*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2085185-Time-Flies-Unless-Youre-Hogtied
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Crime/Gangster · #2085185
Don't ever assume you know who is knocking at your door.
Time Flies (Unless You're Hogtied)
When I caught myself yawning for about the fifth time in the past two minutes, I noticed it was almost three AM. Time flies when you surf the web, and I had just about surfed away my entire night’s sleep. I had time to crash for four hours, then get up and get started on a busy day. I took a step or two towards the bedroom, and a then a knock at the door further complicated things. It’s got to be the girl from down the hall. Who else would be knocking at three in the morning? Another yawn as I approached the door. In my mind’s eye I’ve got a snapshot of what I saw when I opened it. My eyes focused on a big gun with two big figures behind it.

Before I could even begin to react in any way, a very big, heavy hand came crashing down on my shoulder,driving me face first into the floor. I realized I was being handled, and within what seemed like five seconds, it was done. I found my hands tied together very tight behind my back and my feet were sticking up in the air behind me. Thirty seconds or so earlier I was on my way to bed. Right away there was another shock to be absorbed. The socks I had worn that evening were tied together, and the knot was shoved into my mouth. Then it was tied at the back of my neck so tightly that it almost strangled me. I couldn’t believe how tight it was. I was frozen with fear, lying there trying to come to terms with the gag, when one more shock came my way. The world went dark all of a sudden when a pillowcase was forced over my head. These things happened in a very efficient, probably well-rehearsed manner. Those guys were professionals.

I was alone and trapped! In a world that had shrunk so small I could feel it touching me all the way around my head. It was truly a world of my own inside there. I could actually hear my heart pounding away, and felt it vibrating the floor under my chest. My cheeks felt like they were on fire because of the socks tearing into the corners of my mouth. The trauma was so dramatic that I didn’t even think about the fact that there were intruders inside my apartment. They didn’t make any noises that I could hear, until finally I heard a very faint voice say something like “Go ahead, I’ll be right behind you”. Only then did the fear of being murdered or raped hit me, and I tensed up as if to brace myself for the worst. I didn’t move a muscle for what seemed like an hour or more until I was aching so badly I had to roll around a little bit. When nothing happened and I didn’t hear anything, I decided they must have gone. That’s when it really sank in on me that I was the victim of a crime, and I could very well be dead rather than tied up. It was a slightly welcome moment of clarity after all the shock and confusion I had been going through in that cocoon. I was stuck inside a tunnel that didn’t have an exit at the other end. Like a nightmare, or some kind of stupid horror movie. And it was very surreal, except for all the pain, of course.I struggled with my arms and legs for a few seconds, “testing the water” so to speak, and trying to reassure myself that I would get free soon. All I had to do was get serious about it. Well, when I did get serious about it, I got nowhere; and my heart sank when I had to accept the fact that I couldn’t even locate a knot on my wrists. They were still just as tight as when it first happened. My whole face was sore now from the gag. How could they have tied it so tight? Obviously my survival didn’t mean a helluva lot to them. When you see someone gagged on TV, you don’t see the pain that you feel when it happens to you for real. It grabs your complete attention, and never loses it. I look back thinking a piece of duct tape instead would have been just fine.

What was I going to do? How long has it been? I had no conception of time living inside there. And any intrigue the thought of being helpless had ever had for me was out the window. I didn’t like it! And wanted to be untied right this minute, but it was so hopeless. All they had was a little piece of rope, maybe three or four feet long; but one time around my wrists and once around the ankles was all it took. It was nice that I was alive, but I sure wasn’t very confident about my prospects for the future at that point. I used the rope to pull my feet up to my hands, and was able to put my fingertips on a knot, but it was way too tight to do anything with in that position. I couldn’t allow my spirit to sink completely though. I knew I had to stay strong if I was going to get through this, so I kept up a steady self assurance that I was going to be OK. My heart still felt like it was going to pound its way through my ribs. This was no time to have a heart attack, and I decided I had to try to settle down before I exploded. Eventually I got to the point where I was able to lay a very sore cheek on the floor. I was beginning to gain my composure now, but I still had a long way to go. I needed to rest and think.

