*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2085515-The-Mayfly-Incident
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest · #2085515
Other worlds contest entry
Utilizing all Three Prompts

Image of Space Station = Mayfly

Words = Abandoned, Diaspora, Toxic

Unobtanium = Crysotal

CC = 17595
WC = 2937

The Mayfly Incident


"Captain to the Bridge, Captain to the Bridge."

Captain Ron Jameson yawned heavily and blindly reached over with his left hand to slap the intercom button by his bed. "Jameson here." he muttered tiredly, rubbing his eyes.

"Captain, we've entered the Deneb System. There may be a problem, we've tried to contact Mayfly Station on Sub-Space without any result." Came the concerned voice of his First Officer, Michelle Hall.

Michelle Hall had been with Jameson and the Free Trader Heinlein for almost three years. If she sounded concerned thought Ron, then he better feel concerned.

"On my way." Jameson sighed as he cut the connection. He rubbed his eyes again and muttered, "Lights dim." He swung his feet over the side of his bunk as the ships computer adjusted the lighting in his compartment to a dim setting that he normally preferred when waking. He glanced at the 'status wall' as he dressed, that showed all of the Ships systems and their current state. Everything was in the green and it looked like they were on schedule for their rendezvous with Space Station D01A, otherwise known as Mayfly Station. He noticed that they were almost stopped and not running at their normal speed for in-system maneuvering. Not a good sign.

Jameson stepped into the hall and his compartment door slid silently shut behind him. He noted the dim lighting in the hall and glanced at a chronometer, spaced evenly throughout the corridors of the vessel, as he headed toward the Bridge. 3 a.m. ship time. He grunted to himself and quickly climbed the ladder leading to the upper deck and bridge. He entered the bridge and noted that most of the senior staff was already present and at their stations.

"Status report please." said Jameson as he seated himself in the command chair. A small video screen slid up from the right depicting the Deneb system and the ships current location relative to everything else in the system. He felt the seat adjust to his body and quickly noticed there was a second vessel indicated on the screen, in addition to his vessel and that of the station.

His First Officer walked up to his seat looking at her Data pad, she definitely looked concerned.

"We exited Hyperspace about 30 minutes ago as scheduled. We failed to receive any answers to our hails on all frequency's and then that," Michelle motioned to the second ship indicator, "Just appeared on the scanners." Replied his First Officer disgustedly. "They aren't answering anything either." She motioned toward the main screen which showed the complete system with all trajectories and data of every heavenly body that would be a concern to navigation. "We immediately reduced speed to minimums on my orders and notified you, as you can see, nobody's moving much."

Jameson smiled at his First. "Okay Michelle, spill it."

"We're too far away to get any kind of accurate readings from the ship or the station. Long range scanners are not picking up anything else in the system, unless they're hiding behind a planet or the sun. So to put it bluntly, this isn't right. It feels bad. We should be getting some traffic on a sub light feed." She crossed her arms and shivered. "It doesn't feel right at all."

"Have we done a systems check? Maybe the communications are down on our end?"

"No, Randy did a diagnostic. He bounced a signal off the stations beacon and got the default acknowledgement. They either cannot answer, or they are choosing not to."

"What about the unidentified ship?"

She shrugged, "Nothing, the signal didn't bounce."

"Crap."

Michelle smiled, "That an opinion or an order?"

Jameson stood and looked around the Bridge, "OK people, here's what we are going to do. Randy, get a signal through to somebody outside this system and get an acknowledgement. We need to make sure that communications aren't completely being interfered with."

Randy nodded from his station and began setting his console up.

"Michelle, get on the board with James, I want schematics of the station and I need fleet information on any Free Traders or known Common Wealth Fleet vessels that may be near. Harry, let's plot a course toward the unidentified vessel and stay at maximums. Just get us close enough for a full scan." He paused as everyone began to follow his orders.

"Harry? How long for that intercept?"

