*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2086330-It-Started-Out-Bad-But-Ended-Great
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Sci-fi · #2086330
They saved up for the perfect anniversary/vacation. It's not what they got though.

It Started Out Bad, But Ended Great


     “Will you please hurry up.” Dyvon was glancing over his shoulder as he continued running down a corridor. Floating at waist level, with several different sized boxes, was a metal table – without its legs. “We already missed one SpaceShuttle. I don’t want to miss another one. Especially since it’s the last one of the day.”

     Running right behind that Floater was Ephona. She also had a Floater, with boxes, behind her. “It wasn’t me that made us miss the last one. You are the one who couldn’t find our Teleport Transfers.”

     Dyvon rounded a corner – and suddenly stopped. His Floater did too by bumping into him. The entrance at the end of that corridor was starting to close. “Stop. Don’t leave without us.” Dyvon grabbed one of the boxes behind him and tossed, rolled, it toward that entrance. It wedged with about an inch to spare in that entryway.

     Ephona almost ran into Dyvon when she rounded that corner too. She sidestepped at the last second to stop beside him. Her Floater hit his. They looked at each other for a second. Then ran for that entrance. An alarm sound got louder as they got nearer to it. The box blocking the entrance got kicked out just as they got there. Dyvon reached out and grabbed the entrance before it closed.

=====-=====-=====-=====-=====-=====

     “What do you mean we lost our Sleeper Assignment? We asked for that room specifically. That’s why we made that assignment almost a year ago.” Dyvon looked angry.

     “It was ten years ago today that we became One. We spent our first month together as One in that Sleeper. That’s why we requested that specific Sleeper.” Ephona looked almost as mad as Dyvon did.

     Standing behind a see-through counter Korri, according to the badge on her shoulder, appeared nervous. “I’m sorry, but when you didn’t show up on time we gave your Sleeper to someone who needed it.”

     “We need it more.” Dyvon leaned over that counter. “I want that Sleeper – and I want it now. You just tell whoever is in there to get out.”

     “I can’t do that.” Korri glanced at the Data Monitor in front of her on the countertop. “There are two Young Ones in that Sleeper now. I can’t ask them to leave.”

     Ephona got between Dyvon and the counter. “We really want that Sleeper. Isn’t there anything you can do to help us.”

     “I’m sorry, but I can’t. We are busy all year. But it’s even busier this time of year.”

     “Does that mean you don’t have any Sleeper Units available?” Ephona asked.

     Korri tapped her monitor several times before answering. “There is one that was refused. I don’t think that you will like it either.”

=====-=====-=====-=====-=====-=====

     Dyvon walked right into the Sleeper in that Unit after the entrance sled open – and he walked in. He scanned the room as Ephona joined him. That Sleeper took up almost the whole room. They had to walk against the wall to barely get around it to the other side. “Korri was right. I hate it too.”

     Ephona sidestepped right next to Dyvon as they headed for the other side of that Sleeper. She stopped next to a small window. Dyvon continued to an entrance into the Personal Care Center. Ephona could see where he went from where she was at. “At least we have a good view of the water.” She said looking out that window.

     “We saved up all year so that we can spend our anniversary/vacation here. What do we get in return – nothing but problem after problem. I say we leave here too.”

     “Calm down. It’s not that bad. So what if this Unit is beyond small. We aren’t going to be spending much time in it anyway – except for when we’re not sleeping.”

     “How do you expect me to be a man in a room like this? I’m probably going to break something just trying.” Dyvon asked as he came out of the Personal Care Center.

=====-=====-=====-=====-=====-=====

     Ephona looked up at a large hotel looking building as they walked down the sand hand-in-hand. She had her head on his shoulders. The water was nipping at their bare feet.

     Sitting on long folding chairs Dyvon and Ephona sipped on a drink between them. The drink was in a human height glass container with small tubes sticking out all over it. Touching one of those tubes extended it so they could drink out of it.

     Dyvon and Ephona held hands across from each other in a dimly lit room until what they ordered arrived. They only broke contact to feed the food to each other to eat.

     They didn’t do much sleeping at night. Dyvon and Ephona spent most of the time cuddling. Just before each cuddle session they were involved with each other.

     Ephona and Dyvon also did some sightseeing. The small village they were staying at for a month was very beautiful. They held hands as they walked all around that village.

     Dyvon didn’t really like shopping. He only did it to please Ephona. Most of the time he spent watching a Floater next to him. Ephona came out of a building with three more small boxes. She put them on the Floater. Then headed for the next building.

     After their month there they left. On the way out of that building Dyvon and Ephona walked hand-in-in again. “Despite what happened when we finally got it this was the best vacation I have ever had. It was definitely the best anniversary.”

     “How can you say that? I will admit it was a lot better than I thought it would be. It wasn’t that good though.”

     Ephona smiled as she looked adorningly at Dyvon. “Because I am going to have your baby in about ten months.”




© Copyright 2016 PureSciFiPlus (purescifi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2086330-It-Started-Out-Bad-But-Ended-Great