I was able to lay there long enough to settle down slightly before a troubling thought stirred me back up. For some reason, the memory of a mouse I saw two nights ago popped into my head. Great. Now I have to wonder if that ugly little shit is about to crawl down my top. Or up my shorts, with no panties on. It turned out to be a blessing, because that was what lit a fire under my butt. I made up my mind it’s time to get this thing off my head. Now with some determination, I started dragging my sore face along the floor, trying to slide out of that terrible little world I was stuck in. Every time I felt like giving up, I immediately fought the urge off; and eventually, one big effort made the pillowcase rise up onto my chin. A wave of cool air hit my now soaking wet neck, and of course, my lungs got their first breath of fresh air in who knows how long. It gave me some much-needed encouragement. Now if I can just get it over the gag and my nose, maybe I’ll be able to just pull my head right out. I got back to work on it, and pretty soon that’s exactly what happened. I started crying for the first time when I escaped from that, and I allowed myself to get some real rest for the first time in this ordeal. There was no mouse to be seen, but also I didn’t see anything that would help me get free either. Now my sense of hearing was also back, and the building was completely silent. We’ve had some new creepy guys move in recently, so there was no way I was going to try getting help right now. I didn’t want to be found like this, completely helpless. I couldn’t have even managed a decent scream with that big knot in my mouth. I couldn’t think of anything I’d have any chance of reaching that I could cut myself loose with. The despair was starting to creep its way back in now, and I had to get back to the business of fighting it off again. Looking back, I’m fairly pleased with the way I handled it, considering the stun I took at the beginning.

Finally, a brainstorm happened while I was taking a breather. There’s a lighter on the end table in the living room. Or at least there was, if those guys didn’t get it. It seemed like it was a mile away, but I started inching my way along, all the while thinking how bad I want to get this gag off. I still wasn’t sure what I was going to do once I got over there, but I’ll deal with that when I get there. I stopped for a short break about halfway across the apartment, and came up with a plan of how to position myself to tip the table over. And prayed the lighter would still be there. If I can burn the rope between my hands and feet, without catching myself or the building on fire; I’d still be tied up but at least I’d be able to move around. There are plenty of knives and scissors here. The robbers couldn’t have gotten them all.When I made it over to the table, it was a major struggle trying to knock it over in the position I was in.I didn’t have much of a kick, but I eventually worked it out. As soon as it fell over, I saw the lighter tumble, and after a couple minutes of nearly breaking my neck trying to turn around to see what I was doing, the rope flamed up and my legs were able to break it. It was such a relief on my back and legs to be out of the hogtie. After patting the fire and making sure it was out, I struggled my way onto the couch, and prepared myself for a trip to the silverware. I was thinking what a drag it would be to come this far and then fall and crack my skull on the way to the kitchen. And my legs were still pretty tight, so I sort of tip-toed my way along. Made it to the silverware and found a steak knife. Remembering that people commit suicide by slashing their wrists, I figured it might be a good idea to stand there and steady myself before giving this a try. It was good that I did, because it was hard as hell to do. I had to stop twice because of cramps in my arms, and it was frustrating. I got a couple of scratches out of the deal, but when that rope finally snapped, it was one of the happiest moments of my life. With my legs still tied, I started tugging away at the gag, and let out a muffled scream of frustration when I couldn’t get it off. So I cut my legs free and sat down to pick at the knot, which of course was also very tight. When I got it untied, those socks went straight in the trash.

After a bathroom break, I walked around to see what was missing. Just about everything of any value was gone, but I didn’t care. Then I remembered I had to go pick up my Mom at eight o’clock. My dollar store alarm clock was still there. I stood there staring at it in disbelief. 4:35 ! That can’t be right. It had to have been longer than an hour and a half. It was right tho. What seemed like an entire night was only 90 minutes. After a shower, I fell asleep sitting at the kitchen table, and barely woke up in time to go. When I looked in the mirror, there were extremely obvious, bright red marks at the corners of my mouth, running halfway around my face on both sides. I hadn’t even thought about that. My God, there’s not enough makeup in the world to hide this from Mom. What’s she going to say? What do I tell her, my boyfriend put my ball gag on too tight? I thought for a second and Yeah, maybe I will tell her that, unless I think of something better before I get there. It’s better than troubling her with what really happened. I decided not to call the police. I don’t like them or trust them very much, and figured they would do their best to make me out as being at fault, one way or another. On my way out, I had to stop and turn around. I went to the refrigerator and got a little piece of cheese for the mouse. He helped, in his way. I tossed it back in his corner.

© Copyright 2016 lisalee (lovelylisa001 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2085185-Time-Flies-Unless-Youre-Hogtied