*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2085946-Meeting-the-Parents
by Kenzie
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2085946
5/31/16 Flash Fiction prompt: bread, hands, pearl; Word Count: 299
“Jason, stop!”

The light sound of feminine laughter filled the room as Sarah tried to avoid the teasing hands of her boyfriend. Her task was made difficult by the fact that her own hands were buried in a mound of dough she’d been kneading.

“Behave or this bread will never be ready in time for dinner. Everything has to be perfect.” Jason’s parents were coming over, and it was to be the first time they’d met the woman who had enthralled their son for the past six months. The chore of making bread was enough to keep Sarah’s mind and body occupied enough to not let her nerves reach the surface. She’d met parents before, but none of the men she’d dated had meant as much to her as Jason, which made everything all the more nerve wracking.

“You have nothing to worry about,” Jason replied huskily, his arms wrapping about her from behind as he planted a kiss to the curve of her neck. “You are perfect. They’ll love you.”

Sarah leaned her head back, eyes narrowing as she looked at her boyfriend. “You’re just saying that because you have to. And because you’re hungry and don’t want to fend for yourself for dinner tonight.” Reaching up she dabbed a bit of flour on his nose, then ducked away from his hold, giggling as she finished the bread and slid it into the oven.

Hours later, Sarah stood before the mirror, a navy blue dress wrapped around her trim figure. Nervous fingers fidgeted with the dainty pearl earrings Jason had given Sarah for her birthday.

“I told you there’s nothing to worry about,” Jason said, reaching for Sarah and pulling her in for a kiss. Just at that moment the doorbell rang, and his eyes lit up.

“Showtime.”
© Copyright 2016 Kenzie (dark_rose222 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2085946-Meeting-the-Parents