare of light as well as a loud crash shaking the earth slightly. Both wanted him to go and investigate. Christopher knew this could be big. The biggest story he ever published.
As he slowly walked towards the crater he initially felt the warmth radiating from the concave structure. Glancing down into it Christopher noticed a medium sized silver circular ball. At once he knew what this was. Unable to hide his excitement Christopher clapped his hands knowing they had come to take him home finally.
© Copyright 2016 zoomsqrd (zoomsqrd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2084281-This-Too-Shall-Pass