"Sir, if nobody else changes course or speed, we'll be in range for a scan in approximately 30 to 40 minutes." Harry looked at his screen again, "30 minutes sir, confirmed."

Jameson quickly sat back down and flipped the intercom to Engineering. "Rico?"

"Rico here Boss." Jameson smiled. Rico was the only one on the ship that never addressed him by name or rank.

"Rico, I need full power on everything. I want to be ready for anything. You have fifteen minutes before we start putting a load on the reactors. Be ready for an emergency jump if we need it."

"Okay boss, Fifteen minutes."

Jameson disconnected and glanced toward his weapons team. "Jake, Chris. Get ready to wind everything up. Minimum shields now, go full in fifteen."

"Aye," said Jake as his hands danced quickly over the Defense console. "Shields warming up, full in fifteen."

"Chris, spin up all missile launchers and set targets for all mounts except two. Target the unidentified vessel with everything, then the spare two on the station. In fifteen I need full charges on all Laser and Disruptor mounts."

"Aye sir." Replied Chris, glancing over at Jake and raising an eyebrow.

Jameson took a moment to watch his crew go about their tasks then turned and studied the strategic and tactical views on his forward view screen.

"Jeeves?" he asked.

"Captain." Came the computers voice from the ships speakers.

"Integrity check please."

"All systems are operating at peak efficiency. Structural Integrity is at 98.4%. Shields are set to minimum power. Standard deflectors are operating, although there is a slight fluctuation on deflector four on the starboard side. I am unable to adjust it properly." Replied the ships computer. Jameson always wondered why the ships builder had programmed the ships computer to sound like a British Butler.

"Send the deflector report to engineering. They'll need to manually adjust it."

"Very well, sir. Will there be anything else?"

"Negative." Said Jameson.

"Sir?" Jameson turned toward James, his Science officer. "I've begun a low level scan of the unidentified ship. It appears to be a 'Courier' class Free Trader. Unable to determine life signs, not reading any reactor or power signatures. There also appears to be some debris around the vessel. I didn't want to do anything more powerful than that without your approval."

"Debris?"

"I believe so. I have the main body of the ship identified, but there is definitely bounce back on the scan in addition to that. I can't tell unless I do a full power scan."

"Stand by on that. Can we get a visual without increasing our scan?"

"Yes sir, on screen"

Everyone turned to the forward viewing screen as the visual of the unidentified vessel appeared.

It was immediately obvious that the vessel was severely damaged. There was carbon scoring indicating weapons fire on the ships outer hull. There were also to obvious hull breaches on the side of the vessel facing them. They also could see bits and pieces of the vessels engines spinning and expanding away from the main hull. The engines appeared to be completely wrecked.

"Melissa," barked Jameson. "Stations! Set condition 1."

Melissa immediately activated the General Quarters alarm. She depressed the Comm. switch. "Set Condition One. This is not a drill." She flipped off the intercom. "Stations Set."

"Full scan on this system James, right now!" Jameson sat back into his seat and strapped down.

He could hear the blast door behind him rumble shut as the lights dimmed and shaded to red. He noted that all of the other bridge crew members had strapped down except his first officer.

James continued to manipulate his controls. "No detected vessels or power systems registering. I am getting a bounce from unidentified vessel and the Station. No other vessels detected. No power signatures or subspace communications."

"Stay Alert. Harry, let's move a little closer to that ship. One Quarter thrust. James, I want a directed full scan on that vessel." He motioned to Melissa, "I just had a thought. Do you think this might have anything to do with the Vreen?"

"Vreen? I hadn't thought of that. They were settled here weren't they? On the fourth Planet?" Melissa's lower lip protruded slightly as she thought of the ramifications of Vreen involvement.

The Vreen were a peaceful race of beings, that by and large, liked to stay out of everyone's business. They were largely ignored by the other races and were content to worship their god 'Lynmeer'. Part of their religious practice was to burn a form of incense called Crysotal. The effect of the incense on the Vreen was minimal, just a very nice scent to them. To Humans, Crysotal smelled like rotting flesh, a very Toxic drug that could kill if too much was inhaled at once, but it was one of the most powerful Hallucinogens Humankind had ever experienced, and gotten addicted to. A very small amount in an inhaler could generate a 'Euphoric High' that could last for almost 48 hours.

