*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2086572-Around-The-World
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #2086572
A yo-yo is just a yo-yo - or is it. You have to read it to find out for sure.

Around The World


Up and down, up and down. That’s what I do all day. Which was exactly what I was doing right now. Kimberly was walking down the street she lived on. She was headed for her best friend’s house.

The reason why I know that was because I could hear her on her cellphone when she was talking to her friend about coming over. I was in her toy chest – toward the bottom of it. So it was hard to hear her. It was even harder because that teddy bear was on top of it.

I’m glad I wasn’t that teddy bear when Kimberly came looking for me. She tossed that bear against the wall getting to me. Of course, she threw out almost everything she had in that toy chest of hers. Her bedroom looked like a trash dumb after that. At least, that’s what her mother, Gloria, called it when she came in there a few minutes later.

Gloria insisted that she clean up that disaster before she went anywhere. They argued about it, sometimes very adult, for about an hour. At least, that’s what Kimberly said it was. Kimberly finally gave in. She said she would do it. Then she started searching through her toy chest again. Kimberly said she would clean it up after she found what she was looking for.

Kimberly continued to toss her toys around. Only now she threw them to the other side of that box. She rubbed one then the other bruising cheek where her mother just slapped her after one of her adult comments.

There were four of us under that teddy bear. Kimberly picked up two of them before me. She even started to walk away when she tossed it next to the other one. I thought she was going to do it to me too when she started playing with me. Kimberly threw me toward the other two. Only she was playing with me. I didn’t even see her put the string on her finger.

Of course, I don’t remember much once she starts playing with me. I get dizzy very quickly. Even faster when she plays ‘Around the World.’ She plays that a lot. In fact, she plays it most of the time. I’m a little surprised she isn’t doing it now on the way to her friend’s house.

Kimberly only played with me for a few seconds. Then she tossed me on her bed. I bounced three time before I finally landed. She then cleaned up her room – by throwing everything under the bed. Why she didn’t throw it back into the toy chest I don’t know. I think it’s because she was still mad at her mother though. Who came back after she had finished to make sure she did it. Of course, all she really did was stick her head in the door and looked around a little with her eyes. Gloria never really did take a good look at it.

By the time Kimberly got to her friend’s house I was pretty wasted. If I had eyes they would be spinning. I was that dizzy. It was hard for me to hear what they were saying because of it. What I did hear I couldn’t believe.


“If I give you this then you will be my boyfriend. Right?” I was being shown to Brandon.

“You can’t be my girlfriend. You’re barely ten and I’m almost thirteen.”

“I thought we were friends. That’s why I brought you my favorite yo-yo.” That was a lie. I know because I’ve heard her say that her favorite was the one she almost brought with her. I’m her favorite to play with, but I’m not her favorite.

“We are friends. You just can’t be my girlfriend. Maybe in a few years when you get older I might. Not now though.” He did take me from her. Brandon put me on his finger and immediately started playing ‘Around the World’ with me.

Kimberly smiled. It was hard for me to see it with all the spinning around. I did see it though.
“I like to play that too. See, we do have a lot in common. Does the age difference really matter that much to you?”

They both played with me for several hours. Most of the time it was ‘Around the World.’ I’m not sure how long it really was. it seemed like forever to me. I do remember one of them saying, I’m not sure which one because of my dizziness, something about they couldn’t believe it had been that long. He, or was it she, said a time. I’m not sure what that time was though. After that Kimberly left – without me.

This has all been a fantasy. After all, everyone knows that a yo-yo can’t speak or think. We don’t have a mouth or a brain. Then again maybe we do. If I did have a mouth you would be seeing a big smile on it.



© Copyright 2016 PureSciFiPlus (purescifi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2086572-Around-The-World