*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2085739-Memorial-Day
Rated: E · Article · Activity · #2085739
A brief article about Memorial Day
Memorial Day is the end result of the consolidation of holidays held for warriors, who died for a cause, which they believed to be important. Every since the minute men could be called up at a moment’s notice; the USA has had valiant individuals who are willing to defend freedom.

On this day, May 31, 2016, stop and think about why each war was fought. Some of the wars I can think of include: the Revolution, the Civil War, WWI, WWII, Korea, Viet Nam and Iraq. I know! You can think of many struggles that are not listed here.

Each conflict disrupts life for families of military people. What we perceive as normal, regular living is preserved by people dedicated, to the cause of allowing everyday routines. Routines such as school, work and family life keep the nation stable. This blessing is for those not involved, in the actual combat. Start counting from the beginning of the USA. You will be amazed at the amounts and different types of wars that have been waged.

Strictly speaking, Memorial day evolved from the civil war. The day was proclaimed by General A. John Logan as a day to decorate the graves of men known to have died in the war. It was called Decoration Day. Today the public and the government still take time to decorate graves with flowers and flags. This is also the day a wreath is laid at the tomb of the unknown soldier in Washington D.C.

Memorial Day has gone through an evolution process as time progresses. Even though, we have Veterans Day at the end of Summer to honor all Veterans. Memorial Day, has begun a special effort, in the last 26 years, to honor those fallen military personnel, who have survived wars.

Starting in 1989, The National Memorial Day Concert has been held on the West Lawn of the U.S. Capitol. It is broadcast live by PBS. The cast is a group of dedicated Hollywood stars and well known musicians. This year, as in other years it will be hosted by Joe Mantegna and Gary Sinise.

Some of the music will be provided by The Army Chorus,The Navy Sea Chanters and The U.S. Air force Singers. Other well know musicians will also provide entertainment. The entertainment lightens an other wise somber reminder of the casualties experienced, by families of the military.

The concert is seen by our military, in at least 175 countries and on naval vessels, where they are stationed. It is a reminder to the enlisted people, that the country remembers them during the year.

One of the most interesting features of this concert is the revealing stories of individuals, who have died or been wounded in battle. These true life stories are contributed by family and friends, who have suffered through the loss of a loved one. Or, have watched a wounded warrior struggle back from the physical loss, that accompanied injury, in the line of duty.

Once submitted, some of the emails and letters are read publicly on stage, to commemorate or honor deceased and wounded military members. Real historical stories about individuals and the battles they fought are a part of this presentation. Visit the Wall of Remembrance at the website dedicated to The National Memorial Day Concert, where you can read and submit letters, emails, and pictures of loved ones.

It takes a special type of person to dedicate 4 to 20 or more years of their life to the military existence. Our military personnel are not just warriors. They carry on a battle for freedom, that involves helping other countries understand how to gain freedom, from oppression and terrorist threat. Oppression can stifle the will and the thinking processes. Our military personal are teachers, ambassadors and friends even when another culture does not understand what freedom of speech and the pursuit of happiness really means.

Let’s use the last Monday of May, of every year, to recognize the holiday. As we understand what this holiday has meant since 1868 to our great grandparents, grandparents, and parents we can recommit to the search for positive freedom. We can appreciate what it means to be away from home on foreign soil resisting terrorism in its many forms.

Think of the families and friends of warriors waiting every day for the confirmation that their loved ones still live. Think of what Memorial Day means to each one of us.
© Copyright 2016 Apondia (judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2085739-Memorial-Day