The problem was the recipe could not be reproduced in a Lab like most synthetics. Its ingredients were extremely rare and only the Vreen Priests knew how to produce it.

Thus began the Hallucinogenic Wars. Three long years of violent warfare between the Vreen, Pirates, Smugglers and finally Federation Peacekeepers. The Vreen refused to share what they felt was the most sacred of practices with a 'heathen galaxy'. It ended with the Vreen Home world in ruin. In order to prevent future warfare and the spread of the very potent drug. The Federation relocated the Vreen to a world in the Deneb System. A system at the very far end of the galactic arm. A true Rim world.

Melissa tapped her forefinger thoughtfully on her chin. "I don't know Ron, the Vreen have never been very violent, if that's what you're thinking. They've never used their technology for military practice, until the wars I mean. There's been no record of that after the re-location either."

"Well, if you experienced the Diaspora of the Vreen from Galapori, you might have an ax to grind as well. They sure figured out how to fight quickly enough." said Jameson, he glanced at the Board, "Better strap in we're going to maneuver." Jameson checked the board a second time and saw everything was in the green. He had full reactor power available now and if necessary he good do an FTL jump to exit the system.

"James?"

"Scan is Negative Sir. No power readings of any kind and no life detected." He replied soberly. "Extensive damage detected to all areas of the vessel, she was gutted. Shock and blast damage. She was boarded."

"Captain," said Randy, pressing his headset to his ear. "I'm not detecting any kind of communication from any planets in this system. I know two of the planets are occupied, but I'm not getting a Peep out of anyone. I sent a Communications request to the Federation outpost at Rellia IV, they acknowledged our message."

"So it's not us." Muttered Jameson.

"I don't like it." Said Chris turning from the weapons station. There should be something. It's never this quiet in a system."

"What would cause a whole system, Space Station and Ship appear to be abandoned?" added Jake. "If this was a battle, as it appears to be with this ship. Why isn't there a beacon? Why not a cry for help? This looks like it happened recently, we would have been in a position to hear and respond if they asked for help."

"Actually," said James. "It appears that the damage most likely occurred within the last 24 hrs."

"I've gotten a bounce back from Mayfly, maybe someone there has an answer?" said Randy.

"Randy, if there was somebody there they would have answered." Replied Chris. "I just don't like this."

"Okay everybody, put a sock in it." Ordered Melissa. "Captain, I've identified the Ship. It's a 'Courier' classed freighter called, well translated means "Darkmoon". Registered to the Free Traders Guild. No history on the captain or crew entered."

"Pirates." Muttered Chris.

"Belay that!" snapped Melissa. "We don't need speculation, just facts."

"Harry, best speed to Mayfly." Ordered Jameson. "Stay Sharp everybody. Let's not get surprised by anything."

Two hours later, the 'Heinlein' slowly approached Mayfly station. Mayfly was a standard outpost station that slowly spun in orbit around Deneb's second ringed planet.

The Station had a center disc with three separate Hanger attachments for landing vessels as large as a medium cruiser. There were two smaller hanger pads that were located below the larger stationary hangers that slowly rotated at the base of the stations main structure. Mayfly could house approximately 3500 individuals, but rarely went over 800 personnel with the occasional freighter crew to share in the stations limited recreational facilities.

James brought the station up on visual. "Scanning, limited power. No life signs."

Jameson cursed. "What is going on?"

The station had similar blast damage as the Darkmoon and there were several breaches visible.

"Is there a War?" asked Randy. "Because if there is, nobody told me."

Melissa looked at Randy disapprovingly. "Any communications at all?" Randy selected and cycled through several channels.

"Not a peep."

