*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2085972-Client-states
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Essay · Political · #2085972
Essay on the purpose and role of client states in history and in today's world
By the late Nineteenth and early twentieth century, world power such as those of Great Britain , France, The United States and many other powers possessed many spheres of influence. From Hong Kong, South Africa , Panama , The Middle East and Southeast Asia these types of governments and there territories would leave an impact so immense in our daily lives that if a superpower was to lose all its client states , the prices would rise leading to inflation.Over the years the creation of this kind of state has left great impact to the people who inhabit these areas of the world and there mindset leading them to be a potential threat or an ally to the super powers of the world.

A client state is a government that depends on a superpower or empire to aid the country economically , the purpose of the client state is to provide resources to its superior government (the superpower) in exchange of various rewards such as money or high political status.The emergence of the client state can be dated back to the Delian league formed by the city state of Athens. This practice soon was popularize during the age of imperialism and decolonization. the client state as it is known today was beginning to emerge in the nineteen fifties with decolonization in Africa , British India and Southeast Asia.

Client State are usual third world countries, they run on corrupt governments which hold rigged elections and have officials appointed by there higher power. In which in return the client states will allow foreign companies to exploit the land of civilians and tribesmen to exploit the mineral deposits that an are might contain. Client states are also countries where sweatshops are abundant due to the low cost companies can pay the workers and the high production rate.

Examples of this can be found all throughout history. At the end of the Spanish American war the United States gained possession of the Spanish colonies it acquired, one of them being Cuba which instead of being an American territory the United States let the country be sovereign but with a government that supported all U.S interest on the island open, this lasted until the fall of Fugencio Batista in 1959 with the start of the Cuban revolution.Syria was a french colony until it was handed over to the British later Syria gained its Independence and was subsidized by the soviet union ( now the Russian Federation). this and the clash of cultures and foreign interests in the countries valuable resources resulted in what is now the Islamic state and the Syrian civil war which is the fight against the modern imperial west and the people of Syria and its customs.
.
© Copyright 2016 freethinker (sv06 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2085972-Client-states