Jameson started to reach for his harness strap when Jeeves voice suddenly filled the bridge.

"Warning, Incoming FTL jump." Jeeves said calmly, "Weapons and shields detected."

"Maneuver!" yelled Jameson.

"Maneuvering!" yelped Harry.

"Torpedo Launch Detected!" Bellowed Jake. "Activating Point defense!"

"Jam them Jake, Chris, Lock on to that vessel with everything and standby. Harry! Open a channel all frequencies. James who is it?"

"It's big! No classification, don't have anything in the computer that matches this!"

"Tactical!" roared Jameson. Immediately the Bridge crew settled into long practiced battle skills and began responding in order of station.

"Moving at .24 Ce and increasing speed, enemy vessel is at Mark 123, 17 positive on the 'Z' axis just entering Sub Space, .19 Ce and slowing" Harry yelled as he tightened his shoulder straps, "We're gaining separation."

"Sixteen inbound Fusion missiles, all are tracking. Engaging with anti-missiles and point defense Lasers. The enemy vessel appears to have Ion cannons, Lasers and Type III Disrupters. All are charging. Heavy Armor and type IV Shields." Said Jake as he reached up to verify the EMS and EMP systems. "Active jamming, EMP armed."

"All weapons are active and tracking. Positive lock." Said Chris, fingers poised over the launch command keys. "Standing by."

"Detecting fighter launch from attacking Vessel," came Jeeves voice suddenly. "Alert! Multiple FTL Jump signatures detected. Weapons and Shields detected."

Jameson glanced at his tactical display. His ship was passing Mayfly on its far side and was between it and the Star in this system. The first vessel was what would be considered behind and to the right of him slightly above his vessels path or at positive 'Z'. The two new FTL Jumps were toward the left and down, or minus 'Z' to his ships current course.

"It's getting crowded here." Said Jameson. "Time to intercept on the new contacts?"

"Twelve minutes." Said Harry.

"Jake?"

"We've knocked out eleven of the incoming torpedoes, the rest appear to be confused by the Jamming. Not sure if they can re-lock. But for now we're good."

"Chris, fire at will." Jameson looked toward Randy, "Send a tight beam to the Federation
Outpost. Let them know we are under attack."

"Missile launches detected." Said Jeeves calmly.

"Captain?" said Jake. "Missile launches from all three vessels." He turned to look at Jameson with a puzzled look on his face. "The first vessel has launched a volley of four missiles toward us and twelve at the second vessels. Second contacts are firing volleys at us and the first vessel."

Jameson stared at the tactical for a few seconds, he turned and looked at Melissa. She stared wide eyed back at him. "Harry! Jump us out of here! Now!"

Harry jumped in his seat but immediately slapped the 'panic' button that initiated a pre-planned emergency jump that would put them safely into hyperspace toward the nearest friendly system.

The ship shuttered as the hyper-drive engines spooled up.

"Detecting hyper jump jamming at 12%" Jeeves said calmly.

The ship suddenly bolted into hyper drive. The visual on the forward view screen was replaced by Deneb's tactical map as they hurtled safely through Trans-space.

"They had FTL Jammers!" gasped Melissa. "That was too close!"

"Secure from Stations." said Jameson wearily. "What the heck was that all about?"

James walked up to the captain and showed him his data pad. "Those last two were Transaryan. Destroyers I think." He shook his head. "That's a long way from their normal stomping ground."

"Let's try to figure this out. Section briefing in 15 minutes. Bring everything you have. I have a feeling we were just witnesses to the beginning of a shooting war. If it has anything to do with the Vreen and Crysotal, well this might just be the beginning of the Second Hallucinogenic War."

As the crew digested that, they gathered their data pads and waited for their relief to come to the bridge.

Jameson sighed heavily.

"Jeeves?"

"Yes, commander?"

"Watch the Store."

"Yes sir."

Jameson left the Bridge.


© Copyright 2016 Bedrock - The Lurker King (bedrock459 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2085515-The-Mayfly-Incident